The Dragon Prince Discussion Topic

The title says it all pretty much.

right off the I just want to say that I’m not a big fan of this show; I went into it hoping that it would be good, but was prepared for it to be bad. I’m more so just interested in why this show is getting a lot of praise when I personally feel that it’s just sorta average at best.

4 Likes

Isn’t that the show that had the Avatar: TLA writer?

3 Likes

Yeah pretty much

2 Likes

I’ve heard its really good, but have yet to watch it. The abysmal frame rate is a huge turn away.

3 Likes

Honestly I would recommend you check it out just for the sake of it even with the frame rate, you can get used to it even tho it doesn’t really get any better.

3 Likes

Alright.

Of all the recently released Netflix shows, Hilda is by far my favorite, but this looks pretty good. I’ll give it a watch when I can.

1 Like

I really want to try this out, as I’m a die-hard Avatar fan, but as Primal said, the frame rate is a big obstacle in me trying. It’s a production choice I just don’t quite understand. Does it at least get sped up in action sequences, or is it stuck like that the whole time?

3 Likes

it’s mostly the same the whole time, tho from my memory it did look worse whenever a character was running around especially when it’s being shot at a distance.

3 Likes

Oh joy…

2 Likes

Honestly I would recommend watching just for the sake of curiosity, I personally don’t think it’s very good and I’m kinda shocked as to why the majority of people I’ve seen think it’s amazing, but if you are interested it’s best to just watch through it and make up your own mind on it.

3 Likes

It’s a good show. Even those the animations and frame rate are kinda off, the plot, characters, and overall story is really good.

2 Likes

Good show. Waiting not so patiently for season three.

Aunt Amaya for the win!!

2 Likes

Binged this show and I absolutely love it. My favorite character has got to be Rayla. She manages to both pull off the kick@ss serious assassin feel while also being the awkward and emotionally flippant teenager that she is. Being able to believable and effectively flip back and forth between intimidating warrior and adorkable goof is amazing. And then they throw a Scottish accent on top of all of that, which I love immensely.

Other favorite characters would be
Callum, all admit partially because he’s one of the main characters, but because he’s also a really good character. Even if he is just diet Sokka sometimes.

Ezran, the surprising single voice of reason while traveling with two bickering teens, as well as being really responsible and confident for his age.

Bait, who is just the goodest boy. (Seriously that one part when he shoved a bunch of jelly tarts into Ez’s cell and then jumped down there himself. That was beautiful) and he also has so much more visible emotional depth and range than I would have ever expected out of the tag along animal sidekick.

Soren. Just Soren. He’s an absolute idiot but he tries his best. That’s all I think I need to say.

Amaya, who is hands down the best aunt character I’ve ever seem in anything ever. And also uses a shield as on offensive weapon which I love.

And Gren. Where do I even start with this lad. He’s just so absolutely pure and I love it.

5 Likes

I know no one cares, but that’s not gonna stop me from posting on a 4 year old topic to ramble on about a show almost no one will care about!

I have kind of a love hate relationship with this show. On one hand, I really appreciate what the creators tried to do in making a morally gray fantasy show still aimed at kids. There’s some really nice visual design, some of the character concepts are cool (especially Aunt Amaya, she was the best for a while).

The problem, is that the writing is just baffling. As I mentioned, the show tries to portray this big conflict/war between elves and humans as a complicated morally gray cycle of violence. But it’s just not. The elves are 100% the bad guys in my mind, and the show fails to produce a good reason to justify their actions against dark magic. I can’t say too much without getting into spoiler territory, but the main antagonist named Viren should be the main protagonist. It honestly feels like someone wrote a story about a character who wants to do the write thing, but is surrounded by fools who won’t listen to him, and is out of good options, thus pushing him farther toward an ends justify the means mentality. Instead, it felt like the show took that character, slapped a few random, uncharacteristic mustache twirling moments, and made him the main villain. There’s a bunch of other problems with the writing throughout the show, but it’s just so baffling how popular it is, and how rarely these issues seem to be addressed (though it looks like the fandom is recognizing them more lately).

If anyone’s curious about the show, I’d say go ahead and watch it; it’s not too long, and even though the writing does fall flat, it’s still entertaining (even if the entertainment does sometimes come from how unreasonable everyone is aside from Viren).

4 Likes

I must admit I was hesitant for a good while to write anything in the Entertainment section of the MB explicitly to express my feelings about this show.
It has nothing related to the message board itself but more of my often temperamental nature when it comes to things I love inexpressibly. (As in this case.)

So, the fact is that TDP not only became my favorite animated series on Netflix after I’d watched its first three seasons back in 2019, But it is, at the moment, has become my most beloved & adored show since Atla. :smiley:
Sure, it has a few minor writing issues, especially in the first season, but after that, it improves in miles with each step.
The 4th season did retain some of the less appreciated aspects of the 1st season, which is a bit unfortunate but understandable as S04 served as an introduction to the next Arc of the story (The mystery around Aaravos (the main antagonist).), so it’s forgivable, IMO.
The characters are all very intriguing and well-written, my favorites are still the story’s leading trio for various reasons I would like to explain in more detail, but I don’t have time for it now.
The world of Xadia also feels rich in myths and awe.
Overall, these are all I could write about this show.
If you haven’t seen it yet, give it a try!
It is worth it! :wink:

Although I see where you’re coming from with these criticisms, I still feel that some of your points are not factually correct.

Well, except that a human mage used dark magic to turn the Dragon’s king Avizandum into stone thus waging war across the entire continent of Xadia. If I recall correctly, the prologue narration at the very beginning of the show mentioned that humans wanted dark magic because normally they couldn’t use “regular” magic. (or at least, most of them…) Plus, we did see in Viren’s case but once in Callum’s, how dark magic can corrupt a person’s mind and soul very easily.

-First, He’s not the main antagonist, that is Aaravos, the star-touched elf, who was prisoned into that mirror, that Viren found in his former friend, King Haarow’s room after He was assassinated.

-Second, no offense, but had we watched the same series? :stuck_out_tongue:
It was clear by the end of S01, that He was anything, but a good person.
He tried to kill His Best friend’s sons without any good reason, with His son and daughter.
Then, he tried to lead the other human kingdoms into a fatal war with the elves.
And last but not least, He tried to take over His friend’s kingdom from the rightful heir to the throne ( Prince Ezraan ) and almost turned that into a full-on dictatorship.

He is also incredibly smug, arrogant, and hypocritical towards anyone, who disagrees with him.

So, no.
He would’ve been a terrible protagonist. :no_entry_sign:

Breaking News! The trailer for the 5th season is here:

Edited for Triple Post - BioKnight

2 Likes