The Elder Scrolls

I agree. MMO and Elder Scrolls(To me anyway), don’t mix together well. From what I heard, it throws Lore out the window of the 87th Floor, and it isn’t even that fun to play. The only appeal for me was the exploration possibilities, but even that was ruined. Hopefully we won’t have to wait long

2 Likes

It’s debatable…tbh I haven’t cared enough about ESO to look into its treatment of the lore in any detail. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeeeuuup. The quests are boring and it’s not truly “open-world.” It also feels like a single player game that just happens to have a bunch of other people in it; all the quests presume that you’re the one and only Savior of Nirn ™.

I dunno, I’ve heard a lot of speculation that it might not come out until 2019. :frowning:

1 Like

Uh-Oh. Welp…I guess I may have time to finish Oblivion. And Morrowind. And Skyrim. Never finished the main quest for any of those.

But at least we’ll (Probably) get it.

That’s why ESO doesn’t work with me. There is no 500 Nerevar(s), or Dragonborns or whatever you want all rounded up who just so happen need to save Tamriel. It just seems a little odd

1 Like

Revive

It’s not, if you’re in the Ebonheart Pact or DaggerFall. The Aldmeri Dominion however is fun, not skyrim/oblivion fun, but enjoyable. especially since there is this entire location just full of monkeys to attack

Oblivion has the best main story in my opinion. Your not the ultimate saviour guy, your the ultimate saviour guys friend and it has some nice quests. Quests that involve mass battles and nice, calm quests to balance it out. The dark brotherhood quests were also amazing, although Skyrims dark brother hood questline felt big, and was very rewarding. Dungeon delving in skyrim is fun, I did not like it in any other elder scrolls game. I rarely dungeon delve now though. There also aren’t any people left to get random quests from in skyrim, because:

4 Likes

Me and bro were interested in Skyrim (thanks to PBG), so we decided we may wanna try it, but we decided come summer sale we’d buy Morrowind instead.
Best.
Choice.
Ever.

Basically my entire family was invested in that game for six months, and we only bought Skyrim around the nov sale that year.

I thought Morrowind was much better than the later two. The story really had me invested and interested in the world around me, which gave me motivation to explore.
Skyrim and Oblivion really didn’t do that for me.

3 Likes

That’s an awesome story! And I agree about Morroiwnd having a much better main plot than the others. I love all three games, but I like the later ones more for particular sidequests and gameplay elements than for their main stories. Though I thought the Civil War in Skyrim was very well-done…except for the actual questline itself. XD

2 Likes

Morrowind’s Story is one of the best, IMO. Oblivion was great too, and I think everyone should give it a shot. I love it :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah that questline was basically run here do that, run here so this. It also broke many quest that start off in the major cities.

2 Likes

Exactly. If there had been an actual plot that wasn’t copy-pasted after the Jagged Crown quest, it could’ve been awesome.

Really? Didn’t know about that; I always waited awhile to do it in my playthroughs.

2 Likes

Speaking of plot both sides have nigh identical ones. I would have liked a different experience with either side.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. Behtesda has always struggled with having the time/resources to create multiple paths for the main quest. In Morrowind, they wanted you to be able to join up with Dagoth Ur (which would have been great, because Dagoth Ur is very well-developed as a character and actually raises some valid points against the Tribunal) but they weren’t able to include that in the final game*. I think with Skyrim, they decided it was finally time to include a branching main quest, but ran out of time in the rush to meet the 11/11/11 release date. I really wish they’d waited a bit longer to release it…it’s good as it is overall, but it could have been much better.

*There are a couple of mods that let you do this. I haven’t played them yet, but I’ve heard the one called Great House Dagoth is very well-done, whereas the one called Sixth House makes Dagoth Ur into a generic mustache-twirling villain.

2 Likes

With Bethesda games the main quest usually feels restrictive. you have to side the blades, The brotherhood of steel is your friend, etc. the other quest are usually where the games shine.

2 Likes

So true. You have no idea as to how much I wanted Dagon to win in Oblivion. But it would require far too much work on Bethesda’s part. If the final conclusion had multiple options, then alot would have to change, depending on how you choose to end the main quest. For example, if you could stick to Harkons plan in Dawnguard, then it’d be night for ever and vampire attack would be too common to just be random, and many people would die. I know thats not a good example, but you should all know how Tamriel would have to change if Dagon won.

Here’s something I wondered about Skyrims ending.Be aware though, I’m basing this off whatever I hear in game. I learn about the world of tamriel with my character, I dont research it. But anyway, during the battle with Alduin, if you died, seeing as you die in battle, wouldn’t you just be instantly resurrected in Sovernguard and could continue fighting. Also, you have a Dragon soul. A Dragons soul is immortal, the body is not. It’s exactly the same with the dragonborn, so surely the dragonborn could also go into the same kind of mental state as the Dragons do when they die, at the very least? So there for wouldn’t the dragonborn be immortal? One of these, if correct, contradicts the other.

1 Like

I think that is possible (I’m not an expert, though), but it’s also possible that your soul would go somewhere else–perhaps to Akatosh, or if you sold your soul to one or more of the Daedric princes, to one of their realms.

2 Likes

I am the sort of person to research the world of the games I play. I have read a good portion of the lore pages on UESP. Given my knowlege I’d say your theory could be true but As far as returning to sovngarde you need to have behaved as a ‘true nord’ in life so anyone who completed the thieves guild, dark brotherhood, Daedric quests or arguably the vampire side of the dawngaurd add-on would not return there. then again as you said maybe the dragonborn’s soul is different and it wouldn’t go to the various planes of oblivion/aetherius. I think that one of my favorite theories for how the dragonborn’s story ends is here: (note it does contain spoilers so finish dragonborn before watching)

Oh by the way I consider myself to be pretty well versed in elder scrolls lore so if you want a quick summary on any given topic just ask. If you want a detailed explanation then check here: UESPWiki - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages

2 Likes

UESP is great–much better than the TES Wiki, if that even needs to be said. XD I need to read more of the in-game books, though, especially the 36 Sermons of Vivec.

2 Likes

Luckily UESP has the books archived. I once tried collecting all the books in just skyrim I stopped after a week of trying.

2 Likes

Yeah, collecting books in-game is super hard unless you use UESP to tell you where they all are. XD

1 Like

Huh, I quite like that guys theory. It would definitely, partly, explain how Cicero could be the adoring fan, if he really is. I was wondering how they could explain the civil war in elder scrolls 6, if they do. But one of the paths for Dawnguard would have to be non canon, a what-if scenario. Which means Elder scrolls 6 can either have the Dawnguard events be forgotten, or one of the paths be canon while the other was a what-if scenario. In Skyrim they dont try to mention anything involving choices in Oblivion, so it seems your character in Oblivion could have still done all that stuff, just you never hear about anything other than the main quest. Sheogorath is the only thing that can contradict your character from Oblivion, because he’s an imperial. An Imperial would be the obvious choice because if he is the Champion of Cyrodiil, an Imperial was the default race in Oblivion, but still that was the only time I noticed that events contradicts previous games player actions.

Anyway though, what would everyone like to see in Elder scrolls 6? I honestly hope for more choices and role playing mechanics similar to Morrowind and Oblivion. Repairing, bartering and persuading was alot better with those games. Also, a far bigger main story. Not incredibly longer, but one with bigger battles and more interesting quests than run and kill.

I did a quick check on EUSP because why not, and I seem to have all the books in the game. I dont have the Oghma Infinium though, because I left the Lexicon in the Dwarven ruin, and I dont feel like going back.

2 Likes

Tbh, I want to see what Fallout 4 is like before I start hoping for things in TES 6. Things like repairing and better persuasion would be great, but I’m afraid they’re gonna continue the trend of simplifying everything. Really hope I’m wrong, though. Another thing I’d love to see is more armor pieces and clothing layers–Skyrim lets you have 4 armor pieces and no layers, as opposed to 8(?) armor pieces in Morrowind and three layers (clothes, armor, robe).

2 Likes