The Lego Movie 2, The Second Part

I never intended on stating that as a fact, it was just one of my flaws I had with it, but thanks for the advice.
As you said, Mandr is always getting in trouble for doing that…

But yeah, personally, I didn’t like the songs. They felt very forced into a movie didn’t really need them, and instead of being catchy, they were rather annoying to me. “This song is going to get stuck inside your head” was probably my least favorite.

In this case, it was supposed to be. And it worked rather well.

Not for me, I guess.

This film’s secondary protagonist was a teen girl. It makes sense that there were would be catchy pop songs, since that’s a huge part of her world (just as construction, police and superheroes were a big part of the first film because they were a big part of young Finn’s world).

That’s the point. The whole scene is a brilliant critique/satire of alternative therapies, modern pop music, idyllic Pleasantville-style 60s suburban America and probably some other stuff that I’m missing.

On top of that, the scene has some really fun visuals that I love (Batman flossing, the chase through the dollhouse, Wyldstyle climbing the volume bars) and killer lines that crack me up every time (“my leg is a piano”, “don’t listen to the music if you want your noodle to stay al dente”).

5 Likes

I personally couldn’t get into that stuff, but I am glad you liked it.

But just because you can’t personally get into something doesn’t mean that the entire film was an overdone commercial.

2 Likes

I am not saying that… But like all the other LEGO Movies, it still has parts of it that feel like they were intended for commercial purposes.

Of course. LEGO is a toy company. They sell toys. They aren’t in the business of storytelling. What matters is that the modern LEGO movies are able to be so artistically well-executed and thematically instructive despite being “just a toy commercial”. LEGO storytelling has come a long way since the likes of Clutch Powers.

2 Likes

well I just want to thank @BenCossy for recommending this movie in one of his videos

I wouldn’t have watched it without him

1 Like

I don’t know…

I prefer Clutch Powers to The Lego Movie 2.

3 Likes

In what way? Why do you think you prefer it?

A storyboard for LEGO Movie 2 has recently surfaced, showcasing how a scene with Takanuva and Rex Dangervest could have potentially played out:

“Greetings, I am Takanuva, the sole survivor of a planet that was destroyed”.

Thanks @CalamitousT for sharing this video.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I probably should have shared this here! Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

shame this never came to fruition, I would’ve actually watched the movie.

1 Like

I’m starting to think lego really hates bionicle. First canceling G1 with the stars wave, then everything about G2, then this?

2 Likes

Keep in mind, this concept art stuff is from the 2015-2016 period, so I assume the main reason why they decided not to include Takanuva was probably because of Bionicle G2’s failure.

2 Likes

I didn’t really like the movie. I thought it was kind of confusing, the comedy fell flat a lot of the time, it was too chaotic, most of the songs were meh, and I got bored of constantly seeing the same colors.

2 Likes

Unikitty’s math joke was one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a long time

2 Likes

ninjago movie was better

1 Like

Batman flossing is a crime.

1 Like