The Mandalorian: Star Wars' First Live-Action TV Show

What tropes then?

Villains change their ways for love. Protagonist drops everything for love. Protagonist does anything to save love. Protaganist’s friends die to let protaganist to save love. Love interest seems week but can fight really well. Love interest is an enemy. Love interest beats up protaganist. And more.

I’m not sure that these are really that cliche, they’re just tropes used in stories, and certainly not every story uses these.

What even is a cliche in today’s over-media-saturated hyperactive entertainment culture?

2 Likes

I mean, The Mandalorian is before TFA, so it doesn’t matter who wins; the good guys will eventually.

Harumi was the best character in the show with an excellent twist, so I’d argue otherwise.

1 Like

But this isn’t really connected to the main plot.(probably) So the movies don’t count for anything.[quote=“ToaNoah_Wafflemeister, post:90, topic:46777”]
Harumi was the best character in the show with an excellent twist, so I’d argue otherwise.
[/quote]

The only reason I agree is because those characters suck. That twist was rather simple and fits in as a trope.

Reboots and remakes cashing in on nostalgia. I don’t really know either. I guess I’m just saying that we should try to explain where our opinions come from rather than just making blanket statements.

3 Likes

I like how you think.

Oooof, now there’s a hot take to have on these Boards.

Yeah. Those are just story beats/components. They’re like any ingredient. They can be used really poorly in a badly made recipe that leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. Or they can be used in just the right amounts in a phenomenal dish that leaves you wanting more. See where I’m going with this?

1 Like

Yeah I get it. I’m just sick of tasting eggs, sugar, flour, and milk in everything. I want something savoury.

1 Like

With all due respect, I’m not sure the meat of a story is found in violence.

7 Likes

I would love to continue this argument, but this is not the Ninjago topic.

Same here, though it isn’t as much of the predictability (which I hope is what you mean) of it that made it so good.

I wonder if we’ll find any sort of twists int this series. Perhaps we’ll get a “Bounty” or “Solo” twist and learn that true antagonist was the one behind the hire in the first place? I guess the latter example wasn’t really a surprise…

1 Like

At least it ain’t love.

@ToaNoah_Wafflemeister I wonder if the story will have a main plot or if it’ll be more like clone wars.

Edited for double post- Prentice1215

What did love ever do to you? Who hurt you?

=P

2 Likes

Love is just boring. I like action.

Anywho, If you want to understand the supposed tone of the mandalorian, I’d recommend that you go watch any cowboy movie that has Clint Eastwood in it.

1 Like

When action is just there for its own sake, there is often little substance, and it can feel hollow. It needs some emotional force behind it, otherwise what’s the point? Why are the characters doing what they’re doing? Love is one of many viable emotional drives in a story.

5 Likes

No more eggs!

Look, I adore good action, but if love is eggs, action is sugar as far as storytelling goes.

5 Likes

I guess. I don’t want to watch something I’m so excited for get ruined.

I’d recommend watching The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of you want to get a feel for what the mandalorian is going to be like.