The problem with Takanuva

Back in 2001, the very first character we met was a quirky Matoran named Takua. He was great. he was adventurous, smart, and a bit goofy. He wasn’t the strongest being, and he wasn’t the wisest. What he was was a Matoran. In fact, he was the most heroic matoran on the island. But then in 2003, they changed that. They turned him into a Toa. Now, while most people were like “oh, that’s so cool!” (including myself, as at the time, I was a kid), this was not ok. It showed that to really be a hero, you have to be a Toa. You can’t be a Matoran. This is really a problem I have with the whole "Way of the Bionicle, but I’ll get to why I have a problem wiht Takanuva specifically later. But back on track, after transforming, Takua changed his name, voice, mask, and behavior. What exactly does this show kids? that you have to change everything about yourself to be a hero. After this, Takanuva goes and defeats Makuta. Now this is what I have a major problem with. For three years at this point, we’d been watching the Toa get steadily stronger, getting ready to fight Makuta and save the island. But their moment never came. it was stolen.

stolen by Takanuva.

the whole final act of MoL is so stupid because of this. instead of the Toa Nuva going down and vanquishing Makuta, they send a rookie Toa to go fight him, while they just sit back and wait. it just makes me angry evry time I see the movie. And to make it even more frustrating, Takanuva never does anything in the main story again.

anyway, that’s my rant. thoughts?

13 Likes

Okay, so from how I see this, I…don’t agree with your views. It seems to me you have a different perception as to why and what Takua’s transformation means.

Anyway, the way I see it, his transformation is best…uhh…I guess, explained away along a similar vein as the statement: “This Toa will not simply appear like you and the others did. The Seventh Toa must be found”

It wasn’t about “You have to have power to be a hero!” it’s about “If you do great, heroic and wonderful things, then you shall gain the power to do even more!”

Well, thing is: I imagine Bionicle of old, like Bionicle of new, was planned for three years. However, by the time the arc had come around, they couldn’t well just have the final confrontation with however many years still left!

But I mean, I guess I can see where you’re coming from on this one.

Yeah. It’s called growing up.

It’s showing that like, well…yeah, you do have to change. You have to mature. That’s what Takanuva did. I know becoming a Toa isn’t like human aging, but in his case, that was part of the metaphor.

It’s kinda like how Hot Rod changed his name to Rodimus Prime when he became Boss-Bot.

That’s a fault of the film, not the character. The hatred in this instance is unjustified, IMO.

Well, he did help out in the Battle for Power, and he was gonna have this big Destiny reveal, but the line was cut short.

20 Likes

he’s kind of is the reason the toa nuva are still alive and didn’t die in the energy storm because of his warning, @Nyran actually made all the other points I was going to make

6 Likes

just gona say now, so no one gets angry about this (so far responses have been fine, but I think it needs to be said), that I don’t expect anyone to share my views. I realize that Takanuva is a very popular character, and I’m not trying to convince anyone not to like him. this is just me offering my perspective.

3 Likes

this is why I like this community, though we can disagree on stuff and argue, we can be civil about it and respect each others opinions

5 Likes

I don’t particularly favor Takanuva as a character, but I agree with @Nyran about this.

7 Likes

Personally I feel that Takanuva actually is supposed to show that any one can be a hero even a matoran and after doing so much good he became stronger and was rewarded for his good deed.

3 Likes

Right, that’s basically it.

1 Like

I never really had an issue with Takanuva. I can see where @Matoro is coming from, but… Nyran’s points all make sense as well.

1 Like

I guess I’ll be the one guy that agrees with Matoro here.
Takua was a much more enjoyable character than Takanuva, for reasons stated above. If anything, I think Jaller and Takua’s roles should have been swapped: were instead, Jaller turns into that responsible Toa of Light, and Takua dies and get’s resurrected. 'Course, that wouldn’t make for a good movie.

5 Likes

This also means that Kapura could be the leader of the Toa Inika… yiss…

6 Likes

I kinda disagree here. Just because it’s a fault of the movie doesn’t justify it. In my opinion, a fault is a fault.

I agree here, If I might make an analogy here, you have all the Toa Nuva and Inika as responsible adults. Takua can stay a kid.

Am I the only one here not a fan of Kapura?
Anyway, I think they’d’ve made Takua the Inika leader, sadly.

2 Likes

Look, it’s like Marvel or DC Comics.

A lot of times, there’s gonna be a writer who just doesn’t write the character or the story as well as another.

Like, I like Spider Man, he’s cool. But one very prominent story of his, titled One More Day sucks. I hate it. I hate everything about it. however, one bad story doesn’t mean I should hate Spider Man. I should be hating on the hacks who wrote it.

10 Likes

I think a lot of the point of Takua’s character was that he was supposed to grow up. You have all these super mature characters and then this adventurous, irresponsible little guy who goes around and causes chaos (Admittedly, ultimately necessary chaos) he needed to grow up to fill the role of Toa, not because you need to be a Toa to be a hero, but because being a Toa is a position of great responsibility and respect in this culture.

Also, let’s not forget that Takanuva still is less mature than say Jaller all the way up to the shadow leeches. Then he becomes… well Batman?

6 Likes

Not quite, jaller was a matoran in the Mask of Light. I would consider his sacrifice pretty heroic. Also what about:

The voya nui resistance team

The Av matoran, Solek in particular.

And (he might not be a matoran but the same concept applies) Berix.

9 Likes

Oh trust me, he’s not one of my favs, I just don’t think we need to cry Mary Sue and burn him at the stake.

9 Likes

… no it didn’t, I showed that his destiny was to stop makuta(from terrorizing the matoran) and that if you do heroic things you will be rewarded with honor and respect,

you seem to hate takanuva because he isn’t peter pan, he grew up, became mature, and gained the power to truely help the other toa.

heck, he was the one who saved the entire toa mata’s lives(in karda nui), and honestly, I doubt that even as toa nuva the toa could have stood up to makuta, if the toa of light had trouble fighting him.

that said, I always prefered jaller, because he was already someone who understood the gravity of the situation, and I’m glad that he became the leader of a team,

but I don’t in any way think that takanuva was a bad character, he went through a character arc, and at the end he was better for it, like all of us will be as we age.

I know a few of these points were already brought up, but I wanted to give my opinion on them.

6 Likes

just gonna point out that Peter Pan killed the Lost Boys who grew too old in the original story :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

and the award for missing the point goes to…

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I know. I just didn’t have a good response

3 Likes