The Transformers

Looks that way. Polygon pictures, apparently

Well, I could be wrong. And also I meant not only the movement but the overall look of the show.

Saw it last night. It was really fun, I was a bit worried about the facial animations (big-lipped Megatron) and the story being a literal retread of G1’s fist episode…then watching it made me actually want to see more of it with the various references to other continuities and series along with a fun, suspenseful and interesting show.

I recommend giving it a fair try and binging all 6 episodes in one sitting.

1 Like

I thought the animation was fine… not bad, nothing to write home about. My biggest frustrations came from bad character representation. I thought starscream was the most like his g1 self, some of the voices were not even close to what they used to be, namely ratchet and mirage. Ultra magnus was an absolute slap in the face to his g1 self, he was the perfect soldier, the perfect follower. The whole point of ultra magnus receiving the matrix in the 86 film was to show that he was a follower, not a leader, seeing as the matrix rejected him.

If you watch it without any context from g1, its fine… not that great… its fine

Also, Mirage uses the Shadow Clone Jutsu. How many times have people wanted to see that? I imagine a lot of weebs and ninja fans…

That part actually annoyed me a bit. Holograms are Hound’s thing. Not Mirage’s.

2 Likes

and forcefields belong to trail breaker

I think Mirage’s name is why they did that…can you imagine the new fans asking why the generic looking soldier guy has hologram powers when there is a guy literally called ‘mirage’ making the power make sense with the name of a character?

I guess that makes sense.

Other issues I had.

Ironhide did nothing and had a really unfitting voice, for his all of two lines. That really annoyed me.

And same goes for Skywarp.

1 Like

thats fair.

I am also bothered by the fact that the spotlight is again on bumblebee, I get it, he is their cash cow, but I am sick of bumblebee and have been ever since transformers prime. He took the spot of hotshot! And I really don’t care about a character arch for bumblebee being a miner and becoming an autobot. I wish it was about hound because the 3 part pilot episode from g1 “more than meets the eye” focuses on the relationship between spike and hound, he doesn’t get enough attention.

P.S. Who is hotlink anyway?

1 Like

Hotlink is, (drumroll) another Seeker and he looks like Skywarp.

I do agree, Hound is getting ignored when he was a good character in the first few episodes of G1…and now he’s demoed to being generic soldier boy…I’m genuinely sad. :cry:

Well this isn’t new, Hound and Mirage always stitches powers since the beginning of the brand.

1 Like

Huh, I didn’t know that…it does make sense.

Do they? I didn’t know. Interesting.

I wish Hound and Ironhide got more screentime. Six episodes is too short for all the characters they have.

1 Like

I think this show had one of the biggest and best casts of Transformers since Animated (save for maybe Cyberverse), but very few of the characters actually get a good amount of screentime. A few characters, such as Impactor were done really well, but those characters are the exception, not the rule. Other characters like Bumblebee also get stories, but everything happens so quickly that any character change feels unnatural.

Yup, and the star power is pretty good too.

What do you mean? They skipped out on Peter Cullen so they wouldn’t have to pay union prices

2 Likes

I mean that there are some names on there that have been getting a fair bit of light of late (Edward Bosco of Hazbin Hotel (voice of Alistar(?)) and The Unexpectables (Remus/Remmy)) to name one.

The new show was garbage.

These have to be the least likable version of the Autobots I have ever seen. They are good for nothing, constantly question what should be good morals, but are fine with the idea of placing a bomb in skyfire’s head?? Idiotic.

This was the worst version of Optimus Prime I have ever seen. He has no charisma, his leadership is questioned too frequently. (What is the point of the Matrix if it gives you no knowledge of previous hosts? The alpha trion protocols made it redundant and then they were destroyed.) This Optimus is not heroic. He is virtually wrong about every decision and humiliated in every fight. This doesn’t make him a “tragic” or “complex” hero either; it makes him incompetent.

I freaking HATE Elita-One. She whines and complains and questions EVERYTHING. If she is supposed to be Optimus Prime’s girlfriend, she sure is a terrible one. The amount of discouragement she gives him is nearly abusive.

My gosh what did they do to good ol’ Bumblebee? He’s edgy now. I hate it. Bumblebee is supposed to be nice and friendly, the one the humans get to know the best. And they completely wasted the Alpha Trion protocols by destroying them. Lots of other Autobots sucked too.

The writing in general was terrible, slow paced, and just boring. Transformers is an action show, so just walking around talking… It’s like the Star Wars prequels, but in the prequels at least the talking is beneficial to the plot. In here? No it’s just constant whining and questioning, slowing down ANY opportunity to act.

And apparently, freedom is NOT the right of any sentient being. Especially since Skyfire apparently has to have a bomb implanted in him just to be trusted. That is practically slavery.

Animation was terrible too. Just walking. And walking. And walking. And walking. The action was not dynamic, it was so stale and blocky. Just shooting behind boxes or tackling. The voice acting was straight up bad too.

Gosh I was so bored of this show, which is a grievous sin when it comes to entertainment. This has got to be one of the worst renditions of Transformers I have ever watched. Which is a HUMONGOUS shame, since the toyline the show was based off of has been consistently great.

Without context of G1, I actually think it would be worse. Characters come out of nowhere, some of the stuff expects you to know G1 to like characters like Optimus. Imagine not having G1 Optimus in your head when watching this? I’d personally dislike him as a character.

6 Likes