Toa Helryx Mask

Go easy on me, this is my first attempt at 3d modeling using blender, so it’s a bit rough. Shapeways link here. And, of course, you can use this in the moc contest.

When I was designing this, I was trying to go for a fusion of the kaukau and vahi, figuring that her mask had a time related power, and seeing as she was a toa of water. I think I struck that pretty well. I was designing this imagining it in trans blue, but shapeways doesn’t offer that, so I guess solid blue is the best we can do. The mask is designed for glatorian heads, because that was just what fit the shape best, to do other heads I’d have to re-scale the whole design, plus, there’s not a whole lot of custom masks for glatorian heads anyway, so it’s only fair. Let the Pics commence!

The Inspiration:

The model:

The Process:

AHEM… Uhh, those fins weren’t supposed to break off, but because i was doing low detail test prints, they snapped off super easy, that isn’t indicative of the final product

Questions Comments Concerns all welcome, Thanks for checking this out! When my shapeways order comes in (you have to buy your print to sell it on shapeways) I’ll do my own helryx moc for the contest

15 Likes

Will there be an alternate version for metru heads?

1 Like

Likely not, I would have to redo a lot of the design regarding the lower half of the mask to do so, but if enough people ask for it, I’ll consider it.

2 Likes

Okay, just curious.

1 Like

I really like it, maybe add a fairing between the side bits and the vertical section, it might make it stronger and more connected.

1 Like

You couldn’t see it in any of the original pics, but it’s already there

4 Likes

Give it some eye holes man

1 Like

Like I said, this was originally meant to be clear, so the entire top part was supposed to be a visor

1 Like

The looks super cool! Can’t wait to see how it looks on a figure!

2 Likes

Like I said, this was originally meant to be clear, so the entire top part was supposed to be a visor

2 Likes

Oh, whoops, would have helped to look exactly above my comment

1 Like

shapeways mask finally arrived, honestly astounded by the part quality, but that says more about shapeways than my mask. I’ll have to get to work on my helryx moc now… not that I have a whole lot of blue to work with

4 Likes

If anyone still cares about this old topic, I just got a resin 3d printer, and the first attempt at this mask has been a resounding failure, but pics all the same:

distinct, noticeable warping, very obvious clouding, and honestly, just a bad print overall, but it did make it off the printer in one piece, so I have to be happy about that

also came out quite discolored, here’s it compared to the test print that came with the machine

4 Likes

Could always try increasing the thickness in the solidify modifier.

Also, you might want to consider adding more structure along the T shape, helps to add more structure (duh) and detail.

You might want to extrude the triangle further, helps to make it more deliberate of a design choice. Also consider breaking up the shape of the cheeks, say by tapering it, adding holes like the vahi, adding panel lines like every scifi design, or any other greebling technique.

1 Like

not gonna lie to ya chief, I don’t even know if I have the files for this anymore, pretty sure the only thing still around is the thingiverse upload

2 Likes

Guess it’s time for your to make a version 2.0.

It’s a fairly simple geometric form, so start there, then complexify. Focus on form (which you already have), then details, and finally topology when you’re happy with all the details.

1 Like

You should be able to retrieve your model from there and convert it into a file Blender can open.