Toa Nuparu Revamp (Metru Style!)

I really like this for so many reasons. The colorscheme works. The simplistic look of the Pakari, Bohrok eyes, and system bits blend well together while there is still a good amount of detail with the back blades and black sections. Even those tiny slopes on his legs and feet make me love him more! Great work!

1 Like

I love me a Metru Build

Another explanation for the shorter stature could be that he was shrunken by the Matoran sphere.

Anyway, great MOC.

1 Like

How about if the rest of the matoran had done it with toa stones?

Thank you so much guys! I’m really surprised at how much people like this MOCs, but I’m incredibly grateful!

As I mentioned before, I planned to do all the Inika/Mahri in this style. Heck, I might even do some more of the original Matoran if I’ve got the parts. I adore doing these Metru revamps, they’re great fun!

4 Likes

I like the MOC, but the arms seem a little stubby to me. Am I the only one seeing this?

1 Like

Nice call-back to the Metru build.

1 Like

This looks so cool! Almost everything seems perfect to me, except 2 things:
The first one is the weapon. I don’t know, this launcher seems a little bit “lazy” to me - you know, when he is an “engineer”, I could imagine him with some kind of a little bit more complex weapon which would look useful in crafting (I think the Avak’s one is good example, even tho it was just 1 piece, I believe you would be able to create something cool when you are capable of building such a good MOC).
The second one, but I think that’s a little bit of a personal opinion, is the lego parts which are used alot, I mean the pieces on his forearm, shin and foot and - especially - the transparent yellow one in the middle of his chest. I just don’t like them, and not only in this MOC, but in any MOCs. They can look cool, but I just feel those parts (Bionicle/Lego pieces) should not be mixed. As I said that’s just pretty much my opinion.
I would give it 10/10 but, unfortunately, the weapon is missing. So I give it 9/10. It looks great anyway :smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Not at all. The skinny forearms are one of the Metru-build’s many inherent flaws (I’ve MOCed Metru builds close to a dozen times now and I almost hate the the darn thing).

I’ve tried using parts like orange jumper plates on the forearms, but those just looked ugly. Any suggestions?

Thanks mate!

Thanks so very much for your well-thought out critique. It’s worth it’s weight in widgets. :wink:

I completely agree. I tried to make the launcher seem like Nuparu fashioned it himself with the laser sight and all the silver.

Aww, thanks! Honestly, weapons are not my strong suite. I struggle creativeley with making something that looks well-proportioned, flows well and makes sense. I originally tried to make a tool-belt for this guy but got stuck. Have you got any ideas?

I understand where you’re coming from. System can be pretty poorly executed in any MOC (however, TECHNIC and even “BIONICLE” parts when used incorectly can completely ruin a MOC too). It’s certainly a valid viewpoint. It’s one I shared in the past. But any ideas about "not mixing the systems were completely blown out of the water by MOCs like this:

Credit: Patrick Biggs

Besides, LEGO certainly haven’t shied away from mixing System with CCBS and “BIONICLE” before:

My point is, LEGO is one giant interlocking system. Sure, it may have subsystems that fill different roles but pieces are intricatly designed to fit together in surprising ways. If the BIONICLE fan community could get past its very cloistered “BIONICLE is one system, System is another, CCBS is another, ZOMG NEVER MIX THEM THAT’S HERESY!” attitude and embrace the boundless creative energy LEGO is truly about, we could start having so many more amazing MOCs.

That being said, I respect your opinion @Juny1spion and thank you so much for taking the time to critique my work. However, I do urge you to try something different. Step out of your comfort zone and start thinking outside of the box. You (and many others) will be impressed by the results.

4 Likes

@legomaster1378 congrats on another great MOC! i really like this look, i would almost say he looks like a neat toa mata, but maybe thats just cuz of the mask. like it a lot, my only complaint is the weapon, seeing as hes an inventor, i feel a simple zamor launcher isnt enough. nothing really comes to mind at the moment, but maybe a tool from his toolchest that transformed into a toa tool when he was transformed. i could totally see him with an arm-mounted gun on his left hand and a one handed weapon in the other. He’s probably one of my favorite MOCs ive seen in a while, great job! i love the colour scheme!

1 Like

Thanks a ton man! What kinda gun? 'Cuz most of LEGO’s blasters are way too big to mount on a figure this size.

Hmmm, neat idea. But I’m trying to make weapons invocative of his Mahri/Inika forms.

Looks very good! My complaint is that is lower arms are thin and lack good armor.

1 Like

Nicely appropriate profile GIF. :wink:

As I mentioned previously, I don’t have any easy way to fix the arms. Got any ideas?

I would try using small CCBS joints and the small orange armor piece.

1 Like

What small small CCBS bone piece? No triple-ball bone pieces exist. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Try using the small piece that is just the ball and socket. You might not be able to put any armor on, but at least it would look stronger.

Nice. Very compact and fills in most gaps from the original Metru-build. I am disappointed still that he has no ball-joints in the shoulders :stuck_out_tongue:

Same problem. I can’t attach any ball-socket piece to both a Metru upper arm/leg and a hand piece.

Thanks! Honestly, I feel ball-joint shoulders for Metru-builds are overrated. It doesn’t help their articulation a whole lot and it wouldn’t work with Nuparu’s slimmer build anyway. Plus, I must preserve my balljoints for MOCs that really need them! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No but you can make one :stuck_out_tongue:

How?

oh wait, this is LEGO we’re talking about here

I’ll think about incorporating them in a future Metru-build. Though probably not a member of either of my current Toa teams in order to maintain consistency.