Toa Utu Part1 (My first post)

Hi all. First time posting my work online. Hoping to get some helpful feedback on the builds for these characters

The Toa Utu are a team of Toa devoted to hunting down and destroying Anti-Toa on the reformed Spherus Magna. Their story takes place centuries after the death of Mata Nui.

First up, Fenton, Toa of Duty:

Fenton is a Toa of Iron, and formerly served as a Toa “Hagah” for a powerful Turaga. He uncovered a plot by the leader of the team and their Turaga to kill him and the rest of his teammates in order to replace them with more compliant warriors. Then they planned to subjugate their city and begin expanding a feudalistic empire. Fenton, out of a sense of duty for his people, killed the rogues, but not before the rest of his team was slaughtered. He became a city hopping vigilante until he met Jethro and the Toa Utu, who recruited Fenton when he killed one of their targets for them.
Fenton is a witty, straightforward individual, relying on his natural athleticism and tactical skill to fight his battles. He finds humor in war, and is often the most lighthearted of the team in combat, which is unexpected considering his tragic past. Armed with a pulse rifle equipped with a high capacity elemental energy magazine, Fenton can never run out of ammunition as long as he has access to Iron. His Fentoyr(Mask of Intimidation) allows him a psychological advantage in the field, and provides him with endless new material for darkly comedic tales to lift his teammates’ spirits.
Front shot(weapon on back)

Side shot(not happy with the gap at his waist, but don’t know how to fill it without severely limiting mobility)

Back shot(No weapon)

Weapon shot

“Ready” Shot

Planned improvement shot(don’t really like these feet, but others I have don’t really work either;lanning on getting some black Mata feet and another pair of those Pohatu foot extensions)

Next up, Othniel, Toa of Hope:

Othniel is a Toa of Stone, formerly a member of an order of Matoran monks who rejected elemental training in favor of physical development due to their unlikely odds of ever becoming a Toa. Ironically, Jethro Utu ran into Othniel in the field when Othniel saved Jethro's daughter from a pirate Anti-Toa. Jethro brought him a Toa Stone a few weeks later, and Othniel eventually married Jethro's daughter. 
 Othniel is a quiet, reserved individual with a near perfect memory and a discerning outlook. He often serves as a peacekeeper for the team, and is the often only one with enough conviction to challenge Jethro's more brutal methods. Othniel is equipped with a prosthetic arm which channels his elemental energy into forceful strikes and aids his underdeveloped control over elemental energy. He is, however the most physically capable member of the team, rivaled only by Fenton. Othniel wears a modified Rau, a Rauskiin, or Mask of Kinesics. Rather than interpreting written or spoken language, the Ruaskiin allows the wearer to read and interpret the nonverbal communication of beings within the wearer's field of vision. Othniel takes advantage of this with his incredible martial arts prowess, but also in determining true motives and attitudes in his targets and teammates.

Front shot(I am happiest with Othniel’s construction, though he is unfinished. I lack some parts necessary to complete his prosthetic arm.)

Side shot

Back shot

Weapon/Planned Improvement shot(I have a plan to put fingers on there, but lack the parts. Hopefully will be able to finish both Othniel and Fenton in one Bricklink order!)

Action shot!

Lastly, Jethro, Toa of Hatred:

Once having been a simple Toa of Fire, Jethro was the leader of a to a team who hated him. When they were Matoran, Jethro had mediated a dispute between his Matoran brothers and a Skakdi mercenary. He ruled in favor of the Skakdi, and his village never forgave him. When sent on a mission to investigate reports of a surviving Makuta, Jethro’s team trapped him in a hive of shadow leaches which had been experimented on with Visorak venom. He became mutated into a being with shifting levels of moral light, a Toa of Fire and Shadow, driven by vengeance against his traitorous teammates. Eventually, Jethro was rescued by Myra, a Toa of Psionics, who helped him to control his new bloodlust and channel it into something productive. Jethro and Myra eventually got married, and became founding members of the Toa Utu along with Gideon the Toa of Justice.
Jethro is an intensely driven individual. He is determined to extinguish the threat of Anti-Toa on Spherus Magna, but is always only a step away from becoming the very thing he hates. He is equipped with a Calix(Mask of Fate) which allows him to keep up with Othniel and Fenton, but also aids him in his ability to shadow step. He channels elemental energy into hard light projectors on his forearms, manifesting as energy blades which can cut most any substance.

Front shot(Jethro’s torso design served as the prototype for Othniel’s build, but I think they look distinct regardless)

Side shot

Back shot

Closer look at the mask. Shapeways is awesome!

Action shot(Jethro is the only Toa Utu that I consider to be complete. I still make minor adjustments occasionally, but no longer consider them necessary.)

Any ideas about how to fix the aforementioned problems would be great. I hopefully be motivated to finish more of the team now! Thanks all!

30 Likes

OK, now I do like these guys designs and all but the Kylo Ren mask on a Toa is bugging me!

Otherwise, nice mate!

2 Likes

haha yeah but it’s different! I get tired of the same old masks on my builds.

1 Like

Ja I do agree, it is new! Think it’s just my inner Bionicle fan raging at the use of a starwars mask instead of the usual head and mask… still do enjoy the team but that guys always to going to carry a sense of ‘no’ for me when I see him.

Doesn’t mean I won’t or don’t enjoy him, just means ima be a bit twitchy at seeing him.

1 Like

I like the Star Wars Head on a Toa! Not often used

i remember looking at mocs and someone used a general grievous mask as a jaw

These look pretty solid! I think Othniel is the weakest build-wise; the silver on the inside of his legs is a bit strange, and all of their chests seem stuck outwards a bit awkwardly. The combination of CCBS and the old bionicle system works well with some pieces, but others look a bit odd (like Fenton’s lower arms in a mostly CCBS build). All-in-all, however, it looks like you are on your way to becoming a pretty solid MOCist. Keep it up!

1 Like

Talk to me more about Othniel. What makes him the weakest, and can you see ways to improve?

which mask did you buy from shape ways

These look cool. Welcome to the Message Boards!

1 Like
1 Like

Othniel’s greatest issue is definitely his chest; from the side it sticks out incredibly far and looks quite odd (in pictures, anyways). The chest armor is also situated somewhat low compared to his head, and as such it looks like he has a tremendously long neck. His stance and leg proportions are also a bit strange, with his lower legs being shorter than the upper ones. I’m guessing that the silver armor plates on the inside of his thighs prevent his legs from sitting more naturally; his waist is also quite thin and could perhaps use a little bit of beefing up. the right arm (our right, his left) is a little gappy near the top as well.

Overall I think he has a solid colorscheme and good foundation, but it needs to be refined.

1 Like

Excellent advice thank you! I will work on it!

2 Likes

All the masks and heads are pretty unique

Thank you sir!

2 Likes

I like the models, especially Fenton. Great use of the Kylo Ren head piece. I think that Jethro’s legs are a little too thin, and all of their hands could use some filling out. Other than that, I really like these MOCs. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I will work on Jethro’s legs some. What do you mean about the hands?

2 Likes

What I mean is that they are very simple, and the backs of the hands stick out. You could add some tubes or bricks to help round them out.

Got it! Thanks I will see what I can do!

Your mocs are unique and good. I’m looking forward to more of your mocs :smile: