Transformers Live-Action Movies

I am gonna see the new film, probably the day it opens.

I will not read about iot any further, and I will not watch a single trailer.

This film series means a lot to me, and I just want to enjoy them…

4 Likes

While they’re certainly not the best movies ever made, I do have a little bit of a soft spot for the Bayformers movies, as they were the ones that introduced me to the Transformers brand. This is gonna sound super cliche and sappy, but I’d honestly be a completely different person if I hadn’t seen the first movie all those years ago. Transformers is a big part of my life, even more than Bionicle.

I am super hyped for The Last Knight, more than any of the previous films. With all the new writers Hasbro is recruiting and the talk about building a movie universe, it finally sounds like the movies are going to be more story-oriented with most of the focus being on the Cybertronians, which is something we’ve all wanted to see since the beginning.

My only concern is that all of this new lore they’re writing seems to be based of the new stuff introduced in Age of Extinction, like the Knights. I hope they don’t forget about the first three films and what little of their EU that can still be considered canon. This is a golden opportunity for them to “clean up” and make the entire continuity flow more smoothly.

5 Likes

I think it’ll turn out better than the last movies, but I’m not excited for it at all. Frankly, I just don’t think live action fits with Transformers at all. The designs always look like scrap, and they’re just too dark to be Transformers. They have a two hour period to make an entire story play out, but they need to appeal to more than just the Transformers fans, also those who just want a thrilling adventure.

I understand nostalgia from the Bayformers, but I don’t think the movies really just fit with the brand. I they were to do anything, I’d honestly rather them animate the IDW comic series, as I feel that’s a great example of a dark story while still feeling like the brand it’s based on.

6 Likes

I would love an IDW movie. They’ve already got the storytelling and characterization pinned down, and it would help non-fans see Transformers as more than just some robot-men shooting each other.

4 Likes

That’s the only problem. The continuity is massive, so it’d take a lot of exposition to get it to flow for those who haven’t read the comics.

4 Likes

True. moviegoers wouldn’t be happy if they were told they had to read literally hundreds of pages of comic books to understand a two-hour movie. Maybe they could just start a new story, with some nods to the comics every now-and-then.

Not only that, but an IDW movie would have to happen some time after the Live-action films have run their course. It would get confusing and overbearing to have two movies of the same thing telling completely different stories and having nothing to do with each other other than that they share the Transformers title.

2 Likes

How about this, new continuity, use IDW character designs, and get new writers, like, good writers.
Then maybe they could go marvel quality.

6 Likes

That’s another problem I have. The IDW designs are basically the perfect realization of realistic Transformers, but I feel like someone in production will be an idiot and say “Cybertronians are aliens, therefore they must look like junkyard piles”

It sucks, but I can’t imagine someone in production being smart enough to actually take advantage of the designs people actually LIKE

5 Likes

that’d be great

I just want them to reboot the movies already, I wrote up my own ideas of how I’d want them to go, but just, someone higher up, please just make good movies

and while I do think the Bayformers are terrible, the first one honestly, I still think is alright at the very least and enjoyable to watch

even if the way Jazz died was stupid, TF’s survive wounds like that all time

3 Likes

I’d rather we just have something like Prime. Live action is great and all, but doesn’t really work great for Transformers. If we had to have some kind of trilogy of movie-length episodes, I’d personally rather it be based on CGI animation.

2 Likes

I feel like live action can work, its just been handled by people who dont respect the material.

2 Likes

The problem is, you can change the style of the Cybertronians, but not the humans. Even IDW designs may look sorta odd next to actual actors, and the great thing with CGI and comics is that you can change the style of the world to match the character style.

2 Likes

One thing that can’t be argued is that Steve Jablonsky’s scoring for the movies is amazing.

4 Likes

BRUH.

I love the soundtrack.

As for the movies, I actually enjoy most character designs, While they are not “Transformers” They are what introduced me to the brand, so they are kinda MY Transformers, if that makes any sense.

2 Likes

Same here! I realize that they aren’t best movies ever and that other continuities do treat the Cybertronians better as characters and such, but I suppose I’m just being nostalgic. That or I have a terrible taste in movies.

I can certainly see why people don’t like them, and it’s perfectly fine that they do, but it gets on my nerves when other members of the TF fandom bully the Bayformers fans (saying that they’re not “true fans” and such).

2 Likes

TFW you grew up with Beast Wars and the 1986 movie re-release.

4 Likes

I did not get into Transformers until 2012…

So yeah…

I have seen Beast Wars and the G1 movie…they are good, but I still like Prime and aligned in general more.

3 Likes

Transformers Prime is awesome. I like to think it’s what the movies could be with some better writers.

The sequel, Robots in Disguise, is trash though. I tried watching the first few episodes, but the ridiculously lighthearted tone and childishness was unbearable.

3 Likes

Personally, as someone who loved Prime, I loved RID as well. It wasn’t the epitome of great story telling, but the characters so far have been fun and relatively unique. I’m enjoying it so far for what it is.

2 Likes

Alright. I was just expecting the show to have the same tone as Prime did, so I was a little disappointed. I’m glad you’re enjoying it, and I hear the recent episodes have actually been pretty good. I might try watching it again.

1 Like