Why is Solek a hated set?

Thank You.

Well, of course they arenā€™t meant for toddlers but any kid 5 and up gets lego sets. In fact you would be surprised on how many toddlers in our church carry around Legos.
[/quote]

You just contradicted yourself in the same post.

You say that kids in the age range of 8-14 would have trouble building a 14 piece set, but then proceed to say that many 5 year old kids you know build lego sets. Then you also say that toddlers have legos.

7 Likes

so, youā€™re saying that bionicle sets that are structured as duplo sets are good?

the demographic for this line is 8-14. i think that theyā€™d be beyond the simplistic crap of duplo.

i think youā€™re forgetting, this was sold in 2008, not the iphone-heavy era of 2015-2016,

itā€™s like youā€™re saying their insult of our intelligence in that era is justified.

2 Likes

The era this toy was released in was when action figures were still popular.

Of course, they still sell now, but not nearly as much as 8 years ago.

3 Likes

iā€™m referring to his comment on attention spans, not how well action figure sales.

Yes, but it is worth noting that due to a lesser usage of iPhones, action figures and physical toys were more popular. Nowadays, companies get away with $10 action figures with 5 points of articulation. This would not have been the case 8 years ago.

1 Like

Having Legos and building legos are different things. The toddlers mainly just clutch these misshapen lumps of brick and mini figures in their hands. I donā€™t actually see them with any sets. Also I said five year olds get lego sets, Iā€™m pretty sure their parents build them for them.

As someone whoā€™s owned Lego products since they were 2 years old, I can say that by 5 I was definitely able to build sets on my own ability.

1 Like

But arenā€™t we talking about Solek? You know the 14 piece set with premolded limbs that literally nearly everyone can build?

And Iā€™m pretty sure five year olds can do this. I started building Lego when I was 4 and built my first Titan when I was 5 by myself.

1 Like

Still, clutching misshapen clumps of legos means they understand the concept, and by 5 I bet that they can build most of the set alone. I doubt the parents help much, if at all. Solek is also far less complex than any system set.

Solek is also far less complex than any system set.

Seven pieces man! You can do it!

5 Likes

What is that?..

Ok, obviously Iā€™m wrong about ā€œany system set,ā€ but a very large percentage of them are far more complex. My point still stands.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a jack stone from 2001. No I can name several sets from late 90s Town that are every bit as simple that I grew up with. But I think we can both agree that by 2008 system playsets were on average more complex.

6 Likes

Even Tahu hates him. Heā€™s slowly raising his Nynrah Ghost Blaster ready to blast him after the photoshoot

18 Likes

I donā€™t think i addressed this point, but

sales taxes.

they exist.

that, and if you lump everything together into 1 big order, the shipping can ebcome comparable to the sales tax of your area.

1 Like

It is a TIE FIghterā€¦

4 Likes

He had good points (his mask is kinda cool looking.) and itā€™s all about opinions but hereā€™s a general list

No one really liked the matoran build for that year onwards. Too simple.
Boring colors of white and grey.
Not an interesting peice count unlike some others.
Also 2007+ made peices cheaper and they broke easier then before.

You may love it and thatā€™s fine but thatā€™s most of the reasons others hated it.

4 Likes

I always thought the mask was fine on its own until I learned it was the noble Akaku

So one reason to hate Solek was for ruining the greatest mask of all time

Another reason is because in g2, there was no Solek

see LEGO is actually capable of learning something here

/sarcasm, plz dont kill meee

3 Likes

This topic is about my boy Solek, so I have to say something.

There are several reasons why Solek is hated as a set.

1. Mesonak and his disliking of the Av-Matoran build and Solekā€™s color scheme
  2. Some people forget that there are objectively worse G1 sets (not blaming anyone, Iā€™m just saying)
  3. The Av-Matoran build is a sub-par build compared to previous Matoran builds (barring mctoran as they were special sets)
  4. Solek is a TTV meme
  5. The Solekian joke controversy (I guess itā€™s a controversyā€¦)

Personally Solek is one my favorite sets (as I pointed out in my set review from a while back). But I recognize his flaws and accept that other people may not like him as a set. I may get a little irked when someone says something like Stars Skrall is better and I may have made a huge rant post on Tumblr debunking Solekā€™s status as the worst G1 set ever, but it doesnā€™t matter in the long run.

People like what they like and dislike what they dislike.

2 Likes

like?

like the rahaga I guess, they were trash