Your top 10 villains of all time

Never thought of as many as ten, but I’ll give it a go.
In no particular order:

1. Genndy Tartakovsky’s General Grievous. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, look him up, you’ll be glad you did.
  2. Deathstroke, Arrow season 2. An intelligent, twisted, tragic portrayal encapsulated by a commanding presence.
  3. Lex Luthor/Brainiac, Justice League Unlimited season 1. Mostly for a very well written build up to an incredible reveal and payoff in the finale.
  4. Didact, Halo. What could have been, such wasted potential.
  5. Blight, Batman Beyond.
  6. Ba’al, Stargate SG-1. Here we have a case study in how to make a villain that endures. His character endured for five seasons and a film, because he adapted to whatever situation the Galaxy was in.
  7. Aku, Samurai Jack. Never has there been a villain so loved, and so hated, whose death was outwardly cheered, inwardly wept over.
  8. Andrew Ryan, Bioshock. It’s hard to call him a tragic villain, more a misguided one. If you’ve read the novel Bioshock: Rapture, you see how he was shaped into the monster he became.
  9. Harbinger, Mass Effect 2. Yes, I mean ONLY in Mass Effect 2. And that multiplayer trailer for the Collectors. Hard to call him a villain in ME3, when he was just a piece of set dressing.
  10. Makuta Teridax. Who else? I wonder, actually, what Greg intended for Alternate Teridax. Given things he says and does in his appearances, I wonder if he was being groomed to actually become a new villain: a warrior-philosopher villain for the Toa to battle, one where we see him slowly sliding down the slope to becoming evil.
2 Likes

Updated list, since I have read and watched more stuff.

1. Darth Vader (from Star Wars)
  2. Syndrome (from The Incredibles)
  3. El Indio (from A Few Dollars More)
  4. The Green Goblin (Norman Osborn, but I’d argue his son Harry Osborn was a better written villain in the comics.)
  5. Davy Jones (from Pirates of the Caribbean)
  6. Khan Noonien Singh (from The Wrath of Khan)
  7. The creature Gollum (from The Lord of the Rings)
  8. GLaDOS (from Portal)
  9. Rameses (The Prince of Egypt)
  10. Doctor Doom (from Marvel Comics)

Honorable mentions: Hector Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean), Randall (Monsters Inc.), Smaug (from The Hobbit), Saruman (from The Lord of the Rings), Angel Eyes (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), Wheatley (Portal 2), Messala (from 1959’s Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ), Doctor Octopus (Marvel Comics), Thanos (Marvel Comics), Starscream (The Transformers), Megatron (The Transformers), The Alien (Alien, Aliens). Lots of other stuff I’m probably forgetting too!

List is no longer how powerful or cool I thought they were. List is now in order of how compelling or enjoyable I found them in media.

4 Likes

In no particular order

1: Megatron (Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy)
2: Megatron (Beast Wars)
3: The Nowhere King (Centaur World)
4: Gordon Rimmer/Lux Dujour/Pollux (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency)
5: Human Eradication Forces Far East Theater Commander, Viral (Gurren Lagann)
6: Diavolo (JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure)
7: Garmadon (Ninjago)
8: The Dragon (Teen Titans Go Night Begins to Shine)
9: The Joker (Batman/Jack Nicholson)
10: Dr. Heinz Doofensmirtz

No effort and no order

Some spoilers hidden for those who care

1. Bionicle: Teridax- obvious reasons
  2. Bionicle: Pridak- the only person besides Teridax who ever came close to stealing Mata Nui’s throne.
  3. LOST: The Man in Black- a controversial character but one with a compelling drive and psyche IMO
  4. Over The Garden Wall: The Beast- playfully sucking away hope to the point of death is an excellent metaphor for depression
    5- Fringe: William Bell- It took multiple timelines to reveal what this guy was doing from episode one
    6- Adventure Time: The Ice King- A compelling character that only became more nuanced with time
    7- Netflix’s Daredevil: Wilson Fisk- the kind of portrayal that makes you think about what’s right and wrong, rather than just accepting what the TV tells you
    8- Gossamer: the Sinisteeds- a symbolic threat that most often strikes those who are already down
    9- Nightfall by Asimov & Silverberg: Ignorance- legitimate or otherwise, ignorance frequently deals a devastating blow. Sometimes repeatedly.
    10- Castaway: Circumstance- the ultimate villian, and the one we all face. Sometimes it’s small, sometimes it’s insurmountable, but it always reminds us we are not in charge here.
1 Like

In no particular order:

1: General Grievous (Star Wars). I mean, who doesn’t like the good general?

2: GLaDOS (Portal). Homicidal and sarcastic; truly the most scientifically perfect combination.

3: Wheatley (Portal 2). Corrupted by power, yet still maintained his… unique personality.

4: Dr. Doofensmirtz (Phineas and Ferb). In my opinion, Doofensmirtz is the single greatest cartoon villain even.

5: Grand Admiral Thrawn (Star Wars Legends). Need I say more?

6: Plankton (SpongeBob SquarePants). While Doofensmirtz is the greatest in my opinion, good ol’ Plankton is a close second, especially in the older episodes.

7: Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars). I am the Senate

8: Darth Vader (Star Wars). Am I adding too many Star Wars characters?

9: Deathstroke (DC Universe, no piece of media in specific). He’s just awesome.

10: Wile E. Coyote (Looney Toons). Ah, the king of cartoon violence.

Honorable mentions:

Prince Zuko (Avatar: The Last Airbender). Probably one of most well-written characters that I’ve ever seen, but I’m not completely convinced that he was ever truly a villain.

Mara Jade, the Emperor’s Hand (Star Wars Legends). Like Zuko, I’m not entirely sure if Mara was ever truly a villain, even with her serving as Palpatine’s assassin. Still, I really enjoy the character, so she deserves at least an honorable mention.

Hondo Ohnaka (Star Wars). Sometimes he’s a villain, sometimes he’s the hero. I guess it depends on his mood at the time… and whether or not he gets paid.

3 Likes
  1. Morgoth. The equivalent of Satan in Tolkien’s worlds, he is the only person who truly was capable of destroying Middle Earth alone.
  2. Sauron. Like Morgoth, he’s extremely powerful, so much so that it took an army to defeat him alone.
  3. Makuta Teridax. As a leader of villains, he is unparalleled, constantly manipulating and planning, with plots deeper than the Pit. He is even more powerful after seizing control of the Matoran Universe, becoming capable of destroying whole planets.
  4. Moff Gideon. As a military leader, he is very much a dangerous person, and would easily have gotten all of Mando’s friends killed if it wasn’t for Luke Skywalker’s intervention.
  5. Director Krennic. One of the few Imperial leaders in Star Wars who has a very good motivation in Rogue One, as he believes that he can keep control of the Death Star, despite it promptly being stolen by Grand Moff Tarkin by the end of the movie.
  6. Darth Vader. He’s a classic villain, and is crazily OP. Also, he’s just really enjoyable in everything he appears in, since he can beat up practically any character in the Star Wars movies.
  7. Ultron. Honestly, if it wasn’t for his trying to destroy humanity, Ultron would be more of an anti-hero, since he believes his actions to be those necessary for the protection of Earth, whether or not they will protect people.
  8. Megatron. The only reason he’s ranked so low here is because I’ve never really followed the storylines of Transformers, so I don’t know too much about him. He looks pretty cool, though.
  9. Venom. Venom is very OP, due to his shapeshifting abilities and being capable of possessing others. In my opinion, his appearance in Spider-Man 3 was the best movie version of him so far, though I’m intrigued by his brief appearance at the end of Spider-Man: No Way Home.
  10. The Evil Group from Rastan (or was it Nastar??) A generically named group of villains who you have to kill in these classic arcade games, they are very bizarre, and have very strange dialogue, due mostly to terrible translation to English.

Some honorable mentions:

Galbatorix, and most of the characters of the Inheritance Cycle. For some reason, most of these characters seem utterly unable to provide any real ending to the story, instead leaving it on a cliffhanger as the main character, a significantly OP guy who’s close to being an antihero, flees the known world to protect it from himself.

Kylo Ren. An absurdly useless villain, who accomplishes nothing except killing s bunch of people and blowing stuff up. His whole character really just feels like the “teenager with anger issues” trope, after giving the guy a lightsaber.

Palpatine. After Episode 9, he’s just way too powerful. He should have been kept dead.

Mutran: a psychopathic scientist who will willfully harm others, he’s honestly a very dangerous person in Bionicle. He’s also quite creepy.

The Mouth of Sauron. This guy is just creepy.

The Nazgûl: these are some of the best villains in the Lord of the Rings, as they are faceless, and can only die if pierced by certain ancient weapons or if the One Ring is destroyed.

Bo Katan Kryze: I just find her very annoying. We have too many people who think that the galaxy (or a certain planet) would be better off under the rule of militaristic extremists like her Death Watch and Nite Owls allies.

Boba Fett: mostly because he’s never really a villain, though he’s a bounty hunter.

The other bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back: all of these guys should have had more screen time. They have some wicked cool ships, and require me to share a small joke here:
In the scene where Han Solo docks the Falcon to the Star Destroyer’s command section, an Imperial officer makes the comment, “No ship that size could have a cloaking device.” However, one of the bounty hunter ships, the Mist Hunter, has one, and it’s parked in the landing bay downstairs. It’s a scene that is rather funny, given that this info was only made after the fact. I don’t think it was intentional at the time, given that the Mist Hunter wasn’t even shown in the movie.

1 Like

1: Megatron
2: Mysterio (Spiderman Far From Home)
He’s everything I expected him to be, but he does it phenomenally. From tying back into previous installments in the mcu, the way his demeanor and personality can turn on a dime, to even exposing Spiderman’s identity to the world, Mysterio not only has made his mark, but also reflects intentional misinformation and doubt in the real world.
3: The Nowhere King (Centaur World)
Spooky guy who’s the antithesis of the shows’ theme. Great motivation, and great backstory.
4: Gordon Rimmer/Lux Dujour/Pollux (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency)
What a strange character, starting off as a sort of background character, who emerges to the forefront with his insane backstory and great character writing. He is an excellent mix of confusion, hazbeen rockstar, and malicious cult leader.
5: Human Eradication Forces Far East Theater Commander, Viral (Gurren Lagann)
One of Pixar’s rules of storytelling says that audiences appreciate trying more than succeeding, and no one tried harder than Viral. Viral is a constant foil to our heros, showing up again and again with more elaborate mechs just to lose. This makes his redemption feel all that much better.
6: Diavolo (JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure English dub)
I don’t understand where he came from, what his power is, or why he hates his past so much, but the voice acting makes him work for me. He’s just a angry, angry guy who calls people “Philistine Mound of Excrement.” He’s also the leader of the mafia? Wild.
7: Garmadon (Ninjago)
In its twelve years, Ninjago has had many, many villains, but the one I’ve always liked the best is Garmadon. Weather he’s leading Skeletons, snakes, statues, or bikers, he combines the lego sense of goofy fun with memace and ambition. Highlights for me are him brushing his teeth with knives, the fact that the pilot episodes were just a scheme to give himself four arms to hold the weapons of spinjitzu, him beating up Lloyd in sons of Garmadon, as well was season 1-2 Garmadon unironically being a good dad.
8: Yoshikage Kira (JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable.) Yoshikage Kira is such a fun character to me. He’s very different from the villains who came before him in the show, simply wanting to live a quiet, mundane life. Unfortunately, this mundane quite life involves him killing people for their hands, which brings him into conflict with our protagonists. I love his speech to shigechi before he blows him up, and he was pretty good in Dead Man’s Questions. His stand deadly queen is a nice parallel to Crazy Diamond, having the power to destroy things completely.
9: The Reverse Flash (The Flash)
“It was me Barry!”
10: Death (Puss in Boots: The last Wish) Puss in Boots 2 is a masterclass in writing a villains. From the very first fight scene we see with him, we realize just how much of a threat Death is, outmatching Puss at every turn. Puss’s fear of him is what drives the story forward, and makes it so impactful.

2 Likes

absolutely none of these are ghid

this is so sad :pensive:

4 Likes

try harder ghid

4 Likes

fetchimage

4 Likes
  1. Long John Silver (Treasure Island) - Arguably one of the most famous villains of all time. He’s got a genteel side and the most heartless side you’ve ever seen and is always polite to Jim (I respect that Silver doesn’t harm children).

2. Makuta Teridax (Bionicle) - You know we love a bit of Bionicle in this house. Who better to rep the series than our favorite power-hungry almost-god?

3. Curly Bill (Tombstone) - Don’t know if any of y’all have seen that movie, but it’s one of the coolest westerns you’ll ever see (it’s very much not for kids though). Curly Bill is just the right amount of smooth and ruthless.

4. The Party (1984) - Yet again a “villain” from a media not for children. The Party (I don’t think that’s technically its name) is the perfect way for Orwell to describe how the government can become the villain.

5. Mal’akh (The Lost Symbol) - While the book’s views aren’t necessarily what I believe in, the villain is up there for the most evil man ever described. He’s dead-set on becoming immortal (and for those of you who haven’t read the book, it’s entirely realistic fiction. No superheroes and magic here!). There is quite literally nothing good about him except for his determination.

6. Ledroptha Curtain (The Mysterious Benedict Society) - The evil genius with a twist and a surprise character development at the end of the third book.

7. “Pointy-haired Boss” (Dilbert) - Yeah, that’s right, I like Dilbert. The boss is never actually named and is hilariously effective at being the main antagonist.

8. “The War” (All Quiet on the Western Front) - Does this count? There is no clear antagonist in the book, as it’s supposed to show how the boys in the front lines really had no reason to be fighting and weren’t really clear on why they were fighting. If anything, it was the government that was the antagonist.

9. Sockets (Reviving Bionicle) - From that series that I’m sure we all watch and wish was continuing. While we don’t know a TON about her, she’s apparently got a burning desire to put things back the way they were, before she was replaced.

10. Ghid (TTV Message Boards) - Wait, I’m not allowed to say that? Shoot…

The actual 10: Dale the Whale (Monk) - While you probably haven’t heard of the series, Dale is a very good “crime boss” sort of guy. He’s first introduced as being accused of a crime he couldn’t have possibly committed (because he’s a disgustingly fat man) but it’s revealed he blackmailed his personal physician to commit it. He continues to pull strings from prison, though, making him one of the few recurring characters.

7 Likes

I forgot about Dale the Whale. Justice for Trudy :fist:

1 Like

read brave new world
or don’t actually it’s messed up

you might add Monopoly to the list if you’ve read the Bo_ series :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

He is truly villainous. He even withheld the identity of Trudy’s killer just to make Monk even angrier.

2 Likes