Zelda: Breath of the Wild

and also meeting the four Champions. Actually, if the Story DLC is that, then we could get some more character development for the Champions.

1 Like

That would be interesting and all, but I think DLC should be about correcting criticism AND adding a new story. I’d rather it be post BotW Hyrule, with Zelda and Link slowly rebuilding the kingdom and its economy only for the monsters to once again return at an alarming mysterious rate.

We’d then find out that Ganon has uses up all of his malice to corrupt the sacred realm, turning it into a smaller version of the Dark World but at the cost of returning him back to his mortal Beast Ganon body (I’m talking the ALttP/OoT intelligent and bipedal incarnation for Ganon, not whatever the Twilight Princess/BotW one was supposed to be)

Basically: I want some traditional dungeons and the classic depiction of Ganon. I’m tired of them just making him an unintelligent rage monster.

that’s uh
a lot to ask for in a $20 DLC pack
a $20 DLC pack which already has a lot packed in it

1 Like

I just watch Let’s plays.

Allows me to enjoy the game and draw at the same time.

Not really. The new Dark World wouldn’t have to be any bigger than a “Solstheim” or “Far Harbor”.

Most of the things in the Summer half of the DLC are things that require little work. In fact, most devs would have just given the things in it to the user base for free as an update rather than paid content. It reminds me of horse armor, honestly.

That said, I can’t see any of the summer dlc contributing to any more than $5 of the price tag. Besides, they’d have to redo the whole overworld to look prestine for a prequel story. My idea pretty much just has them focusing on making a small landmass, giving us two-three full length dungeons and a proper Ganon fight fight at the end with actual dialogue from the pig dude.

The whole overworld? Nah. All you have to do is limit it to a certain area (e.g. Korok Forest, Hyrule Castle, etc) like past Zeldas have done. You could even have a soft barrier like the one in Korok Forest, the fog that keeps you from wandering too much. In fact, redoing certain parts of the map would probably be easier than creating a new mass. You’ve already got a base to work from.

well uh

you might be a little disappointed then

Eww, keep your linear Skyward Sword structure out of my Zelda! (Just kiddin’)

A new dungeon plus story still has the possibility of being sonething great. They’re not just going to give up on the open world gameplay for a linear story structure without exploration.

Then again, maybe you’re right. If you are though, Nintendo is charging too much for too little, especially compared to other open world devs.

Personally, I don’t want to play as Link 100 years back. We already know what happened. I want a new story set AFTER the events of BotW (possibly acting as a broken steel type expansion so that you actually see the effects of a world after Ganon’s defeat/return rather than just being sent to your previous save after beating him)

That’s a fair point, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that Nintendo would add something semi-linear.

I felt the exact same way when I finished the game 2 months ago:

However, after having spent a little more time thinking about it, I don’t think that Nintendo will add anything that happens after the end of BotW. The ending has already been established. With Calamity Ganon gone, there isn’t any more evil to deal with. You’ve won. Just because you don’t get to experience that victory doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. If Nintendo were to bring Ganon back, it would ruin that ending for people who don’t want the DLC. If you bought the game by itself, you would have to live knowing that you never truly beat the game, that evil was still around after you ‘won’. For better or for worse, the fight with Calamity Ganon is The End of the story, and I don’t think Nintendo will mess with it.

In all honesty, this new DLC will probably just end up being some random island where you have to solve some Shrines and maybe learn a little bit more about the timeline or something. And I’d be okay with that. Best to not set expectations too high.

2 Likes

Calamity Ganon was an awful end story in my opinion. Their dorection with the character was poor from a narrative perspective, and for some reason they keep hiving Beast Ganon the shaft. I really wish they went back to treating Ganondorf/Ganon with the same amount of characterization. They’re literally the same person anyway, and Ganon was known for his intelligence and wit in ALttP and even the original TLoZ. Ganondorf was also originally supposed to be an origin story for Ganon with OoT explaining how he got stuck as a pig dude seales in the Sacred Realm.

I guess I’m just really sour about how they treat Ganon. He didn’t even “die” in this game.

Not to say I don’t love BotW, it’s still my favorite Zelda game. I also love the Calamity Ganon fight more than most previous final boss fights. I just don’t like what they’ve done with Beast Ganon, and how it’s continually overshadowed by his human form.

Honestly, part of me thinks it’s for the better. The most used form of beast ganon was the blue pig for the longest of times, and it looked pretty stupid.

Ganondorf I always found to be more interesting anyways.

1 Like

I personally prefer it. Even then, OoT did a good job of modernizing the form.

Ganondorf is more interesting because they moved all of the characterisation they had started to develop for Ganon over to the human form they created for him. It’s the exact same character, and therefore you could easily give Gabon the same characterization as Wind Waker Ganondorf.

OoT and Twilight Princess are the only times I’ve actually liked it. Maybe A Link To The Past, as well, but that’s it.

See, that’s the thing though. A Link to the Past Ganon, OoT Ganondorf, and TP Ganondorf all have the same characterization: a cruel lust for power that culminates in a master plan to succeed and rule. They’re all the same malicious personality, but TP and BotW pretty much decided Beast Ganon should be pushed to the side, rather than allowing Ganondorf’s personality to shine through in his Beast form as well. The intention for the Beast form should be to enhance Ganondorf’s strength while keeping his smarts. There’s no reason to throw one away. That’s not what Ganon is like traditionally as a character

Only Wind Waker gives Ganondorf likable characterisation.

I will admit, his beard is pretty rad.

So is his kimono, but I’m talking motives. Wind Waker is the only game that sheds light on Ganondorf. It humanized him, and shows that initially rather than being evil, he was just misguided. In Twilight Princess and A Link to the Past, he has become cruel and malicious. Power and his lust for revenge had set him on a path of eternal malice.

1 Like

I honestly have a major complaint with enemies, only bokoblins, hinoxes, moblins, lynels, lizalfos, chuchus, wizrobes n octoroks.

The enemy types seem lacking, and while Nintendo gave their monsters a leveling up motif with colors it just seems unsatisfying.

What about darknuts or iron knuckles? Or poes?.

Also races are lacking, gerudo, sheikah, zora, rito, korok, goron…booo i mean they can be in it but give us also races that never really appeared again like yooks, mogmas, kikwis n parellas :0

Open world games tend to have very little variation in enemy types because the developer can’t afford to spend too much time on that aspect. BotW at the very least makes up for this by actually giving us enemies with good AI and it only increases in intelligence as they go up in rank.

I also think they had a good variety of races. You already have five separate races. I suppose they could have gone the extra mile and added in the Yeti race from TP or the Ooccoo. We can’t have any of the Skywars Sword races besides the mogmas because lore wise the other races are implied to become the races we see in every Zelda game after.

On an unrelated note, THIS piece of art I found online is how I imagined a modern day interpretation of ALttP Pig Ganon would look: http://pre12.deviantart.net/1c6e/th/pre/i/2009/191/2/d/beast_ganon_by_pdubbsquared.jpg

K so, beat nearly every Shrine, defeated Ganon twice (who was a pathetic final boss if I’ve ever seen one, especially his beast form) and don’t really care about the special armour and korok seeds and etc.

But I still love this game.

I decided a long time ago I wouldn’t grind it every day of my existence until I died of boredom, and thanks to that I’m still getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. The whole game is carefully crafted, although the voice acting was a poor decision in my opinion as it’s entirely forgettable, mostly cringy, and doesn’t add anything to the characters you didn’t already know by looking at them.

Overall, I don’t think it’s worth buying a brand-spanking new Switch for this game, not by any means. Now is the time to buy a Wii U and watch the prices slowly drop on the games.

Beast Ganon is almost always treated as a separate entity to Ganondorf - still Ganon, just not as good. Personally I think that’s just plain stupid, considering his portrayal in Smash Bros. and Nintendo pressing the fact that he’s a green-skinned pointy-nosed bearded guy who can sometimes be a pig.

And the blue pig form was the original one, so I guess they had to stick with that for a while. But we haven’t seen it since the Gamecube era (not counting the five second appearance in A Link between Worlds) and I haven’t missed it either. They should just stick with Ganondorf like the did in Wind Waker and keep to the formula they’re already forcing down our throats.

Also Link went from brown/black hair to completely blonde and has been trying to have brown hair ever since

1 Like

@Ghidora131 Alright bud, I have to argue with you on this one. Beast Ganon was a pathetic fight but Calamity Ganon WAS NOT. That fight was challenging, quite arguably the most challenging final boss in a Zelda game outside of AoL. He’s at his best when you boss rush him and even if you do go to all divine beasts he still puts up a really good fight, that is unless you go out of your way specifically to get the best weapons and the best armor. At that point it’s your fault. You should know that EVERY Zelda game gets easy when you go get the biggoron Sword, the Red Tunic and Golden Sword, the Fierce Deity’s Mask etc. Zelda games are ALWAYS easy when you go to get the final items. This is no different. You’re alsi given the option to make it harder. The game design was specifically focused on this.

Also, please don’t act like Wind Waker Ganondorf was better OoT Ganon as a final boss. Wind Waker Ganondorf is what I expect from a first phase boss, not a second phase. ALttP Ganon was also a better boss fight than every Ganondorf fight.

Umm… yes he was. The only challenging portion was the reflecting section at the end. Like, really.

Really, five minutes preparation is all needed. Just go buy some bomb arrows and you’re practically in the clear as long as you have a few good shields. You don’t even need armour at all.

So it’s my fault that Nintendo put some of the best weapons in the game literally everywhere?? you can’t walk around for ten minutes without running across something usable, much less something at all.[quote=“Tarvaax, post:100, topic:24786”]
You’re also given the option to make it harder. The game design was specifically focused on this.
[/quote]
… In the DLC. Really, BotW was about average.[quote=“Tarvaax, post:100, topic:24786”]
Also, please don’t act like Wind Waker Ganondorf was better OoT Ganon as a final boss.
[/quote]
I… Really can’t tell what this is supposed to say, but I assume it means that I somehow stated that the actual fight of Ganondorf in WW was somehow better than OoT’s fight just because I pointed out Blue Pig Ganon’s unnecessary existence. Well, you’re wrong, I never said anything like that at all. I did say, however, that Blue Pig Ganon is an outdated and unpopular character for Ganon and the familiarized and more accepted Ganondorf is what Nintendo readily pushes forward and expects up to believe no different. Then they go and make ant-shaped blob of stomach acid and call it Gano-

oops forgot the beard

Ant-shaped blob of stomach acid with a beard and call it Ganon, and it isn’t even hard. Seriously, I had more trouble with the Wind Blight than this guy. Actually, to put things into better perspective, I had more trouble with Kirby’s boss rush than this guy.