I did this for 810NICLE Day, but forgot to post it here. Whoops!
Basically my intention was to create a visual that allowed you to compare related events in the 2001 storyline at a glance.
Unlike the many projects that focus on retelling the canonical story in a set order, I wanted to provide a resource that allows you to read the story in a way that makes sense to you (Including “lesser canon” such as the unpublished draft of Chronicles #1, and Legend of Mata Nui). Obviously there are contradictions, but I feel like overall they help fill in the gaps of the broader narrative.
For example, comparing each depiction of Tahu’s arrival, we see that:
- Tahu rebuilds himself, passing Takua on his way to the Charred Jungle
- Takua (and later Vakama) attempts to follow him
- In the jungle, Tahu mistakes (one or more) villagers for enemies
- Vakama arrives just in time to explain Tahu’s destiny
- Returning to Ta-Koro, Tahu saves the village from a flood of lava
- Afterwards Tahu leaves to find the other Toa, surfing across the lava
- By the time Takua arrives, Tahu is already gone and Vakama fills him in
There were also two scenes cut from Chronicles #1 that I believe were adapted from the LEGO Adventures comics: In Lewa’s chapter, he meets Kongu. In Gali’s, she meets Lewa. Not only does this happen before Pohatu and Kopaka’s meeting, but it adds more context to Lewa and Gali’s interactions in the DC comics. Since they were already acquainted, it makes sense they’d check in with one another after the Toa part ways!
Many of the other events may be only loosely connected through characters or location, (such as when Lewa and Kopaka are in Le-Wahi) but I tried to organize things in a way that could be read more or less chronologically. My thinking is that even if something was adapted from another source, the creators may have interpreted it differently.
- Do the Toa work together, or individually?
- Does “Villager” refer to Matoro or Nuju?
- Does Gali save her village from a whirlpool or a Rahi?
- And how does Onua save Lewa after he loses his mask?
Anyway, I hope the graphic is interesting and useful (even without the non-canon things!)
(BTW, although I had hoped to do a similar graphic for the other years, this took a lot more time than I expected so I’m not making any promises!)