2008 Makuta Teridax

YT Video

Hello fellow compatriots to yet another build! This time I wondered what would Teridax looked like if he stayed in the maxilos robot for longer than expected. And after a lot of back and forth in looking though parts in the years of 2007-08 I realized that not only did we get a new Avohki in 08 but it so happened to also be in gun metal. Further more, Onua Mistika’s mask looks a lot like a Kraahkan. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! We have gotten most of the ingredients needed in those years to make a Teridax. Even Vezon’s Mask/Helmet looks oddly similar to the rahkshi backs of old used for Teridax’s legs. Outside of stars aligning in a beautifully visage in the heavens of this great universe, this moc also has a few play features.

And considering he would theoretical be in the year of 08, hence the design language of this build, he retains a waist swivel. The same swinging feature 2003 Terry had, this build has it too. Yet the head remains stationary just like the Rahkshi.

Furthermore he can fire his Antidermis staff. Essentially weaponizing his essence. However I opted to use Vahki Staffs for his staff instead of the hurricane blades takanuva used to keep some distinction between the two. Furthermore I wanted him to look like he could not just fly, but fly very fast. Considering he has been weakened so many times and has been running around without wings he is now loaded with turbines and thrusters. The Claw elements in the back of the legs are now thrusters, the vents on his hips now are thrusters, and has another engine strapped to his back that also acts as the play feature knob for additional horizontal speed. Though now that I am writing this I should have made the wings rotate… -_-

I can fix that afterwards lol. Anyways this is your host Tributron here and that is all for now so I will see you all maybe next week with a new build. Happy Building and Play Well everyone!

16 Likes

Love the reuse of that Onua mask, it looks like a bulked out Kraahkan

4 Likes

It very much does look like a Kraahkan, part of me feels that they purposefully released parts between 07 & 08 just so that you could theoretically make an 08 Terry. It is oddly satisfying how 08 takanuva, Maxilos & Spinax, and Onua had the elements necessary to potentially make the guy. And having the black, red, silver, and gunmetal parts in the right shaping. It’s weird but cool

4 Likes

Cool moc! I like the very greebly, raw mechanical look this guy has and the functions are pretty nice as well. Overall a really good build and design!

3 Likes

The use of so many design cues from the 2003 set, except redone with 2008 versions of parts, is great.

On a separate note, that alternate build of the Zamor Launcher to be able to use the axle holes on the side for mounting blades is super cool. Are there any performance issues caused by the alternate (and asymmetrical) tube mount, or does it work as normal?

4 Likes

Excellent question! The alternate construction of the launcher operates the same as the vanilla build. However instead of hooking your fingers around what used to be the finger rests, you are effectively pinching/gripping the sides of the blaster as you pull the gun back like a plunger. Almost like pulling back a slide on a gun.

And I am glad you like the build, I had fun making it.

2 Likes

It’s good to hear that I was able to translate the Maxilos robot’s design language into this for a modified Makuta body.

Also thanks!

2 Likes

This is an amazing concept! I genuinely think if we got a 2008 Teridax from Lego, it would look basically like this.

However, I would recommend beefing up the upper torso. The original set had a good set of shoulders and looked bulky in that area, and I think there is room for putting some more armor on the sides of the Pohatu arm in his chest.

That’s my only complaint. This is really well executed, I particularly like the use of the old Technic shells on the shoulder armor in combination with Metru feet, I think it gives it a nice outline.

3 Likes

I’m glad you like it! Though now I am wondering how to bulk up the sides, without breaking away the look of a modified maxilos robot. Maybe pistons? or something else?

2 Likes