Abandoned Arctic Rescue Base (Biocup2023 R1)

Built for Round 1 of Biocup 2023.

Primary Theme: Biomes
Subtheme: Tundra

IMG_2001a

During the 1980’s, a group of figures known as Technicians (or Technic Figures/Guys) launched an exploration mission to the arctic. They got more action than anticipated and requested the creation of an emergency and rescue force to be stationed on the frozen circle. In 1986, the first Arctic Rescue Base (ARB/MRB) was established and emergency operations launched smoothly. Though it would be the last MRB to ever be stationed in the arctic.

For reasons unknown, the ARB was abandoned in 2000, with all Technician operations ending by 2002. Rumor has it that lack of interest and funding was the primary cause. The ARB was old, so its occupants were forced to come home sooner than the rest. But that is not the story I believe.

I believe they were attacked. Unexpectedly.

Around the early 2000’s, Minifigs from Lego Town were doing their own arctic exploration. They were looking for some meteor fragments, maybe hoping for some rare minerals. But something went wrong. Rather than minerals, I believe they contained aliens - monsters. And lacking emergency services of their own, they called the old Technician base.

Being the good and helpful figures they were, they went to rescue the Minifigs. And, somehow, one of those monsters got brought back to their base. Maybe it hitched a ride, maybe someone brought one of the meteors. However it played out, monsters got in and destroyed everything. Their only option was the flee and everyone covered it up.

Oh sure, Lego City has resumed arctic research, but they avoid specific areas. No one, not a single one, has gone to the old Lego Town bases or any of the Technician ones. It’s like they’re doing it on purpose!

But everyone will know the truth soon enough! I will head their myself and explore that wasteland! And when I find it. . . Everyone must believe me.

IMG_1991a

Too many options

I am definitely not indecisive. Totally.

IMG_1983a
IMG_1985a
IMG_1992a
IMG_1996a
IMG_1997a
IMG_2016a
IMG_2019a
IMG_2054a

Spin Around:
IMG_2052a
IMG_2050a
IMG_2048a
IMG_2042a
IMG_2039a
IMG_2038a
IMG_2036a
IMG_2032a
IMG_2025a
IMG_2028a

Wreckage Closeups:

IMG_2005a
IMG_2003a
IMG_2008a
IMG_2015a
IMG_2012a
IMG_2007a
IMG_2021a
IMG_2011a

Landscape:

IMG_2055a
IMG_2057a
IMG_2059a
IMG_2060a
IMG_2061a

Arctic Rescue Base:

IMG_2091a
IMG_2093a
IMG_2094a
IMG_2096a
IMG_2097a
IMG_2101a
IMG_2103a
IMG_2105a
IMG_2107a

Arctic Rescue Unit:

IMG_2069a
IMG_2070a
IMG_2072a
IMG_2074a

Helicopter:

IMG_2075a
IMG_2077a

Snowplow:

IMG_2081a
IMG_2083a
IMG_2085a
IMG_2087a

IMG_2089a
Look at me ma! I’m a missile truck now!

Monsters:

IMG_2064a
IMG_2066a

Designer’s Madness: Short version, these are two of the old Technic Arctic Action sets, but long abandoned, in ruins, and home to monsters. If you’d like to know more and the journey for how we got to my build, please see what’s below.

Long

Yo. So, this was a nightmare. I had very few ideas for what to do with Tundra and I decided that the most fun would be a modern remake of the Arctic Rescue Base set from the Arctic Action subtheme. That was a mistake.

I have a difficult time understanding/visualizing scale. So I figured that, what, the base probably only would take maybe two panels at most alongside the windows? Maybe the floor would take two, maybe three at most. Oh no, it can take about six of the largest flat/straight Technic panels for the floor. And the most I have (or had, we’ll get to that) of those panels in one color is four. Oh no.

Yeah, I don’t have to use just panels, I can use beams as well. But a lot of my beams are in black. Within the first week, I bought as many white panels, beams, and some other parts in the closest location I could, hoping they were arrive a day before my holiday weekend. But since I couldn’t rely on it arriving on time, I needed a new plan.

With the modern remake of the base, it was going to be mostly one-to-one. Changes here and there to match closer to the current Technic set style. I say closer, because I wanted to use my solar panel parts on the top. And because just having the base wouldn’t be good enough, it needed some twist. Thus, the base was going to be abandoned, in a wreck, and haunted by a monster. But I couldn’t build at that size, so it was time for math.

I needed to know the size of the original and the dimensions of each section. Once I had those, convert from stud measurements to more friendly Technic beam lengths. And half the size, hopefully keeping the relative proportions of the sets accurately. Stud.io is so nice for showing lengths, much faster than counting studs from set photos as I was doing during lunch breaks. And if you’re wondering about those, you can have it here:

numbers

Note: These measurements aren’t perfect. I was using LDraw models taken from Technicopedia, but some of the model angles makes things a bit deceptive. Primarily with the plow, but I didn’t have the time to correct its positioning.

Ski: 4 x 37 x 4 studs
Ski Legs: 1 x 2 x 4.2 studs
Red Gate/Elevator: 18 x 14 x 8 studs
White Gate: 15 x 16.7 x 13.8 studs

Base Height in total: 26.5 x 38 x 23.6 studs
Base Exterior size: 26.5 x 31 x 17.4 studs
Base Interior size: roughly 21 x 26 x 15 studs
Internal floor: 16 x 24 x 0.6 studs
Roof: 18 x 24 x 14.6 studs, 3 stud overhand on each side with windows, so 24 x 24 studs

Window Placement in Walls: 1 stud inside exterior wall, extends out 2 studs away from exterior wall/support beam, 4 studs between each window units, roughly 2.5 studs beneath the ceiling at height, level with the floor.
Window Units Total: 4 x 8 x 11 studs
Lower Windows: 4 x 8 x 5 studs
Upper Windows: 1 x 8 x 6.2 studs

Computer: 4 x 8 x 5.8 studs
Gearbox: 6 x 6 x 6.2 studs

Helicopter Total Size: 9.5 x 27.2 x 14.5 studs
Tail: 2.5 x 13 x 4.6 studs
Primary Rotor: 1 x 21 x 1.5 studs
Body: 8.5 x 15.8 x 10.3 studs

Rescue Unit Total: 14.9 x 26.2 x 19.7 studs
Back compartment: 12.9 x 11.4 x 12.1 studs
Cab and hood: 12 x 13.9 x 12.4 studs
Tire frame: 13.4 x 20.4 x 7.7 studs

Plow: 8 x 13.3 x 8.6 studs
Plow body: 8 x 8.9 x 8.6 studs
Plow Blade: 8 x 3.1 x 4.1 studs
Pistons: 1 x 5.8 x 4.3 studs

…And I ended up largely ignoring much of it due to part limitations. Because I didn’t have parts I thought I did and definitely didn’t order. Ha ha ha. . .

Oh, and the mission expanded a bit. Since the base was now smaller, I could potentially afford to build other things. Like the Arctic Rescue Unit, though a very broken version of it, to include as part of the landscape. Because there was going to be a landscape now.

Around this time, I remembered I have the last Mindstorms set, but hadn’t opened it yet. There were plenty of white panels in that. So after cannibalization my poor robots, and with the order arriving, and had enough to finish the base and build the landscape. Which means that it was entirely possible I could have replicate the base at a larger scale…but oh well. Future project.

For the landscape, I was trying to replicate the box and set instruction art for the subtheme. I was going to do that with System, using a lot of giant rock parts and using random white pieces to style it…But that didn’t look smooth enough, at least with the parts I have, so that was thrown to the curb. And I instead grabbed what panels I had remaining to build up the more ramp-like mountain. So it’s almost pure Technic, from the floor to all landscaping details.

I had considered using some Bionicle/CCBS for detailing, but I hadn’t decided on what the creature would look like yet. Figured for a more consistent look, the Bionicle stuff would be alien and clearly the thing that shouldn’t be here and what caused the destruction. In early versions, the vehicles had swords going through them rather than the ice spikes. But I couldn’t decide on a color and didn’t want to do another black/void/in the shadows monster. Or orange, like with the Bed’N Monsters. And due to the rock colors available, that left it as either trans-orange or trans-light blue. Obviously, went with light blue.

I always thought the monster would end up being more tentacle filled. Never thought I would go a more cute bug route, but eh, here we are.

Alright, but that’s enough out of me. Criticisms and comments are always welcomed.

16 Likes

I absolutley love that you took the old subtheme and put tjis spin on it, putting in some story and connecting it to the town arctic theme! Though the moddls are scaled down, I think it works, given you had to fit it all in with terrain, and it sorta gives the monsters a little more actual size than just their build at face value.
Good luck!

6 Likes

really cute mini builds!

6 Likes