All Insane Kids's album - found!

Hi! My personal 8/10 goal this year was creating and posting a video for my BIONICLE iceberg to go with the meme that was blowing up recently. That ended up falling through.

However, as part of my research for the iceberg, I discovered that All Insane Kids, the band behind such classics as “Hero” and “Caught in a Dream”, actually produced an entire album in 2005 (they also recorded a second album that has gone unreleased). The band had changed their name to Dial Zero, and the album is self-titled. It’s not on any streaming services. So, my 8/10 goal changed from “make the iceberg video” to “upload this lost content”! I have transcribed the lyrics here, transcribed the guitar parts of a few songs here, and the album will be premiering on my YouTube channel tomorrow, 8/12, at noon central. You can watch it at the link below.

The album has 11 tracks, one hidden track, and I’ve taken the liberty of scrounging up the one compilation appearance the band had and tacking it on the end. There are incomplete lyrics in the CD booklet, and for the songs that have their lyrics in the booklet, I’ve used the booklet art for their images in the video. Once the premiere is complete, I will upload the songs individually to my channel.

24 Likes

This truly is a discovery fit for the darkest depths of any iceberg, thank you for sharing this find! Having not heard it yet I cannot know how it compares but would you say this lost album is the same standard as their other work?

3 Likes

There are some songs that really made me giddy. “Run When the Sky is Green” and “I Wanna Go All the Way to Have Some Fun” are comparable to the sounds of “Hero” and “Caught in a Dream”. “Queenbees” and “Teenager” are probably my favorites, they both nail their atmospheres. “I Hate” and “Holy Waters” are cinematic to a similar degree as the two Bonkle tracks too.

3 Likes

You are incredible thank you for this.

2 Likes

This is a great find! And with the name change, it makes so much sense now why people couldn’t find much on AIK before this. Will definitely be taking a listen to these later tonight.

(Also, does this mean you’re Bionicle Without Bionicle?)

2 Likes

yes, i am lol

2 Likes

Dang, great find! It’s really neat to hear these, and in fact, I kind of much prefer these songs to either “Hero” or “Caught in a Dream” :stuck_out_tongue:

Where did you buy the album from?

1 Like

Discogs. It’s a music cataloging site and marketplace. I just got a copy of the Power Pack CD on there.

2 Likes

Maybe this should be merged into this topic:

3 Likes

i listened to the album recently and shockingly it’s really good i was surprised about that and it’s somewhat a shame that they did do any other albums.

2 Likes

They recorded a second but it’s unreleased as the band broke up before it could be mastered. The drummer and guitarist are part of a band on SoundCloud called Kings on Parole, but they haven’t updated their Facebook since 2015.

2 Likes

This was a fun album to listen to, even without Bionicle connotations. Thank you so much for finding and uploading!

Maniac4Bricks (Joey)

4 Likes

Quick update, it’s on Spotify now, along with a few singles

3 Likes

The singles are likely not the same band, and I’m not sure the album is an authorized upload given the AIK singles were uploaded recently without the band’s consent.

Edit: actually, @Wekua, that is them. When I uploaded the album, a commenter told me they saw a DZ live show in the early 2000’s where they played a song “that sounded like a ‘50s ballad” where the chorus went “there’s a wall of shame around us.” The “Together We’ll Never Make It Home” EP features “Wall of ■■■■”, which is almost definitely that song given the chorus is the same with the word “shame” swapped for “■■■■”.

3 Likes