Alternate models for the Toa Mahri

It’s not news that the Toa Mahri had no combo models (Yes, the Manutri, but I mean standalone, sans Barraki). Which is somewhat disappointing, having the six since '07, so I turned them into creatures using only pieces from the set in question, so you don’t need to have all of them to make these.

Kongu has been remade as a venom eel, using the red axles and darts to create teeth (and eyes, simultaneously). The darts also make nice spikes. The gray dominates the body, but the mostly accented green looks nice for natural marbling.

Jaller is remade as a squid, This model does outsource chains from Hewkii, but the idea is to add as many chains and hoses for tentacles as desired. The darts function as suckers.

Hewkii has become a mutated Keras. The arms have somewhat limited articulation with different sized claws, and is the only one of these models to use the mask.

Nuparu is recreated as a stingray, the only one to use the eyestalk piece. Like many of these, the hips are paced where the head would go, with the legs making nice feelers, and the Metru chest rounding the head. The combined shields and feet made good fins, if only they could be larger.

Hahli was made as an arthropod; best of all, the sockets need not be taken apart. The wings pulled off the carapace well enough, and the armor pieces were good for ‘grasshopper’ legs. Unfortunately, that is as far as the head goes up, but the construction of it is unique, using the foot and claw held together with the darts. This also borrows a second hose piece.

Finally, Matoro is done as a mutated Takea, using the torso as its head, and darts for long teeth. The legs and blades are superimposed as a tail, and the feet and armor as fins. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much of a way for making a larger dorsal fin, but maybe it doesn’t need it, using only darts as one.

Disclaimer: I am not accountable for bent Cordak darts as a result of using them as pins.

22 Likes

You absolutely are and you will go to lego prison for your crimes

8 Likes

I’ll be honest, when I saw the first one I thought it was just Ehlek standing next to Kongu’s shot-to-bits corpse. I couldn’t really tell what any of them are supposed to be until I read their descriptions except Hewkii, who is rather recognisable as a crab, and definitely the best out of the lot.

1 Like

If looking at them just like at any MOCs, they are not very good.
But considering pieces you had to work with… these are fantastic!
My favorite is Jaller-squid, it fits with Kalmah in color scheme and is just cool.
Venom Eel and Takea are not so good, I think, but pretty nice too.
And some great usages of darts of course (as eyes, especially).

Me remembering all the Lime Sockets issues:
:smiley: :sweat_smile: :joy: :sob:
It is an elegant solution actually.

2 Likes

My favorite is definitely the Hahli bug. The Jaller squid is also neat.

Since you have all of the Mahri, I suggest making some combo models as well.

I really like the idea behind these! The Nuparu manta ray would probably be my favorite if it had a shorter tail, and the shaping of the Jaller squid’s head is inspired. As it is, I think may favorite would either be Hahli or Matoro.

These are waky but I love em