Amnesia and Memory Loss

Amnesia occurs quite a lot in Bionicle. How do you feel about it? And do you think it helps the story?

Take Takua for example: He’s an Av-Matoran and losses his memory to go undercover as a Ta-Matoran. Then gets stuffed in a Matoran Sphere and losses his memory again. Then he crash lands in the sand and losses his memory AGAIN. I swear there’s some Great Being out there who just enjoys making Takua lose his memory.

17 Likes

I find it ironic that Takua, a Matoran who has suffered amnesia multiple times, has an occupation that requires him to retell events that he has witnessed.

21 Likes

There are quite a few tropes that BIONICLE uses over the years. I mean, mind-control/character conversion is the favorite. (See infected mask, krana, Tahu going cuckoo in MoL, Vakama in WoS, enslaved matoran, shadow leeches. Need I say more?)

I think that it sometimes could help with the story though. Maybe not if you use it quite to the extent they are in the series, but you also have to keep things interesting.

8 Likes

[grammar nazi] LOSE, IT’S LOSE, NOT LOSS. [/grammar nazi]

…I also notice that no one has pointed out the other LEGO themes yet.

Scorpions from Chima, the Overlord’s Darkmatter Bolts from Ninjago, Hypnobrai from Ninjago, so on and so forth. Oh and Crooler’s plant thing.

1 Like

Hey, he got amnesia and forgot how to spell lose.

I like memory loss as a plot point used for mystery.

2 Likes

I use amnesia in my stories, but crazy selective.

As in I have a character in one of my stories that can literally delete memories, but only does so to prevent people from doing certain things.

So yeah he can pretty much delete your memory of a password right before you enter it.

Did I mention my villains are OP?

1 Like

Hey! Don’t make fun of the amnesiac.

3 Likes

who are you again?

sorry.

I had something to say, but I forgot what it was.

4 Likes

I think it was used a few times too often, but it doesn’t really bother me. All series have their crutches (look at how many times Captain Kirk had to talk down an evil computer).

I want to see a Memento-style movie set in the Bionicle universe that makes fun of how amnesia (or, more accurately, memory erasure) was used. Brb, writing it myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m sorry, @Takua. I didn’t mean to offend you.

You have failed at being a grammar nazi.

MEMORY LOSS - as defined by the National Institutes of Health

"Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both.

“The memory loss may be for a short time and then resolve (transient). Or it may not go away, and, depending on the cause, it can get worse over time.”

(it’s in the Medical Dictionary.)

Hey, what about the other guys who get amnesia, the matoran and the Toa Mata/Nuva?

3 Likes

[grammar nazi] That’s correct in how they used it. LOSS, is when you LOSE something. You cannot LOSS something. Think about it in a normal context. Would you say when you can’t find a MOC, that you have loss it, or that you have lost it? It’s a loss that you lost it. [/grammar nazi]

2 Likes

You still fail at being a grammer Nazi because you only quoted ‘LOSS’ instead of doing something like this:

Thus making what you were grammer-nazi-ing unclear.

3 Likes

This is true.

That doesn’t mean my grammar nazi skills are bad, just my message boarding skills wavering :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, a lot of series have similar crutches. I, for one, am a HUGE sucker for stories that involve body switching/transforming such as Animorphs.