An Arguement for Genderlocking

It’s not that I ‘can’t stand others opinions’ it’s that I’ve seen people banned for this sort of thing

2 Likes

Like who? And for what? For “being sexist”?
Again, nobody is sexist here, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

That’s probably because something got too heated and stopped being civil. So far it doesn’t seem like this is heading in that direction.

3 Likes

Agreed. Lets keep this discussion civil and calm.

4 Likes

I don’t see any post here that demean women or says that they are bad. I don’t see any posts that demean men and say they are bad. I don’t see posts on gender-neutrals or the like either.

We don’t know Lego’s reasoning on this. I have not seen any sexist ideologies in Bionicle other then that which is kind of a strech. I have not seen anything to imply the demeaning of women in the movies or the games. Does that mean sexism isn’t in Bionicle? No. But I haven’t seen it.

Don’t demean people. Don’t be rude and curse at others.

Now I’ll have to read the other comments that have transpired since writing this lol.

3 Likes

BTW what do you think of my comment?
(quoting it so it can be found much more easily)

Just adding this here but by all means debates are allowed.

also I forget if quoting myself is allowed or not, welp time to see if it is

3 Likes

Also, has it been confirmed that ALL Ga-Matorans are female or the MAJORITY of them are. Just because the ones on Mata/Metru Nui are all female doesn’t mean all Ga-Matorans are female.

1 Like

If I remember correctly there was a ga-matoran on MNOG that used the masculine gender pronouns. though I’m probably wrong there, it’s been a while since I’ve played it

1 Like

Quoting Biosector:
“They are also one of the female Matoran types.”
Tho this doesn’t mean they are all females.

2 Likes

You know, I just thought of something. If the great beings originally didnt give the matoran universe inhabitants sentience, why did they even give them genders? Its not like they even had personalities anyway. Could it have originally been an aesthetic thing (not identifiable in the sets) just to simply help differentiate the “models” if you will, or aid in specific functions? Like maybe earth matoran having broader shoulders for carrying heavy things and digging, ga-matoran being thinner and sleeker for swimming, (swimmers tend to be lean) etc? Maybe when Velika “awakened” them, he simply coded in some base traits based on the physical appearances he saw, because it matched what he knew as a biological organism? It still makes little sense, but I’m just throwing darts at the wall.

5 Likes

So more gender in name and genderless by function?

3 Likes

Maybe they don’t even comprehend the idea of genders, and they use different pronouns as a programming issue or something.

5 Likes

I guess? It literally could have been just for artistic or convenience sake in story.

2 Likes

I mean, after all, they are robots. Unless you secifically want them to have a gender, by theory they should be just some pieces of moving metal.
Like take for example Sophia. She is a she because her makers wanted it. If their only goal was to make an AI, a robotic mind that exists only to do stuffs that we want, then she wouldn’t be considered a female, she wouldn’t look like a creepy female. She would be completely genderless, although it’s prettu hard for us to comprehend a being with no gender.
Like WallE should be genderless. Why in the world would a dying species give a gender to this type of robots. Eve too. Why would Eve be programmed to have a gender. In theory, they should be genderless, although if you would have the two in front of you (and because Disney) it would be hard for you not to call the sleek, cleaner one female and the dirtier and cuter one male.

4 Likes

Grabs popcorn

This is fun :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as the “sexism” goes, I’d say it’s only really to the extent of “it’s a boy’s toy, so let’s have boy characters because they’ll relate to that better”, and then the lore backed this up to the extreme. Is this an old-fashioned idea? Probably, but it’s much the same as girl-oriented toys like my little pony at least, that was the intention having a primarily female cast. I don’t think bionicle in particular is to blame, it was just something that became a pattern in how people did gender ratios for toys aimed at specific genders.

Now, the idea that that concept itself is possibly sexist is a whole different debate.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s why they changed things on Bara Magna. They said that any tribe could have female members…even if they never released any female characters as sets. (except Kiina)

1 Like

Is the only reason your saying that genderlocking should exist is because the creators decided it should be that way? I think you’re trying to say that it “makes sense” in the world with the backstory and rules that they made up - but I think the big point is that it was dumb to create it this way in the first place :confused:

3 Likes

I just wanted more female characters that were any other color than blue. Is that too much to ask, G1? :weary:

5 Likes

you have Psionic… wait that’s also blue…
so is lightning…

I think elements should be gender-locked… just because I have respect for the upbringings of bionicle and I want to stick to its old traditions.