AniΣal Planet, knockoff lego sets, and saving the world's wildlife

Let me preface this by giving you some context. Currently, I’m visiting my grandfather in literally nowhere texas; a small town called Electra. Visualize a dusty, dying hamlet with one retail store total… A dollar store. Within the toy aisle of that decrepit shop is a cluttered pile of odds and ends, featuring a number of second-rate block toys and plastic weaponry. Something catches your eye; a flashy cardboard box with a dinky, yet endearing knockoff lego dinosaur on it.

You pick up the box with mild curiosity. It has a certain look to the creature that reminds you a bit of the old X-Pods from the early 2000’s.

Then you notice the brand name. AniΣal Planet.

How curious; you haven’t watched that channel in a while. It’s a dollar, so you figure that you might as well buy it for the novelty.

That’s where I am with it.

So, apparently, by purchasing this item, I’m helping save the animals or something. As you can see, the proceeds go to an actual initiative called ROAR(link here). Unfortunately, I highly doubt that my whole dollar is being poured into the cause here, one has to factor in the retailer’s cut and production/distribution costs. I suspect I’ve only actually donated a quarter or so.

That begs the question; why did they think that they would be able to make up the cost of producing these guys if they’re only to be sold for a dollar? I mean, it might make sense to sell bigger sets or something like that, but I highly doubt that they’re going to actually be able to make an impact with these extremely cheap, yet poorly distributed sets. I also question why they didn’t just talk to lego about producing a retailer exclusive(or even line of sets) rather than printing their own? Animal Planet isn’t exactly a small name, and if the licensed brand is coming to lego with a proposition, rather than the other way around it would seem like a really easy deal to make. I imagine that the same could be said for higher end competitors(Mega Blox comes to mind). The proceeds are going to a just cause, after all.

As for the set itself, it’s actually not too bad for a knockoff.

Here’s what’s in the box:

These are the only parts that have notably different molds.

The plastic is alright, and aside from where the stud/peg parts clip on to the plate, he holds together pretty well.

But yeah, that’s all. Just a little oddity that I found in an obscure place and figured I’d share.

29 Likes

That actually looks like a good Lego knock-off. Huh.

Is this really by Animal Planet? I find it really suspicious that a big company would rip off LEGO like that.

12 Likes

Why would Animal Planet do this though? It just doesn’t make sense…

3 Likes

I did too, but both the box and instructions sheet have the proper corporate footnotes for Discovery Communications LLC and the company that produced the toy(Block Tech). Additionally, they feature numerous advertisements for the Animal Planet website and the ROAR page.

That would be a lot of unrequisited advertising for a hoax company to include, given that they would only benefit for name recognition.

3 Likes

So uh…

is this compatible with lego or certain other brick based stuff or knockoffs?

Yes and no.

They work about as well as you’d expect from a knockoff; they’re designed to connect and everything, but some of the molds are a bit odd and the plastic has an iffy grip, so I wouldn’t exactly build with the stuff.

Also, merging the brands is bound to create and unholy amalgamation that will taint the earth with its putrid existence, so I wouldn’t dare attempt such a thing.

9 Likes

Doesn’t look like any Dinosaur of which I know.

Well, this would’ve gone better if they had actually partnered with Lego.
Like, it might’ve actually gotten somewhere.

What kind of dinosaur is it?

It looks like an anorexic baby Stegosaurus

9 Likes

They stole the tail from Kre-o!

the scamps!

2 Likes

Really? I was wondering where that came from!

It’s a new species. I made an accurate artist’s representation(product of boredom).

14 Likes

Honestly Animal Planet and other science Tv shows have lots of strangely similar products so this is no shock.