Anniversary collection line for g1 bionicle?

What if for a 20 year anniversary we got one set selected from a poll every year for the ten years of bionicle? (Its far fetched but it’s fun to imagine.) ((If bionicle g2 even lasts till 2021 :persevere:)) (((EDIT: They would use the same molds.)))

8 Likes

They’d have to make too many new moulds.

3 Likes

I did not know they have thrown out the old molds… /s

1 Like

Probably not gonna happen, but if they did, I would vote for the largest set every year just to torture them on the molding and pricing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d want the biggest, best set from each year.

2 Likes

Lego doesn’t retire molds as often as people think. In fact they have only done it to parts with questionable structure. (Or ones belonging to trademarks Lego no longer has rights to)

So as long as they use the most up to date socket design they will be more than fine.

4 Likes

We were told all the old G1 molds were scrapped.

3 Likes

and yet several have been brought into G2 sets

3 Likes

Two.

There’s a reason everyone’s so excited by the old parts being brought back.

And they only scrapped the mold, I am almost sure they would never destroy the master sculpt, since that is literally art.

With the master sculpt, you can recreate a mold.

4 Likes

This sounds like the plot setup for a Mission Impossible movie.
Now we go steal all the master molds.
/s

3 Likes

It isn’t cost effective.

All they do is move the mold out of the factory floor.

1 Like

They didn’t plan to bring Bionicle back until 3 years after cancelling it. Do you really think they kept all those molds that take up space and can be melted down to make new molds for new themes?

They always said it was a possibility. They just didn’t plan it until later.

3 Likes

Either way, they would need to make new molds, especially after CCBS became a thing.

We were told BY LEGO that they scrapped the molds.

And one other thing, the newly returned parts in sets look like they were molded in a perfect, clean process. Do you know what this probably means?

3 Likes

Scrapping doesn’t always mean destroying. In fact manufacturers rarely do that.

The only part of the molding machinery that actually is part specific is a small mold part. They swapped the ones devoted to bionicle to other pieces.

That means the plastic is different. I.E. they used a different material.

2 Likes

Unless if they think the several-hundred pound steel tool isn’t going to make them any more money.

Here’s the thing. What happens to a mold over time?

I want to see if you know this.

The Vorox armor was never retired it came out in a few hero factory lines.

2 Likes

We shall launch the crusade to take back the master molds!

4 Likes

Well, not all molds. But compared to the amount of parts made in G1, still a LOT.

Most G1 parts fall under this category.

I’d love anniversary sets but I don’t think it’s likely. I guess we will have to wait.