Annona, devourer of dreams

Annona. False star, scourge of the Iron tribe, splitter of the Skrall and unwilling inspiration to the great beings. And of course till now a blank spot in my collection.

That of course I couldnt leave that way and so I set to work to design a filler for that spot. Considering the fact she was described as looking like a red star it was obvious from the start what kind of colors I was going to work with and so after going through half a dozen not so great ideas to try and form a vague sphere i finaly managed to come up with this:

soon after the color choice became clear I also got the idea of being able to give her an actual face thanks to the transparent mask of fire which I liked a lot and definitely wanted to include since hey how often do you get a use out of a part like that.

Even developed a small semi headcanon for that aspect of the model: The Hau is a very important symbol in the matoran universe. With its similarities to the mask of fire one could consider the possibility that the Hau was created based on a distorted subconscious image of the Great beings’ eldritch source of inspiration.

17 Likes

While she is a lil’ gappy, I think the concept and execution are both pretty strong. Nice work!

2 Likes

This is my favorite Anonna moc- the simplicity is beautiful and effective

2 Likes

The all-translucent (or at least mostly-translucent) build is really impressive. Usually when I see “translucent” builds, there’s some kind of opaque internal skeleton visible, but that’s not really the case here.

2 Likes

fully gapless sadly wasnt something i was able to pull off with constraction pieces. thankfully its a lot less noticeable when you dont aim a light straight at her. and thanks

realy? thank you thats some very high praise to receive

thank you yes minimizing opaque parts was one of my main goals. wherever it wasnt straight up impossible i took a while to go through all the trans orange or red possibilities to realy make sure it had to be opaque.

in the end the only opaque pieces are a connector hub with bars and a 3l axle at the very core which makes them very easy to not notice, as well as a bunch of 2l axles and the ball pieces. thanks to them being red they still fit in well enough to not stick out too much. technicaly a chunk of the inner workings also had to be proper trans red instead of trans neon orange but thankfully those blend in real well

2 Likes