Another Chronicle

This is a mirror of a story posted to Archive of Our Own.

Chapter One: The Meeting
The underbrush cracked and broke as a tall, red-armored warrior stalked through it. He knew not how long he had walked - a minute? An hour? A week? Come to think of it, he didn’t know what any of those things even were. He knew only two things for certain: his name was Tahu, and he controlled the flames.

He turned. Over his shoulder, he could see his fires licking the corpses of fallen trees, consuming the dry grasses and ferns, parting the overhead canopy. This was more like it! It was too dark in this jungle. Tahu needed to see the sun, feel its warmth on his mask. He cut a swath through the trees, his path revealed by a tower of smoke, climbing on the updrafts.

Atop a mountain peak, the snows shifted. Something stirred beneath the frost, rising, casting off the ice in chunks. It straightened its limbs ponderously, testing the limits of the mechanical joints connecting its organic muscle tissue. Its eyes opened, blue light streaming through the eyeholes of its mask. It huffed, cold seeping through its white metal armor. It was re-energized now.

It stood up fully straight, extending an arm, at the end of which was mounted a long, flat sword. Extricating its feet now from the drifts, it stepped to the edge of the cliff, and leapt. A beam of ice shot forth from the tip of the sword, coursing straight down, building a ramp of ice. The white warrior now unlimbered a shield from its back, tossing it to the ramp, and landing hard with both feet before pushing off, riding the slick surface of the ramp down the face of the cliff.

I am Kopaka, he thought. I control the frost.

When the black-armored being that knew his name to be Onua awoke, he was stranded on a bare, sandy beach. The ground was flat and extended for miles along the shore; the sky was dwarfingly massive and cloudless, the sun staring down at his tiny shape amid the waves. Onua’s first instinct: get out of the light. He looked down at his hands - six fingers, each ending in a long, sharp, curved claw, made for pushing soil. He did what his mind demanded: he dug.

Now, Onua was many feet below the ground, his shovel-like claws carving out a tunnel through the ground, scooping dirt out from in front of himself and pushing it behind him. His weak, white eyes were well-adjusted for the dark, and he moved through the underground as though he was made to. In fact, he was made to. Aside from his own name, all that Onua knew was that he controlled the earth.

Two broad hands placed a stone atop a cairn. Carefully, it was adjusted, made to balance perfectly on its narrow end. The broad, brown mask of the one who knew his name to be Pohatu studied the stone, watched it sway gently as it attained balance. In one decisive movement, he pushed the top of the stone with one finger, tipping the entire stack to the ground. His mask, forged into the shape of a wicked grin, began to glow.

The fallen rocks of the cairn began to float slowly into the air, the effects of gravity disappearing. Pohatu reached out and manipulated them, sending them orbiting around his body as he crossed his legs and sat. He, too, began to float, closing his orange eyes and meditating. There were two thoughts in his mind: his name, and his purpose; Pohatu, who controlled the rocks.

A blue-armored warrior moved through the water, kicking with a regular rhythm, deftly swiping like a knife through the clear sea. Her yellow eyes scanned the seafloor, examining reefs, sea plants, and fish, who scattered in fear at her approach. The myriad telescopic lenses attached to her mask articulated, zooming, retracting, extending, examining independently all of the sights she consumed.

I am Gali, she thought, and I control the water. She mustered a current that pushed her forward, over a deep trench. Within, she could see monstrous marine reptiles, their sick eyes glowing in the dark of the water. She passed over, then turned upright, her mask inches from the surface. On the shore, she could see squat figures moving about, their armor the same shade of blue as her own.

For some time now, Lewa had been tracking a conspicuous quarry. He knew how to move through the jungle, unlike his brash target, who was out of place not only in the way he crashed, fell, and burned his way through the foliage, but also in the bright red armor he wore, making him stand out as much as Lewa thought possible.

Well, that, and all the fire, Lewa thought.

Indeed, as much time as Lewa had spent following the red-armored being he was tracking, he had also been attempting to extinguish the raging forest fires that his target was intent on starting. Whenever he encountered an obstacle, the fire-warrior would raise his sword, forged in the shape of a flame, and a fire would erupt, clearing his path. The being would step through, unharmed, while Lewa was left behind to extinguish it.

Lucky for me, I control the wind, Lewa thought, conjuring a gust powerful enough to choke the flames before they spread further.

Lewa didn’t know where his target was going; in fact, as he would come to find out, neither did Tahu. He wandered aimlessly, merely taking a path inward from where he awoke on the shore. It was by sheer coincidence that the spirit of Air had encountered Tahu and decided to tail him. He was beginning to wonder if he should stop the arsonist before he did any real damage.

I know what I shall do, Lewa thought, his bullet-shaped mask beginning to glow. I shall trap him. In a flash, he disappeared, moving at near-incomprehensible speed through the trees. He swung from vines, leaping from branch to branch, and eventually he crested the canopy, skipping along the tops of the trees. Once he had passed the red warrior at a distance he considered safe, he dropped back down to the ground, and began fashioning his trap.

Tahu was beginning to get frustrated. Where was he going? Why was he doing this? Where even was he?

When he awoke, he was on a beach. He was immensely weakened; he looked down at his body, and it was grey. He crawled along the sand until he encountered a mask. Its mouth was open wide in a yell of power, its eyes were set and stern. Its cheeks were lined with what looked like gills.

Donning the mask, Tahu felt power return to his body; he could finally stand and get a look at his surroundings. The color returned to his metal skin. One of the first things he saw was a sword embedded in the sand near where he woke up. Its crimson blade was shaped like a flame. When he grabbed it, the tip of the sword heated until the sand it was stuck in became glass, and then fully melted away.

He swiped the sword through the air, curls of flame erupting. I could get used to this, he thought.

Now, Tahu was using the mighty power of his sword - and his body - to cut his way through the jungle. He still was unsure of where he was going, but now, ahead, he heard a strange sound. A thick, repeating thud… thud… thud. Now he knew where he was going - he would see what made that noise.

Ahead, the jungle began to thin, and opened into a clearing. He thanked his luck that he found an area so easy to navigate. Stepping out into the warm sun, a smile spread behind Tahu’s mask.

Suddenly, the trees around him came crashing down. In an instant, he was boxed in by a prison made of fallen logs. Tahu roared in anger as his sword erupted into an inferno.

“Who goeth there?,” he yelled, his voice as yet unutilized.

Lewa heard the yell of the red warrior as his trap was sprung. Swinging his hatchet, he felled a final tree - this one aimed squarely for the red warrior’s form at the center of the clearing.

Tahu turned and saw a falling tree bearing down on him. Suddenly, before it could collide with him, his mask began to glow, and a translucent barrier appeared around him. The tree slammed into the sphere of energy, ripples spreading across its surface as the bark splintered and shattered, the entire tree reduced to woodchips in an instant. Tahu yelled again. “Show thyself, assailant!” He swung his sword now, setting fire to the walls that held him in.

A wind began to form. In fact, it was more than just a wind; in an instant, a gale was whipping through the clearing, buffeting Tahu until he fell to the dirt. his flames extinguishing under the pressure. Tahu fought to return to his feet, carving a gap through the logs with his sword that he could pass through.

Having now escaped the trap, he scanned the clearing, the gale still bearing down on him. He noticed movement in the treeline - a warrior in green camouflage moving between the trunks and bushes. Averting his eyes, Tahu planted his sword in the ground to steady himself against the wind. I’m being studied, he thought, grimacing. He tracked his attacker, who picked his way around the clearing’s edge. If I can wait, he will be downwind of me in but a moment. Then, I will make my counterattack.

Lewa, careful to keep himself just within the trees, moved around to where the red warrior now kneeled. The wind had felled him more than once at this point - not much longer until he would surrender. And then my jungle will be safe, Lewa thought with not the least bit of satisfaction.

He was close enough to study his features now. The red warrior’s mask was in the shape of a fearsome battle cry, an intense glare giving his face severity. Behind the mask, though, he was clearly in distress. His pink eyes were clenched with effort, his body tense. The end of his sword was buried in the ground to steady himself.

Thy flames shalt bend to the force of my winds, Lewa thought triumphantly, increasing the force of the gale. He saw a flash in the warrior’s eye - what was that?

All of a sudden, the warrior was up, his sword extracted from the soil, his entire body having made liftoff from the ground. He rode the wind, his foot outstretched, connecting squarely with Lewa’s chest and bowling him to the forest floor. The breath was knocked from his lungs.

“Speak thy name,” growled the red warrior, levelling his flaming sword at Lewa’s throat, boot planted firmly on his chest. “Perhaps I shall spare thee.”

Lewa, gasping and spluttering, raised the handle of his axe to cover his face. “Wait, wait!,” he managed, heaving for breath. The red one stepped back, removing his foot from Lewa’s chest. Lewa rolled over, propping himself on his elbows and knees, taking long, deep breaths. He began to stand, but the heat he suddenly felt at the back of his neck told him to stop.

“Stay. Who art thou? Wherefore hast thou attackedst me?”

Lewa raised his hands, palms open. “I don’t know thee. I merely wished to find out!”

“By killing me?”

“N-no, I-”

“Enough.” Another voice rang out, and both warriors’ attentions were drawn to the air above them.

Standing on a pillar of ice was a newcomer, one who looked like them except for the blinding white of his armor. He brandished a sword and a shield. His mask was wide and tall, octagonal, lined with vents.

“I know not either of ye, but I sense a kinship between us,” he continued. “Look upon our bodies; we are the same in construction.” He extended an arm, flexing his fingers, before swiping his sword through the air, sending a shower of snow over the two in the clearing. It sizzled and steamed when it touched the red one’s sword.

Lewa was allowed to stand as the red warrior withdrew his sword. The white one created a staircase of ice, which he walked down to enter the clearing.

“If I am correct, I believe thine experiences will be similar to mine,” the white one spoke as he approached Lewa and his quarry. He sheathed his sword and stowed his shield. “I know not whence I came, but I know my name - Kopaka. And I know that I control the frost, the ice, the snow, and the cold.”

The red one nodded. “I am Tahu,” he spoke. “I control the heat and flames.” His voice had softened.

“I am Lewa,” Lewa said. “I control the wind and air. And I believe that this is my home,” he said, gesturing to the trees around them. “Wherefore I attacked thee, Tahu.” He pointed an accusatory finger at the red-armored warrior.

Tahu opened his mouth to speak, but Kopaka intervened. “Allow the past to pass, Tahu. May I call thee brother?”

Tahu stayed silent. He glanced between Kopaka and Lewa.

“Then never mind.” Kopaka turned to face his pillar of ice, which was beginning to melt in the sun. “If none of us know wherefore we are here, then we mote discover the purpose. When I awoke, I climbed yonder mountains, and when I made that trek I saw a vast volcano. Perhaps that is thy home, Tahu. It would do thee good to seek it.”

Tahu nodded, stepping forward, placing a hand on Kopaka’s shoulder. “Thank thee,” he said after a long pause. “…Brother Kopaka.” He turned to Lewa and nodded, before walking off in the direction Kopaka indicated.

“Be careful!,” Lewa said, trailing him for a few steps. “Do not destroy my forest any further!”

But Tahu was gone. Lewa turned to Kopaka, who was reinforcing the ice walkway he had created.

“My home is in the mountains, amidst the ice and snow,” Kopaka said, without turning to look at Lewa. Thy home - I saw it, in this very jungle, as I was exploring.” Lewa raised an eyebrow behind his mask.

Kopaka, having mounted the steps, turned and stretched a hand out to Lewa. “Come with me,” he said. “I shall take thou thither. Just be careful not to slip.”

Chapter Two: The Legend
Gali was seated at the head of a long table, in the center of a low, domed hut fashioned from lily pads. When she had surfaced at the shore, she had startled the sailors who had taken a break on that beach from their patrol.

“Who art thou?,” she had asked, emerging from the water. “Where am I?” They brandished their tridents, Gali raising her hook-dagger.

After recovering from their initial shock, she was brought back to their home - the village of Ga-Koro, located in a vast bay. Waterfalls cascaded down the cliff faces, a rainbow perpetually carving through the spray. Ga-Koro itself was built atop floating lily pads, connected by various bridges and walkways. The homes were fashioned from plant material as well, with many of them having openings cut into the floor to afford access to the water.

When their boat landed, Gali was worshipped from the moment she stepped off. The short, blue-armored beings that lived there - the ones known as Matoran - prostrated themselves in front of her, bowing on either side as she walked onto the floating village. Gali looked between the rows of grovelling Matoran, and then up to the end of the bridge, where one who was clearly the elder stood.

Now, Gali was in the elder’s hut. She called herself Turaga Nokama. A few aides bustled about the single-room dwelling, serving fresh-caught fish and dried seaweed on carved wooden plates. Gali tasted the dishes, Nokama standing nearby, studying the warrior’s face.

“We have been waiting for you for a very long time, Toa Gali,” Nokama said, after some time.

“Toa,” Gali repeated, the word rolling out of her mouth smoothly and easily. “Toa Gali.”

Nokama nodded. Then, an expression of worry crossed her face. “Do you not remember?”

Gali paused, cocking her head. “Remember?”

“Oh, no…” Nokama shook her head, a hand going to her forehead. She crossed the room, leaning on her trident. “Kotu,” she called to a nearby Matoran, whose elliptical, ridged mask matched the Turaga’s own. “Please fetch Nixie,” she said quietly, putting a hand on the Matoran’s back and sending her off.

“What is the matter, Turaga?,” Gali asked, when the elder turned around.

“Gali, Your Majesty, I fear something has gone… amiss.”

Gali recoiled internally at the honorific. “What dost thou meanst?,” she spoke, after a short silence that felt very long indeed.

“Nixie will help me explain,” Nokama said, as the aforementioned Matoran entered the room.

Once the table was cleared, Nixie had unrolled a star chart drawn on a large leaf in black ink. Nokama spoke. “In the time before time, when our ancestors arrived on the island of Mata Nui, we were guaranteed the protection of the Great Spirit’s light.”

Gali’s eyes moved between the chart and the Turaga. Nokama seemed to be rapt, deep in concentration as she spoke. Beads of water appeared on the leaf, drawing together into the outline of what must have been the island.

“But the Great Spirit’s protection would not last. The shadow of the Makuta, which we prayed to be delivered from, was cast over our island home, and the Great Spirit was sent to sleep.” Nokama reached out and dropped a handful of black ash over the chart, scattering it into the watery shape of the island. “The Rahi turned on us, controlled by masks infected with shadow. What was once our safe haven became a land of constant danger.”

The shape of the island accreted into a sphere now, floating over the star chart.

“We called upon the Great Spirit to send us help - six heroes of legend, the Toa, avatars of the six elements, and messengers of the Great Spirit himself.” Six droplets of water appeared in the air around the central globe, and fell into it.

Gali’s eyes lit up. She smiled.

“Something has gone wrong, though,” Nokama said, her expression darkening.

“The stars foretold your arrival,” Nixie said, stepping up to the table, indicating six stars orbiting one illustrated in red. “But they foretold it many, many years ago.”

“How long were ye waiting?,” Gali asked, apprehensively.

There was a pause. Nokama spoke: “One hundred years.” She looked crestfallen.

Gali shot to her feet. “What?!” The chair she had sat in fell back.

“Toa Gali, Your Majesty, please!,” Nokama said, gesturing with her hands for Gali to calm down. The floating globe of water fell to the table, splattering over the three occupants of the hut.

“I cannot help but feel that I failed ye,” Gali spoke quietly.

“It wasn’t your fault,” Nokama reassured.

“It was the influence of the Makuta,” Nixie said, indicating a seemingly-unrelated set of stars. “The Great Spirit told us!”

“And it seems the Makuta stole your memories,” Nokama said, reaching up to touch Gali’s mask. The lenses focused as she looked down at Nokama. “You do not recall your mission at all?”

Gali shook her head, saying nothing.

Nokama turned, returning her focus to the water on the table. It re-coalesced, forming the shape of the island of Mata Nui once again.

“Scattered around our island, hidden long ago by heroes of old, are Great Masks of Power - Kanohi.” Six needle-thin pillars of water rose from disparate points on the map; then, nearly-innumerable more. “You and your five brothers must learn to control your elements, and collect these Masks of Power, in order to reach your full potential, and stop the Makuta.”

“But… I don’t know if I can,” Gali said.

“Not alone, you cannot,” Nokama said sharply, standing up straight and stamping the butt of her trident on the floor. “But together, united, you can.” The water rose again as a globe, slowly levitating towards Gali’s mask. It split now, into three smaller orbs.

“The Matoran hold three Virtues near and dear to their heartlights - Unity, Duty, and Destiny. You must learn the first two” - Gali reached out and touched the globes, absorbing the water into her hands - “before you unlock the third.”

“This is the way of the Bionicle,” Nixie spoke, the phrase having been long ago memorized.

“Our biological chronicle is written in the three Virtues, Gali,” Nokama nodded. “Now, perhaps, I should leave you to your Unity?”

Gali nodded, assured. She grabbed her hook-dagger from the table, and spun it in her hand. “How shall I begin, Turaga?,” she asked.

“You truly are as a new-built Matoran,” Nokama sighed, a tired smile spreading behind her mask. “You must seek out your brothers, and work together to collect your Masks of Power. Po-Koro, the village of Stone, is located in the desert to the north of here. Ta-Koro, the village of Fire, can be found south of here, at the foot of the volcano.”

Gali nodded. “I will not let thee down, my Turaga.” She took a knee and bowed.

“No need, Gali,” Nokama chuckled, raising a palm. “If anything, I owe a bow to you. You are our Lady of Water, in fact.” Nixie bowed, reverently and eagerly.

Gali stood, gaze moving between the two bowing figures. She simply left the hut, without saying a word.

The party in Le-Koro had gone on for hours. The village of Air, located high in the treetops, was a place of great mirth and joy, amplified many times by the foretold arrival of the hero of Air, Lewa. Green-armored Matoran dashed about, flying elaborate kites in various shapes, enacting a battle between Lewa and the forces of Makuta on the winds; a band played on the largest platform, suspended from the tallest tree; bird riders crossed overhead, skywriting with their contrails.

Lewa sat to one side of the party, leaning on his axe. Occasionally, a few Matoran would come by to bask in his awe, giggling excitedly at the sight of the green-armored Toa of Air. Lewa sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

“What’s the matter, Your Majesty?,” asked Turaga Matau as he approached. The old Matoran leaned on a long staff ending in a circular saw blade.

“What didst thou say the three Virtues were, Turaga?,” Lewa said, without turning to look at Matau.

“Unity-”

“Unity.”

Both were silent.

“Turaga, thou saidst that the only way to defeat the Makuta was through Unity.” Lewa hung his head. “I fear that my brothers and I may be too different to be United.”

“You are more United than you know, Lewa,” Matau said, stepping around in front of the Toa of Air. “At least, you will be.” Lewa looked up at him, defeat visible in his eyes.

“Our elements are opposed, Turaga. Tahu’s flames destroyed the jungle. My air extinguished his flame.”

Matau gave a soft chuckle. “Your elements are opposed when wielded as cudgels, as all things can be. What makes you Toa is your capacity to do good with your powers.”

Lewa tipped his head to one side.

“Look, Your Majesty.” Matau activated a hidden switch on his staff, spinning up the blade. Gently, he touched it to the green metal covering his arm, showering the wooden floor with sparks. One caught on the floor, smoldering, then openly burning. “Your winds may destroy a flame…” He raised his free hand, concentrating, and, with visible effort, he conjured a stiff breeze that all but extinguished the tiny flame, reducing it to a glowing orange spot on the floor.

“…But they may also feed it.” He clenched his hand into a fist, and the breeze calmed. The gentle puffs of air caused the ember to glow, then burn once more. Matau stomped on the flame once, eliminating it.

“You can destroy with Air, just as Tahu may destroy with Fire, or Kopaka with Ice. A gentle hand can move mountains without harming a soul. United, you can do even more.”

Lewa looked upon the ash that remained when Matau pulled his foot back. He nodded. Then, there was a silence between them, filled by the raucous celebration of the Matoran of Air.

“How shall I begin, Turaga?”

“Find your brothers, Lewa. And, perhaps, on the way, you can seek a Great Kanohi or two. Look here.” Matau led Lewa to one end of the suspended platform, where, inscribed on the floor, was a crude illustration of a mask.

The mask’s eyes were narrow and conniving, its forehead smooth and curved. Its face formed a beak-like point over the mouth, which was open in a wide, maniacal grin.

“This is the Kanohi Miru, Mask of Levitation,” Matau said, rapping the end of his staff against the illustration. “Your mask, the Kanohi Kakama, Mask of Speed, will help you reach its resting place in good time.”

“Where shall I look, Turaga?”

“This mask is the icon of your brother Pohatu, Toa of Stone. It can be found in the northern reaches of the Fau Swamp, near where the mountains of Ko-Wahi begin to rise. Claim the mask, and you will be able to levitate at will.”

Lewa nodded, crouching at the edge of the platform.

“You know how to use your Kanohi?”

Lewa nodded once more. The party had died down slightly, and the Matoran were now gathering to see their Toa off.

“Then go, Toa of Air, and save us from the Makuta!”

“Goodbye, my people! The next time ye see me, I shall carry Makuta’s shattered mask!”

There was a cheer, and Lewa leapt from the platform, his mask activating to carry him into the trees at dizzying, subsonic speed.

4 Likes

I love this. It is written well, and I really enjoy the Toa starting their journey without their characteristic masks.

2 Likes

Chapter Three: Unity

Lewa’s world unblurred when he reached the foothills of the Ko-Wahi mountains. He slowed just as his feet carried him halfway up a slope; he dug his axe hard into the side and hung there, surveying his surroundings.

The thick jungle spread east and west as far as the eye could see. In fact, it was about all the eye could see, facing south. From Lewa’s position to the horizon was an unbroken blanket of green. That is, until he looked to his right.

There, a circle seemed to have been cut out of the trees, exposing a particularly wet and deep area of the marsh. At its center was a massive, misshapen boulder, suspended in the air by a thick trunk of interwoven vines. Atop, a silver mask shone in the sun.

“There’s my mask,” Lewa said to himself, leaping from his position on the hill. Using his Kanohi Kakama, Mask of Speed, and his power over Air in concert, he was able to carry himself to the edge of the rock, pulling himself up on top of it.

“The Turaga sounded as if these would be difficult to find,” Lewa said, picking up the grinning Miru and placing it over his face. “If they’re all going to be this easy, we’ll be done before the week is up.” As the Miru found its place, it disappeared, being teleported to the suva shrine back in Le-Koro.

With that, Lewa felt a vibration beneath his feet. Looking down, he saw the stone beginning to turn, losing its balance atop the trunk that held it up.

“By the Great Spirit!,” Lewa shouted, as the rock began to slide to one side, threatening to tip him off and into the sucking mud of the swamp below. The bullet-shaped Kakama on his face began to shimmer; suddenly, it was gone, replaced by the Miru he had just picked up. It glowed green, lifting him slightly into the air as the stone now fully fell away, the trunk collapsing as the entire growth disappeared into the mud.

Summoning a gust to push him towards solid ground once more, Lewa thanked the Great Spirit he survived. Imagine if the Le-Matoran were without their Toa… oh, the victory of the Makuta!

Pohatu, wandering the mountain peaks, saw the scattering birds before he felt the tremor, and heard the sound: BOOM! The entire range seemed to shake. Pushing his powerful legs to a run, he came to a local peak and looked down into Le-Wahi: there, a massive stone was subsiding into the mud, and a green Toa stood on the shore of the swamp, looking at his handiwork.

Pohatu’s Kanohi Miru shimmered and changed shape, taking on the round form of a Kanohi Akaku, Mask of X-Ray Vision, adorned with the telescopic lenses typical to the mask. He zoomed in on the green Toa to get a closer look - he wore a Mask of Speed. Pohatu deactivated his mask, and the Miru returned to his face.

“Ahoy down there, Toa of Air!,” yelled Pohatu, cupping his hands to his mouth. The green Toa turned, waved, and then, in an instant, was in front of him. The green glow around his Kanohi Kakama faded.

“Greetings, Brother. I am Lewa, Toa of Air.” Lewa bowed, planting the head of his axe on the ground.

“Greetings, Lewa. I am Pohatu, Toa of Stone.” Pohatu returned the bow. “It seems destiny bade us meet.” He held out a fist.

Lewa brought his own fist forward and the two clanked. “Indeed, Brother Pohatu. How have thine adventures been on this island?”

“Fine indeed, brother. As thou canst surely see, I have collected mine Akaku, Great Mask of X-Ray Vision.” He quickly swapped his Miru for his Akaku, then returned to the Miru once more.

“Wonderful, brother! I have collected thy mask already.” Lewa’s mask became a green Miru, then returned to its natural Kakama shape.

“Then we are equals in this contest, eh?” Pohatu laughed heartily, giving Lewa a congenial slap on the back. “Ah, but look, even now our brothers are arriving!”

Pohatu pointed up - the white Toa, Kopaka, was sliding above them on a rail of ice, towards a valley in the mountains below them. There, a red Toa and a blue Toa were already waiting, standing around a huge temple.

Turaga Onewa described the temple to Pohatu before he departed Po-Koro. The Matoran called it Kini-Nui, simply the Great Temple, and it was the central site of worship for the Great Spirit.

At least, it was. When the Rahi attacked, spurred by the Makuta, the wilderness of Mata Nui became unsafe to travel in. Their first assault was on Kini-Nui, driving out the Matoran who stayed there to maintain it, and blocking the roads that could grant them access. In the hundred years since, the temple had fallen into extreme disrepair.

From where he stood, Pohatu could see one of its six spires had completely toppled over. The spires ringed a circular central platform, with the Suva-Kaita at the center, the island’s main shrine to the Great Spirit. The Suva-Kaita, a low dome with six elliptical cutouts spaced evenly around its surface, seemed mostly unharmed, if covered by a hundred years’ worth of dirt and overgrowth. The top had broken off of one of the spires; another was leaning at a precarious angle.

“Come, Lewa. Let us meet our brethren below.” Hooking his arm in Lewa’s, Pohatu led his brother down into the valley to meet the other Toa.

Tahu was starting to become impatient. If Vakama had wanted him to come to the Kini-Nui, he could have just sent him to the Kini-Nui. With the arrival of what was now four other Toa to the temple, he considered it obvious that the Turaga had conspired to send them all here so they could meet.

Along the way, Tahu had picked up a Kanohi, one that he doubted would be at all useful to him: the Great Ruru, Mask of Night Vision. This mask was the icon of Onua, the Toa of Earth, the only one who had not yet shown his face at the meeting.

Toa Kopaka alighted on the platform and approached Tahu. “Brother Tahu.”

Tahu simply nodded.

Kopaka turned to Gali. “Sister Gali.”

“Thou mote be Kopaka,” she said, the lenses on her mask focusing on him. She leaned against one of the spires, arms crossed, hook-dagger clearly visible tucked under one arm.

“Indeed,” Kopaka nodded. “And hither approach brothers Pohatu and Lewa.”

The two were coming up the stairs now, Pohatu waving jovially and Lewa tripping on one of the broken steps.

“So that, then, makes five,” Tahu said, stepping out to the center, putting a hand on the Suva-Kaita. “Leave it to the one who buries his head in the dirt to arrive at this meeting late, hm?”

None spoke. Gali huffed. Kopaka shifted his weight between his feet.

“Onua is wise beyond his years,” Pohatu said, after a short time. “If he hath a reason to be late, it mote be a good one.”

“And besides,” Kopaka pointed out. “I don’t believe we were given a specific time to meet here.”

Tahu grunted, turning now to sit on the domed surface of the Suva-Kaita. Pohatu sat next to him, crossing his legs.

“Well, if we’re waiting,” Tahu began, “how about I astonish ye with some displays of elemental might?” He stood, clutching the handle of his sword with both hands, aiming it into the sky and letting loose a blast of flame.

The fire shot into the sky, tracing out the shape of the Kanohi Hau, Mask of Shielding, that Tahu wore. The image of the Hau blazed in the sky, then fizzled out.

Tahu, grinning behind his mask, looked across the faces of his brethren. None seemed especially impressed.

“Nothing? Well, if any of ye can do better, show me.” He dropped his sword and roughly sat back down on the Suva-Kaita.

After a short silence, Pohatu stood. “Watch this, brother.” Concentrating, he waved his hands in the air, until a hefty stone about a foot across levitated through the air towards him. He let it drop to the ground with a thud.

“In Po-Koro, my people play a sport they call Koli. Thou takest a ball, just like this…” He gave it a powerful kick, sending it flying, arcing upwards into the air. “And kick it into the goal!”

“I could kick a ball, brother,” Tahu sneered.

“Couldst thou dost this?” Pohatu squatted, activating his Mask of Levitation, and then leapt, shooting high into the air towards the still-careening rock. Altering his flight path with the mask, he found himself on the other side of it. Another kick sent it back towards the Kini-Nui.

Tahu saw the stone flying straight for his mask. He ducked, raising his hands to protect himself, but the strike didn’t come. When he opened his eyes, it was floating, motionless, in the air in front of him.

Pohatu landed on the platform again. Kopaka shook his head as Lewa laughed, Gali covering her mouth to hide a snicker at Tahu’s expense.

“Alright, that’s enough, all of ye!,” shouted a deep voice from the ground below.

All five Toa turned to see a sixth, the black Toa of Earth, Onua, approaching up the steps, shaking soil loose from his shoulders.

“The Turaga sought to teach us Unity! And what did I find upon my arrival to our meeting but two of mine own brothers, competing to see who is more powerful?”

Tahu, feeling the fire start to burn inside him, strode over to Onua and thrust a hand into his chest. “Look who decided to show up! Maybe if thou didst arrive on time, we wouldn’t have resorted to contests!”

Onua slapped Tahu’s hand down. “If thou cannot prevent thyself from flaunting the powers the Great Spirit granted you, then thou mote learn thy Duty, brother.”

“Speak not to me of Duty if thou cannot be relied upon!,” Tahu yelled, inches from Onua’s mask. With that, he activated his Kanohi Hau, projecting a forcefield around himself which flung Onua backward down the steps.

Onua shouted in protest, his mask changing to the bullet-shape of Lewa’s: a Kakama, Mask of Speed. Just as his feet touched the ground, he rushed forward, slamming into Tahu’s shield and sending him flying backwards, over the Suva-Kaita, and into one of the spires.

In fact, the spire that Tahu collided with was the very one that Pohatu had identified as leaning at a precarious angle. When Tahu impacted it, it tipped further to one side, and then fully collapsed, smashing into an adjacent spire, which careened into the next, continuing around until only one still stood.

All the Toa were shocked. Gazes moved between Onua, panting and looking about in regret, and Tahu, slowly picking his battered form up off the ground.

Tahu finally managed to stand, grabbing his sword and charging at Onua again.

“This hath gone far enough!,” Kopaka said, stepping in between them, raising his arms to stop Tahu. A shackle of ice encased his torso, and he fell over again.

“Onua was right! The Turaga spoke to us about Unity!,” Kopaka said sternly.

“We can use our elements to fight,” Lewa spoke up, “but we can use them to create, as well.”

Kopaka turned to look at Lewa.

“A powerful gust of wind may suffocate a fire, but it may also feed it,” Lewa elaborated, borrowing the words of his Turaga from hours before. Raising one hand, he summoned a wind which blew over Tahu. The Toa of Fire took a deep breath, feeling strength returning to his limbs.

“Ice may freeze Water, but what is Ice without it?,” Lewa continued, pointing at Kopaka, then Gali. “And indeed, Water may erode the Stone or the Earth, but both carry the Water as it moves. Water can extinguish Fire, but Fire is what creates Water from Ice.”

Kopaka was taken aback at the newfound wisdom of the Toa of Air. “…Very well said, Toa Lewa,” Kopaka said, crossing to shake Lewa’s hand. “So it seems we all have something to learn from our brother.”

Lewa smiled gratefully at Kopaka, who nodded, his face neutral.

“We’re here to search for our masks,” said Gali, who was leaning on the only remaining spire of Kini-Nui. “Shall we split up? Form search teams?”

Tahu stood again, brushing himself off. “I think I’d like to search on my own, thank thee.” He turned to leave.

“Not so fast, Toa of Fire,” Kopaka said, manifesting a wall of ice in front of him. “Thou wilt be accompanied.”

Tahu, fuming, returned to the Suva-Kaita.

“Have we each collected one mask?” Kopaka looked at his brothers and sister.

Tahu showed his Kanohi Ruru, Mask of Night Vision. Lewa had obtained a Kanohi Miru, Mask of Levitation. Pohatu had found a Kanohi Akaku, Mask of X-Ray Vision. Gali had claimed a Kanohi Pakari, Mask of Strength, like Kopaka’s. Onua held a Kanohi Kakama, Mask of Speed. Kopaka had located a Kanohi Hau, Mask of Shielding, on his way to the meeting.

“Then let us form our groups. Lewa, thou shouldst accompany Tahu.”

Tahu and Lewa exchanged a tense glance, eyes narrowed.

“Let it be a learning experience,” Kopaka smiled. “Pohatu and Onua should travel together. I will go with sister Gali.”

There was an exchange of greetings and farewells amongst the Toa, and then the three pairs formed.

“Search the island for as many masks as ye can find,” Kopaka said, looking between Pohatu and Onua and Lewa and Tahu. “We shall return hither in one week.” The Toa of Ice pointed west, towards the setting sun.

“I will be waiting for thine arrival, Toa of Ice,” Tahu sneered. “I shall possess all twelve Kanohi.”

“Thou boastest, but I will require proof of thine ability before I am impressed,” Kopaka chuckled. “Go now, my brothers. Return in seven days!”

As the three teams parted, an earthquake shook the temple grounds. The Toa fell to their knees, gripping the loose stone bricks of the ground for support.

“What is happening?,” Lewa yelled. Onua and Pohatu focused their elemental energies into the ground to stabilize it.

“‘Tis the Makuta,” Onua grumbled. “We can’t stop it!”

The ground began to split now, around the Kini-Nui, a deep fissure opening in a circle around it until it was an island of stability in the midst of a chasm of jagged rocks. Clouds began gathering in the now-nighttime sky, flashes of lightning revealing an illusory mask suspended above the temple grounds. The Makuta’s voice echoed all around them.

“Do not return here, Toa. Do not return…”

Harsh winds began to whip through the valley, holding the Toa down to the ground.

“The Great Spirit must remain asleep… the prophecy must be fulfilled…”

Tahu fought to sit upright, and pointed his sword at the illusion. A jet of flame lanced forth, passing through the mask.

“You cannot destroy me…”

Tahu yelled with the effort, the light of the flame illuminating the shadowy mask. A spout of water appeared, sizzling into steam where it met Tahu’s flame.

Tahu looked down at Gali, who was focusing her water through the hook-dagger.

“What art thou doing?!,” he shouted over the roar of the storm.

“Focus thy elemental energies!,” she responded to the assembled Toa. “Create Light!”

Kopaka took the hint, shooting a lance of ice into the maelstrom. Pohatu, Onua, and then Lewa sent their own elements into the storm, until a point of light appeared behind the mask.

“I am an illusion, you fools… You cannot destroy me…”

The light shone brighter and brighter, until suddenly, the storm dissipated, having vanished in an instant as if it were never there.

The Toa released their elemental attacks, and the light vanished. Where the beams met, a clear crystal had formed, and it fell from the sky to the floor of the temple. Kopaka was there to pick it up.

“This is crystal protodermis,” Onua said, approaching. “The Onu-Matoran extract it from the bottom of the Great Mine.”

“Then perhaps thou shouldst bring it to thy Turaga, Onua,” Kopaka said, handing the tiny crystal to the Toa of Earth. “If ye use crystal protodermis, then an alternate source would surely be useful.”

Onua nodded, clutching the crystal in his claws. “Thank thee, brother. I shall.”

The Toa granted one another farewell again, and the teams set off, using their elements to cross the chasms created by the Makuta’s attack.

Kopaka and Gali proceeded north, into Ko-Wahi, the land of Ice.

“Which mask dost thou hope to find first, sister?”, Kopaka asked as they trudged through a snowdrift.

Gali was quiet, the lenses of her Akaku simply focusing on the distant peaks.

“…Sister?”

“Kaukau,” she finally said. “Water Breathing.”

Kopaka nodded, looking forward. The Kaukau was the chosen mask of Whenua, Turaga of Onu-Koro, useful for navigating flooded mines. Coupled with the natural night vision of an Onu-Matoran, Whenua was well-suited as prospector for the village’s mining operations.

“I see one,” Gali said, breaking the silence that was between them, and startling the Toa of Ice.

“A Kaukau?,” Kopaka asked, stopping.

She nodded, and continued forward. Her Mask of X-Ray Vision glowed with a deep blue light. “‘Tis deep beneath this mountain. We’ll need to find a way inside."

2 Likes

I love this. You have such an excellent style. The story is simply amazing to read.

2 Likes

Thank you for the high praise! More will be coming every Friday for the foreseeable future. I have a plot outline ready to go that will sustain this for awhile

3 Likes

Chapter Four: Out of Water

Kopaka and Gali were descending into a long, winding cave, which led deep down beneath the surface of the island.

Neither Toa had the ability to generate any light on their own, aside from that which emanated from their eyes and heartlights. They felt along the walls, which were smooth-cut rock, for their path.

“Art thou sure this was the correct cave, sister?,” Kopaka spoke after some time, his voice reverberating in the tight cave.

“Certainly. I saw it with mine own mask. Besides, what cave hath walls as smooth as these?,” Gali said, hand sliding along the curved, smooth wall. “No natural erosion did this.”

“So thou thinkst the Turaga created this tunnel?”

Someone mote have. As a challenge for us.”

Kopaka pondered Gali’s words.

“Turaga Nokama told me that these Kanohi were hidden by ‘heroes of old’ - they were definitely expecting us.”

With that, the walls of the tunnel seemed to fall away, and the reverberations of their speech and footsteps turned to echoes. They had entered a large, pitch-dark chamber, which neither Toa could estimate the size of.

“There could be anything in here,” Kopaka said, dropping to his knees to feel the stone floor, looking for pits or pressure plates.

Gali took a step forward. “Mine Akaku provideth no assistance. ‘Tis too dark to see.”

“Then this mote be the challenge,” Kopaka said, standing. “Without a Kanohi Ruru, or the natural night vision of Toa Onua, we mote cross this chamber to reach the mask on the other side.”

Gali nodded, though Kopaka couldn’t see it. What he could hear was the sound of her mechanical actuators whirring, moving her neck as she did nod, and causing the various lenses of her Kanohi Akaku to telescope in and out. Wracking his brain, Kopaka knelt, tracing the corner where the floor met the wall with the tip of his sword.

“Follow me, sister Gali,” Kopaka said, continuing to move along the edge of the chamber.

The two shuffled along, backs against the wall, as they moved deeper into the darkness.

“Thou might thinkst this place a domain of the Makuta,” Gali said, shattering the silence and startling the Toa of Ice. He caught his breath.

“Verily,” Kopaka replied. “I’ve never seen such a shadow.”

There was another silence, again broken by Gali, but Kopaka was not startled a second time.

“I’m sorry, my brother,” she said.

“Wherefore?”

“‘Tis… ‘tis Toaship.” She drew her hook-dagger and clashed it against the wall, creating a momentary shower of sparks. Kopaka’s white Mask of Strength lit up, and they could see about a foot in front of them before the light vanished. “I feel as though I’m being crushed.”

Kopaka was rapt, to the point that he did not notice his sword losing contact with the floor. He took another step and tumbled over the edge of a pit. He yelled out.

Gali deftly snatched his ankle, dropping her hook-dagger and pulling Kopaka back to the floor.

“Careful, Toa of Ice,” she said as he regained his footing. “Thou wert nearly lost.”

Kopaka panted. “Mine apologies, sister,” he said between breaths, the terror subsiding. “What… what wert thou saying? About thy Toaship?”

He could see her shake her head in the dark, her yellow eyes moving side-to-side. “I can hardly… ‘tis just so much. The Matoran call me ‘Majesty,’ wait upon me hand and foot, and for what? They say I trained many hundreds of years for this moment, but what worth is that when I’ve forgotten it?” There was a metallic clank as she buried her face in her hands.

“Sister,” Kopaka began, reaching out to place an arm around her shoulders. “Thou dost not struggle alone. We have our Unity - indeed, all of us have forgotten our origin. The people of Ko-Koro call me a god, but I remember not a time when I was. But look where we are!” He raised his arm up into the shadow that surrounded them. “We are training again, now!”

Gali looked up, making eye contact with Kopaka in the dark.

“This trial was designed for us,” the Toa of Ice continued. “If we were able to train for it, then we mote be able to figure it out ourselves, now.”

The two were quiet, contemplating their situation.

“Thou saidst that night vision was the key,” Gali pondered. “But we don’t have that. What we do have is our elements.”

“But we can’t see where we’re aiming them,” Kopaka replied dejectedly, casting his shield to the floor and sitting upon it.

“Thou canst not, but I can,” Gali said. “Thine element is like mine - reach out from within, and feel the humidity.”

Kopaka extended his elemental sense. He could not sense the humidity that Gali alluded to - though, now that he was trying, he was feeling something. It was as if he wore a fabric robe, and it brushed against every wall of the chamber they were in.

“I feel something,” Kopaka said, half-entranced by the effort. “I feel the cold.”

“Thou hast it!,” Gali said, excitement bubbling into her voice. “We can feel through our elements… the shape of the air mass in this room is traced by humidity… it extendeth not past the walls and floors.”

Kopaka returned to his feet, grabbing up his shield and returning it to its storage on his back. The Toa of Ice closed his eyes, and willed the shape of the chamber to come into focus within his mind’s eye, in the part of his mind that controlled his elemental affinity.

He saw it now: a spatial negative of the hemispherical chamber came into sharp relief, formed in patterns of cold and frost. This far below the surface, little light penetrated, and the same went for its twin, heat; the frozen clarity of the open chamber was permeated only by the breath and body of Toa Gali. In front of him, he could see the pitfall that nearly ended his time on the island.

“Follow me, brother,” Gali said, leading the Toa of Ice to the center of the room, where a bridge spanned the pit. Kopaka could see all the way to the bottom of the pit, where indeterminate shapes littered the floor.

“Dost thou see down there, sister?,” Kopaka asked, as the two slowly negotiated the narrow bridge.

“Try not to think about them,” Gali merely said. The weight was starting to return, despite her brother’s reassurance.

Finally having crossed the pit, the two Toa came across an altar that held three masks: two Kanohi Ruru, and a Kanohi Kaukau.

“‘Tis like it was set here for us specifically,” Kopaka said, taking one of the Ruru and donning it. The mask glowed a pale blue, and he thanked the Great Spirit for the opportunity to finally see again.

Gali gave a concurring grunt as she claimed first the Kanohi Kaukau, Mask of Water Breathing, then the Kanohi Ruru, Mask of Night Vision. Her mask glowed a deeper blue, and the two finally were able to see one another after what felt like an eternity in the dark.

After taking in the sight of one another, both found themselves looking at the walls: what had felt to the blind eye like smooth stone panels revealed themselves to be the carapaces of hundreds of dormant Rahi, clinging to the walls by their claws as they slept. They fit together in complex, tightly-packed patterns, and each one easily dwarfed Kopaka and Gali together.

“By the Great Spirit,” Gali cursed under her breath.

“‘Tis alright, sister. Now that we can see, we can make faster time on our escape. Come, quickly!” Kopaka jogged towards the bridge.

“Brother, stop!,” Gali called. Her warning came too late.

Kopaka’s steady, sure footfalls were much louder than his previous ones - exercising extreme caution and laden with nervousness. In addition, he was running. The echoes of his steps reached the cavern walls, and the shelled Rahi began to stir, clattering their hulking carapaces against one another.

Kopaka skidded to a stop ahead of the bridge. The crabs were moving now, making their way down the walls and onto the floor. Their eyes were covered by a mask each: black, pitted, and scarred with rust. They bore the infectious shadow of the Makuta.

“Sister, behind me!,” Kopaka called out. Seeing no sense in delaying the inevitable now, Gali ran to meet Kopaka, and stood back-to-back, brandishing her hook-dagger at the steadily-approaching crabs.

“This is only another part of the trial,” Kopaka said, trying to reassure both Gali and himself in equal measures. “We are ready for this!”

One of the crabs moved into striking distance. Kopaka lunged with his sword, but the beast caught it in a claw and wrenched it aside.

“Use thy Kanohi!,” Gali called. Her mask was no longer the Kanohi Ruru - instead, she wore her previously-claimed Kanohi Pakari, Mask of Strength. It glowed brightly as she brought her hook-dagger’s pointed end down hard on a crab, prying one infected mask free from its eye. The mask flew across the floor before falling into the pit beneath the bridge.

The half-demasked crab began to spasm wildly, its claws flying out at odd angles. With a punch, it knocked the masks off the eyes of one of its comrades, which retreated quickly into the recesses of the chamber.

“Kopaka!,” Gali called over the sound of hundreds of crabs screeching in hunger. “Aim for their masks!”

The Toa of Ice was locked in combat with two crabs, fending one off with his shield while occupying another with his sword. His Pakari was active, allowing him to take their attacks in stride, but, without the Mask of Night Vision, all he could see was a sea of glowing yellow dots - eyes. He focused on the cold in the chamber and attempted to make a mental map once more of his whereabouts, and the whereabouts of his attackers.

A claw connected with the back of his head, sprawling him to the floor. His cold sense showed him the bottom of the pit he was now peering into: broken bodies lay strewn about in unnatural positions, both Matoran and Rahi. This was the price of the trial - the lives of so many other heroes that had come before.

Activating his Kanohi again, Kopaka kicked out behind him before returning to his feet, swiping with his sword at the crab he had just dazed. Two quick jabs dislodged its masks.

“There’s too many of them!,” Kopaka yelled. “We mote retreat!”

They fought their way backwards onto the bridge, letting loose blasts of their elements made to stun and disable the Rahi. Kopaka looked down again and perceived the shattered remnants of the infected masks they had cast into the pit.

“It’s no use, Kopaka, they’re coming from both sides!” Gali’s back pressed against Kopaka’s as they stood at the center of the bridge.

Suddenly, the Toa of Ice had an epiphany. “Sister, didst thou collect a Mask of Water Breathing?”

“I did,” Gali affirmed, switching her Pakari for the aforementioned Kaukau.

“Activate it. Fill the room with water! I’ll hold off the crabs.”

“Art thou sure, Kopaka?,” Gali asked, manifesting streams of water from her palms.

“Just do it! We will be able to swim to safety!”

“What about thee, brother?”

“I’ll hold my breath. Just go!”

Gali stayed silent, but Kopaka imagined she had nodded. He heard the sound of the water increasing in pressure, the spouts flowing from Gali’s palms crashing with greater force into the floor below.

In the meantime, he activated his Pakari once more, closing his eyes to let the cold sense take over. He leapt from one side of the bridge to the other, passing over Gali, fending off crabs from the left just as they overtook the right, returning to one side just as he dealt with the other. It was extremely tiring, but the Mask of Strength afforded him the will to continue.

He could feel the water lapping at his feet now, the bridge beginning to get swamped. He could tell the crabs were getting put off by the strange sensation - they seemed to stagger about in confusion, unsure whether to advance or retreat. One scuttled forward before sinking like a stone into the water-filled pit.

Gali’s waters were flowing at a much faster rate now, and her eyes were shut with the effort. The level quickly rose past Kopaka’s ankles, then to his knees. When they were waist-deep, the crabs fully backed away, though the Toa was unsure whether this was due to fear or intelligent judgment. Trying not to concern himself with whether they understood more than it seemed, Kopaka began creating a sphere of ice around himself to keep the water out. Gali could breathe; he could not.

Soon, her head went under. Kopaka could barely see through the thick ice, but he could make out the flashing of her heartlight, then the blue glow of her Mask of Water Breathing. He cheered inwardly at their success.

Once the chamber was mostly full, Gali opened her eyes, then swam to the snowball floating above her. She knocked on it once to beckon the Toa inside, and made for the chamber exit. Kopaka broke through, the icy sphere filling with water, but held his breath, clutching Gali’s ankle as she swam.

2 Likes

Chapter Five: Like a Rock

Some time after departing the Kini-Nui, Toa Pohatu and Toa Onua found themselves travelling the Po-Wahi desert in search of masks. While one might ordinarily think the two to be fast friends, what with the similarity between their elements, they found there was little they could agree on.

The first day or so was spent travelling underground, something Pohatu was entirely unused to. His eyes were adapted for harsh sun, and his mask was made to afford him easy view of the sweeping horizon. In Onu-Wahi, the sprawling network of caves that crisscrossed Mata Nui’s underground, there was nowhere to levitate.

Onua was finally convinced to accompany the Toa of Stone to the surface, but not without much protestation. While Pohatu was well-adapted for the dunes, Onua was well-adapted to travel beneath them, and the bright sun seemed to sear his eyes as they surfaced. He squinted, lifting a hand over his face to shield himself from the sun.

“If we were unable to find Kanohi underground, what maketh thee thinkst that we should fare better above?,” Onua grumbled as they crested one of the dunes, slipping slightly as it fell away beneath his feet.

“Call it mine intuition, brother,” Pohatu said, fighting to keep the venom out of his voice. Putting his hands together, his Kanohi Miru began to glow, and he began to float into the sky over the desert, scanning the horizon.

Onua’s face began to ache from the squinting. His Kanohi Ruru afforded him no help here, only useful in the sheer-darkness of the caverns. He considered his other option - a Kanohi Kakama, Mask of Speed.

‘Tis a shame the Great Spirit never created a Mask of Day Vision, he mused, unable to even look up and track Pohatu’s position.

The Toa of Stone alighted below them. “There’s a building of some kind to the east. If thou would like, we may establish a camp and wait for the sun to be behind us.”

“‘Twould be well appreciated,” Onua mumbled, raising his arms and conjuring a shield hill to surround them. “Thou mayst move on ahead if thou wishst. I will remain.”

Pohatu grimly looked back and forth between the Toa of Earth, shrouded by a wall of soil, and the tiny sandstone dot in the distance that he was sure represented a mask. He shrugged, if only to himself, as the Toa of Earth sat with his eyes shut.

Making his decision, Pohatu began the trek towards the building on the horizon. The Toa of Earth would have to forgive him - he was growing too impatient to wait anymore. I know that the mask we seek is there, he thought to himself.

When Onua opened his eyes, the sun had set fully. He didn’t mean to fall asleep, it just sort of happened. He’d gone a couple days now without any of it and the rest came easily and was much appreciated, especially given the scorching heat of the desert. He was used to the cool underground.

Regaining his faculties, he sat bolt upright. Pohatu! The Toa of Earth stood and ran to the exit of his earthen hovel, and into the cold desert night, his feet slipping on the dry, fine sand.

He activated his Kanohi Ruru, causing it to glow a deep green. He could see all the way to the horizon now, spotting a point of orange light between his position and what seemed to be a temple in the distance.

Brother Pohatu hath convinced himself that the way to the mask is in yonder temple. But wherefore hath he spent so long on the trek?

Onua scraped his claws together to sharpen them, and began digging.

Pohatu had been walking for quite a long time. It seemed like it had been hours since he had made any progress. The sun had gone down and the mask’s hiding place looked to be more or less the same distance from him as when he started.

Pohatu was built for the desert. His feet were broader than that of the other Toa, affording him greater traction on the fine sand. His skin was both well-ventilated and -insulated, keeping him cool in the day and warm at night. But he was getting tired out, more than he was used to.

Pohatu did not remember much, but he knew his own limits. The exhaustion that was setting into his muscles now was like nothing his body had ever experienced; he moved more and more sluggishly with each step, but his eyes remained fully open. He was tired, but not sleepy.

And yet, the more he pushed himself to move, the further the temple seemed to be, as if it was a great Rahi dragging itself through the sand at the same rate that he moved.

Maybe that’s the trial here, Pohatu thought. Catch up to that Rahi!

With his next step, the ground began to shake. The sand was tossed around and kicked into the air, like a sandstorm forming around the Toa of Stone. He raised his arms to cover his face from the buffeting sand.

A hole appeared in the ground in front of Pohatu. The force of the quaking threw him to the ground in front of it. Out came the head and shoulders of the Toa of Earth.

“Brother Pohatu! Something is wrong, we mote beat a retreat.”

“What dost thou meanst, Brother?”

Onua reached out, grabbing the dazed Pohatu’s wrist, and pulled him into the tunnel he had dug.

“Brother, wait, let me go!,” Pohatu protested, trying to yank his arm free of Onua’s grasp. The Toa of Earth’s approach had been much too sudden, and Pohatu was still disoriented from the fall. He felt the strength returning to his muscles, though, as he was pulled into the tunnel.

“What art thou thinking?,” Pohatu exclaimed, struggling to his feet in the tunnel. Onua had already turned and was walking back the way the tunnel had came.

“Look here, brother,” Onua said, gesturing to one wall of the tunnel, where it made a sharp turn. The Toa of Stone cautiously approached, but saw nothing out of the ordinary in the clay and sand.

“I follow not, brother,” Pohatu said nonchalantly. “I have not thine elemental sense of Earth.”

“Then I shall paint thee a picture,” Onua said. “An enchantment hath been placed upon this earth. I can feel it in the ground, see its magic coursing through the clay. An invisible labyrinth separateth us from the mask. Wert thou able to approach the temple?”

Pohatu glanced between the wall and the Toa of Earth. Behind him, the tunnel twisted and wound around the various enchanted walls of the maze. “Nay,” he said, shaking his head, putting a palm to the forehead of his mask. “‘Twas an experience unlike anything I’ve yet seen.”

“The enchantment sapped thine energy,” Onua nodded, hand to the wall. “From underground, we will be able to reach the temple without tripping the labyrinth’s walls. Follow me.”

To Pohatu, the path that Onua carved through the ground seemed to be more or less random. The Toa of Earth would make sudden pivots and turns at a moment’s notice, curving around seemingly blindly. He wasn’t going to criticize his methods, though, if Onua was able to get the pair closer to the temple.

Eventually, Onua came to a sudden stop, Pohatu slamming into his back. “‘Tis here,” he said gruffly, scraping at the ceiling with his claws. “Thou mightst want to stand back.” Before Pohatu had a chance, Onua broke through the ceiling of the tunnel, bringing a shower of clay and sand down onto them both.

The Toa of Earth surfaced first, noting the impending sunrise. A few moments later, Pohatu extricated himself from the shower of rubble, scraping clay from out between the pistons in his limbs. “A word of warning next time, perhaps?,” he called after Onua, but there was no response. Instead, Onua had already entered the doorway of the temple, the gate itself standing resolutely shut.

Moving his hands about the door, Onua looked for purchase. “No, nothing,” he muttered. He tried to push his claws beneath - no avail there either.

“Having trouble getting inside, brother?,” Pohatu asked as he approached, pieces of dirt falling away from his armor. He placed his hands against the stone door and began to focus his elemental energies - it failed to budge.

“It seemeth this door is not stone,” Onua said, sitting down on the brick floor of the entryway. He gave another halfhearted scrape with his claws - it failed to leave even the slightest mark.

Pohatu nodded, again focusing his elemental energies to little avail. “It mote be protodermis,” Pohatu guessed.

“No, this is protodermis,” indicated Onua, producing the crystal formed the day before by the combined efforts of the Toa.

Pohatu looked between the door and the crystal. At that moment, the sun peeked over the horizon, casting a light against the door. A ray passed through the dark crystal, diverting into six colored bands that touched the door. Both Toa were taken by surprise.

The first beam, red, caught a fire against the door. The second beam, orange, seemed to batter the door with heavy force, creating cracks in its surface. The third beam, yellow, spread a film of frost over the door. The fourth, green, caused the door to begin to shake in its frame. The fifth, blue, caused condensation to appear, eroding the carvings on its face. The sixth, purple, sent another shock through the door, finally causing it to crumble away into dust, which shimmered in the light before vanishing.

Pohatu blinked. Onua rose to his feet.

“Well, I suppose we’re in,” Pohatu said. Onua walked in after him.

The interior of the temple was a single massive, pitch-black chamber, the ray of sunlight doing little to illuminate it and fading fast as the sun rose.

“I see no mask here,” Onua said, a tone of resentment rising in his voice.

“Trust me, brother, we are in the right place,” Pohatu said, raising a hand in a gesture of calm. The two stepped forward to the center, where a waist-height plinth rose.

“Canst thou see?,” Onua asked.

“Nay,” Pohatu said, reflexively shaking his head.

“There is a recess on this pedestal,” Onua said, again drawing the piece of crystal protodermis out. As if propelled by a force outside himself, he placed the crystal into the niche, where it fit instantly.

In an instant, a point of light appeared in the ceiling, shining directly down onto the crystal. The pedestal began to recede into the floor, but the crystal remained floating into the air, suspended by some sort of magic. The light was rising in the room; Pohatu could now see the crystal floating higher into the air, and the six beams of light reappearing, spreading onto the floor before them.

The elemental rainbow, as it appeared, landed on a series of six further crystals, illuminating them and filling the chamber with a prismatic glow. Pohatu could see Onua now, who was deactivating his Mask of Night Vision. The crystals embedded in the floor funnelled the light through a series of channels in the ground, carrying it to six massive, crystalline portraits of the Toa themselves.

“What is this place?,” Pohatu asked in awe.

Onua stepped forward towards the portrait that depicted himself. As he did so, a panel beneath the portrait opened, revealing a mask within: a Kanohi Hau, Mask of Shielding.

Pohatu, witnessing this, hastily moved towards his portrait, which revealed to him a Kanohi Kakama, Mask of Speed.

“Whoever put this temple here expected us,” he murmured, lifting the Kakama and placing it over his mask.

He turned to see Onua, Kanohi Hau in one hand, facing the center of the chamber: a statue had appeared where the pedestal once was, in the shape of a Toa like themselves, one arm raised to hold the no-longer-floating protodermis crystal. Its face, at first glance, was maskless, but further inspection revealed a fragment of a golden mask attached to its face.

Pohatu was the first to retrieve the fragment. He cast a confused look at the Toa of Earth.

“Methinks we should bring this to thy Turaga,” Onua grunted.

2 Likes

Chapter Six: Feeding the Flame

Tahu was becoming very annoyed with the Toa of Air.

Lewa had, since the two had left, been intent on patching up the shred of relationship they had, after the affair of the burning forest and the incident at Kini-Nui. Tahu had mostly wanted to strike out on his own in search of Kanohi, and he wasn’t going to bother himself with whether or not he was being followed.

The entire way, Lewa had been trying to converse with Tahu, directing his attention to innumerable diversions and distractions, in the hopes that one of them would lead them to a Kanohi. He was certain that a couple of the mysterious emplacements they had passed did indeed hold a mask, but Tahu would not stop for anything, it seemed.

For some time, they had walked through the jungle - eventually, Tahu tired of this, and began leading Lewa up into the mountains. They skirted the base of the Mangai, the volcano at the center of the island, smoking ominously. The Toa of Fire reached out a hand, a piece of ash falling into his palm.

Green slowly began returning to the land as they moved down the northern side of the volcano. They had entered Ta-Wahi - the land of Fire.

“If there is anyone on this island who knoweth the location of a Kanohi,” Tahu said, “‘twould be Turaga Vakama.” Lewa said nothing.

Tahu led the two up a crag overlooking a wide crevasse. Peering down, Lewa saw a river of lava, and, upon an island in the center, a vast fortress.

“Ta-Koro,” Tahu said. “Wilt thou be waiting here?”

Lewa looked between the Toa of Fire and the city below, estimating the width of the jump. As he opened his mouth to respond, Tahu leapt, letting loose a blast of flame from his feet to carry himself further. The powerful pistons in his legs imparted just enough force to cause him to land on the rampart of one of the city’s perimeter walls.

As he did, several red-armored Matoran suddenly swarmed him, bowing down and offering their staves. Tahu chuckled, Lewa alighting behind him.

“Meet the Ta-Matoran, Toa of Air,” Tahu said, turning to look over his shoulder. “They give me the respect I deserve.”

Lewa’s expression grew indignant. He had heard of the reverential treatment the Matoran of other Koro gave their Toa, but he didn’t expect it to be like this. In Le-Koro, Lewa was not just the patron of Air, but the patron of music and festivity. He was the superior of the Le-Matoran in the way that the host of a party was the superior of its attendees. Here, Tahu was a god.

The throng of Matoran parted and Tahu was granted egress to the ground level. Lewa followed, noting the quizzical looks from the Ta-Matoran he passed. The crowd closed behind them, following the two Toa down to Ta-Koro’s main street, past the Ta-Suva, and finally to the door of Turaga Vakama.

“Toa Tahu,” Vakama said, bowing deeply as the pair approached. “Ah, but who is this? You must be Lewa, Toa of Air.” Vakama bowed once more, offering his firestaff to Lewa.

Looking about awkwardly, Lewa placed a hand on the firestaff and gently pushed it back to the Turaga of Fire. Vakama stood, casting a sidelong glance at the Toa of Air before speaking directly to Tahu. “What brings you back to our fair city of Ta-Koro, Your Majesty?”

“My brother and I are searching for Kanohi,” Tahu said. “I believed that perhaps thou mightst know of a place to find some.”

“Indeed I do, Your Majesty. Follow me.” Vakama started off in the direction opposite the city’s gate. “Toa Lewa, do follow.”

Turaga Vakama led the two Toa to a cavernous tunnel built into the southwestern wall of the city, disappearing down into the ground. “This is the highway to Onu-Koro, the village of Earth,” Vakama said, indicating the entrance with his firestaff. “Many Kanohi may be found within, but I know the location of two in particular.”

Producing a stone tablet from within his robe, Vakama used the hot end of his firestaff to etch a map into its surface. The tunnels of Onu-Wahi were weblike and winding. He indicated with an icon the location of Ta-Koro, and with another the location of Onu-Koro, before illustrating the hiding place of the masks the two Toa sought.

“A dangerous Rahi lives within these caverns, Toa,” Vakama warned, his voice taking on an ominous register. “Your test will be to best it in order to reach the Kanohi.”

Tahu eagerly snatched up the tablet, giving it a glance over before handing it to the Toa of Air. “What kind of Rahi is it, Turaga?,” he asked.

“A very smart and cunning one, Toa of Fire,” Vakama replied. “Both of you must be on your highest guard. If you do not keep your wits about you, you will be lost… in more ways than one.”

As they traversed the tunnel, Tahu did not wait long for Lewa. Using the Mask of Night Vision he had previously maligned, he was making good time in the low light of the tunnel. Both he and Lewa were adapted for brighter climes; Tahu himself was outfitted to handle the bright light of flames and lava, while Lewa’s eyes were built for sunlight, like Pohatu’s.

The Toa of Air stumbled through the dark behind Tahu, the way lit occasionally by sparse torches, only some of which were actually lit. Tahu certainly did not care to stop and light any he noticed to be out, if he noticed them at all.

In the light of one of the torches, Lewa studied the map that the Turaga gave them. “Tahu, this doesn’t look right,” he stammered, the figure of the Toa of Fire receding in the distance.

“Just try to keep up, brother,” Tahu growled over his shoulder. “I know where I am going.”

Using his Mask of Speed to catch up, Lewa caught Tahu’s arm. The Toa of Fire yanked his arm out of Lewa’s grasp.

“What in Mata Nui’s name art thou doing?,” he yelled, arm raised in shock. “Keep back.”

Lewa shrunk back at Tahu’s aggression. The Toa of Fire paused for a moment, grabbing the map from Lewa, before stalking down the tunnel once more.

“I know whither we are going,” Tahu said, voice lowered. “Just follow me.”

Keeping a distance between them, Lewa followed Tahu through the tunnels, taking forks, turns, and curves as they came. A not-insignificant time later, they came to a junction, Lewa running into Tahu’s back when the latter suddenly stopped.

Dazed briefly, Lewa spoke. “Well?” He peered over Tahu’s shoulder at the map. The Toa of Fire stood stock-still.

“I…” Tahu stammered. “‘Tis…”

“Tahu?,” Lewa asked, worry creeping into his voice.

“A moment, please, brother,” Tahu said, raising a hand, bringing the map closer to his face. “There are… more tunnels here than expected.”

“Brother, let me see the map,” Lewa said, voice now alarmed. Tahu handed the tablet to him - he was right. None of the intersections on the map looked like this one: five tunnels connecting to a central circular chamber. He saw a circle with three exits, one with four, but not one with five. There was no way indicated that they could have left this region, either: all roads led to Onu-Koro eventually, and none took them out of the map’s purview.

“W-well we have to go down one,” Lewa said, peering down each of the tunnels in turn. “Even if we come out empty-handed, we need to get out.”

“Dost thou have an Akaku yet?,” Tahu asked, mask quickly switching between Ruru and Hau. “Perhaps thou couldst see the route?”

Lewa shook his head, Kakama turning to Miru briefly.

Tahu cursed in the name of the Great Spirit. “Then we’ll have to do it randomly,” he said, bracing himself to walk into one tunnel. Holding his sword in front of him, he willed it to erupt in flame, and forged ahead into the darkness.

Tahu and Lewa went on like this for some time. The map had proven entirely useless now, and had been discarded a while ago; they had found themselves in a completely uncharted network of tunnels. On Lewa’s suggestion, they attempted to retrace their steps, but the path seemed to have changed behind them.

“There were six exits in this room before,” Lewa said, “but now there are only three! We’re doomed!” Lewa put his hands to his mask.

“The directions they face have changed, too,” Tahu noted, pointing that they all now sat on the left side of the room. “We’re being led.”

Lewa behind him, Tahu stepped into one of the two tunnels on their left. It led downward into another chamber - this time, with no exits.

“Alright, I have had enough of this,” Tahu growled, slashing the air with his sword. A crescent of flame billowed through the air, licking the walls and ceiling of the room. A bioquake followed, one that shook both Toa to the ground.

“Tahu!,” Lewa yelled, throwing his hands out to catch himself. Both pulled themselves to their feet. “I think I know what’s happening!”

Before Tahu could speak, Lewa unlimbered his axe and swung it hard into the wall. The blade impacted the stone, but there were no sparks - instead, the axe sunk into the stone as if it were flesh. Another bioquake shook the cave, accompanied by what sounded like a far-off Rahi roar.

“This is the Rahi,” Lewa said, “the one that thy Turaga warned us about! Its power is illusion!”

Tahu nodded, swinging his sword once again, bathing the wall of the chamber in fire. The roar sounded once more, the bioquake coming again with even more power, throwing both Toa toward the exit of the room.

“Keep attacking!,” Lewa yelled over the din. As his axe impacted the wall again, jets of flame shot from Tahu’s hands, scorching the chamber. The roars increased with intensity, and both Toa found themselves being physically pulled to the exit by an unseen force.

Suddenly, they were thrown. Their bodies shot through the air, following a route of escape through the maze they had just traversed. Both landed on the ground in a chamber that felt as if it were miles away, Lewa on top of Tahu. They scrambled to stand, Tahu relighting his sword in the darkness.

The doorway they had just come from appeared to be shimmering and melting. An inky, black form was stretched over it, and it collapsed to the ground, attempting to slink away quietly. It wore a piece of gold like a shell. A flame bolt dispatched it quickly.

“How dost thou think it created that maze in such a small space?,” Lewa asked, indicating the chamber it was guarding - a small room, no larger than a Matoran hut, in which two Kanohi were waiting: a Kanohi Ruru, and a Kanohi Akaku.

“I know not,” Tahu replied, “but methinks it had something to do with this.” He picked up the golden fragment the slimy Rahi had taken as a shell. It resembled a piece of a Kanohi, with an eyehole, a wide cheek, and part of a mouth, open in a toothed grimace.

Lewa beheld the golden Kanohi fragment while Tahu entered the mask chamber, putting on the Akaku found within. He returned with the Ruru, placing it in Lewa’s hand.

As they left, both Toa activated their Ruru to help light the way. The illusory Rahi had given up not only the Kanohi fragment when it was incinerated, but also the map previously discarded, and the two used it to navigate back to the surface.

“At this rate, we’ll have our masks before the week is up,” Tahu said, nudging Lewa gently with his elbow. The Toa of Air nodded, but remained silent.

Tahu sighed. “Brother Lewa, I… I mote apologize.” He spoke haltingly, emotion in his voice that was not there before.

Lewa turned his green eyes to Tahu inquisitively.

“I’ve been a fool, and I’ve disregarded the three Virtues. I believed that I needed not the assistance of my brothers to find my Kanohi. I have treated you with disrespect.”

“Brother, it’s alright-”

“No, it isn’t,” Tahu said, sighing again. “Thou helpedst me against that Rahi. My anger clouded mine eyes. I am sorry.”

Lewa nodded. “I forgive thee, brother.”

2 Likes

Chapter Seven: Reunity

Tahu and Lewa were the first to reach the Kini-Nui on the appointed day of reunion. The sun was coming up as they mounted the steps, each one bearing a complement of eight masks.

“Let’s see brother Kopaka top this!,” Tahu exclaimed, bumping fists with Lewa. The two had bonded quite a bit since their departure together, which went a long way towards healing Lewa’s worries regarding the team’s unity. Tahu was still as abrasive as ever, but his flames had cooled with respect to his brother. He was not as quick to leap to anger.

Both Toa had used Kanohi Miru to cross the fissure separating Kini-Nui from terra firma; now, they could see Toa Pohatu and Toa Onua collaborating to build a bridge across the pit. Pohatu waved as they approached, Onua already shielding his eyes from the rising sun.

Gali and Kopaka arrived last, after the sun had fully crested the horizon. Kopaka’s ice bridge carried them across.

“Hail, Toa of Ice and Water,” Tahu said, a smug smirk behind his mask. “Last to arrive!”

“Cool thyself, Toa of Fire,” Kopaka said, raising his shield apprehensively.

“No need, friends. I am perfectly cool.”

Kopaka approached Tahu cautiously, Gali crossing past the Suva-Kaita to meet with her brothers. Tahu extended a fist; Kopaka bumped it.

“Toa Lewa taught me much about friendship - brotherhood - Unity. I appreciate thine efforts, Toa Kopaka, to keep this team United.”

Kopaka smiled at Tahu. Then, he raised his arms. “Attention, brothers and sister! We have all returned from our individual adventures. How many of us have claimed all of our Kanohi?”

None raised a hand.

“Then there is still work to be done,” Kopaka said. “I expected this - I am not disappointed. How many have ye claimed?”

“Eight!,” Lewa spoke up.

“Seven,” Pohatu said, casting a playful glance at Lewa.

“Sister Gali and I have obtained nine,” Kopaka said, grinning at Tahu, who lit a spark between his fingers, sitting on the Suva-Kaita. “But no matter, for it was no contest.”

Tahu stood. “So, shall we split up again? Search for our Kanohi in pairs? Teams of three? Alone, perhaps?”

“Not so fast, brother Tahu,” Pohatu said, stepping forward to the Suva. “I have a question for the team.”

Both Tahu and Kopaka looked to the Toa of Stone, who produced a piece of gold - a fragment of a Kanohi. “Have ye seen anything like this before, brothers?”

Recognition crossed the eyes of the assembled Toa. Tahu produced the piece that he had found in Onu-Wahi with Lewa; Gali showed a piece that she had found with Kopaka atop the waterfall over Ga-Koro.

“These look like pieces of a Kanohi,” Pohatu said, examining the golden fragments, laid atop the Suva-Kaita. “In fact, it looketh like…” Seeming to move on their own, his arms reached out, taking two of the pieces and fitting them together. Golden light shone forth, emanating from the crack in the mask and sealing the pieces together.

There was a stunned silence. Pohatu frantically looked back and forth between the assembled Toa.

The three pieces had come together to form a mask, the right half of it. Its cheek formed a wide, sweeping crescent; its mouth was open, with a heavy set lip and a pair of sharp fangs. It seemed to have two parallel fins atop its forehead; one was missing. The most striking feature of the mask is that it was obviously at least two or three times the size of the masks that the Toa themselves wore, as if it were created for a much larger being.

“This mask is particularly… monstrous,” Gali said, studying it. “Where did ye say ye came across your pieces?”

“Lewa and I found ours in Onu-Wahi,” Tahu said.

“Ours was at a temple in Po-Wahi,” Pohatu nodded. “In fact, ye should come with Onua and I to’t. There is a mask there for each of ye.”

The Toa formed a new plan: they would go to Po-Wahi and visit the temple where Onua and Pohatu had found their fragment of the mask, and retrieve the Kanohi that were waiting there for them. The Toa of Stone led the way as they left.

Lewa was at the rear of the group, walking alongside Gali.

“Sister,” he said. “Dost thou thinkst this mask is part of our lesson in Unity?”

“I know not, brother,” she said, spinning her hook-dagger in her hand. “The Turaga never spoke about a broken Kanohi.”

3 Likes

Chapter Eight: Onitu

Onitu was terrified.

He did not know where he was, or where he was going, or how long he had been running for. His lungs burned, his muscles felt like they had turned to lead. With slowing, wobbling steps, his body was carried across beaches of ice, through crags and deserts, and around the base of a volcano. He watched an army of enslaved Matoran shamble past him, in the direction he had come. Did he dare look over his shoulder?

In an instant, he was, the landscape having fallen away, showing him only the horrible sight from which he was running, suspended in a black void. Six beings gathered around a golden light - one red, one green, one blue, one white, one brown, one black. They conversed; they squabbled one moment, got along the next. The golden light revealed itself to be a mask, which they each held in one hand.

Sharing the grip of the mask, each one of the six figures pulled and yanked at it, vying for control, until it broke apart in their hands. A shadow rose from the broken pieces of the mask, reaching out and enveloping each of them, until its burning red gaze alighted on Onitu. Its arm extended, hand opening, claws bared, reaching for the Matoran.

Onitu shot upright with the speed of a pouncing Muaka. He threw the thin fiber blanket off of his body and leapt out of bed, racing to the window of his Ta-Koro hut. In the street, he saw Toa Tahu walking towards Turaga Vakama’s chamber beneath the Guard fortress.

Onitu, an unseen voice called to him. Onitu…

“W-who’s there?,” he stammered, his throat dry. “What do you want?”

I am here to protect you, Onitu. All is not as it seems.

“What is happening?” He fell onto his bottom, cowering in the corner of his hut. Shadows flitted across the open doorway, cast by the torches in the street.

You are having prophetic dreams, Onitu. The Great Spirit is talking through you.

He tried to scream out for the Turaga, or Toa Tahu, somebody, but no sound came.

Do not scream, Onitu. You are in danger. Follow me.

The shadows at the door had coalesced into a tall figure, cast against the wall opposite Onitu’s hut. It beckoned, moving towards Vakama’s home.

The Ta-Matoran scrambled out of his hut to follow the shadow, moving through side streets, tailing Toa Tahu all the while. The moons were high in the dark sky.

“Where are you taking me?,” Onitu asked, though he feared he knew the answer.

Dark works are afoot in Ta-Koro, Onitu, the voice murmured. The shadowy shape splayed on the street in front of him gestured at Vakama’s window. He heard voices inside.

“You WHAT?!” Vakama was yelling. Onitu cowered at the sound; he knew it very well. “By the Great Spirit, Toa Tahu, you are playing with forces outside of your control! Call off the other Toa!”

“Turaga-”

“Enough, Tahu. I have heard enough! Give me the mask.” Onitu heard the metallic clink of Vakama’s glove snatching what must have been the mask in question. He shrunk back from the window, looking back and forth between the figure projected on Vakama’s wall and the windowsill above him.

From where he crouched, Onitu was afforded a view of the top of Vakama’s shelf, where the relics of many a past adventure were kept. Ancient tablets of an origin beyond himself, tools, masks, carvings, and there, at the top, a fragment of gold. Vakama’s hand appeared, holding a gargantuan mask, leaving it on the top shelf alongside the fragment.

“If the other Toa will not listen, I will accompany you, Tahu.” He spat the Toa’s name in anger, without the formality of “Your Majesty” that both Onitu and Tahu were accustomed to. Onitu peered over the sill, praying to the Great Spirit that his blue mask would not stand out; lucky for him, both Vakama and Tahu had turned, and were leaving the fort.

Onitu pulled himself through the window and into Vakama’s chamber. “The Makuta is toying with you even now, Tahu,” Vakama said, voice softening but still eliding the Toa of Fire’s title. Their voices disappeared before long; Onitu could not make out the rest of their conversation.

The Ta-Matoran paused for a moment. The shadow on the wall had entered Vakama’s chamber, making the light of the Sacred Flame within flicker and dim.

The mask, Onitu. Quickly!

Onitu hesitated. “Vakama was warning Toa Tahu about it…”

This is the Makuta’s influence… The shadow’s arms reached for the pieces of the mask on the shelf, but were unable to grasp it. The Toa need the mask, Onitu! Retrieve it!

The Ta-Matoran approached the shelf. He thought back to his dream - with the mask shattered, the Makuta was free to attack the Toa. With it whole, they were United.

Yes, Onitu, the voice said, reading his mind. This mask is the key to the defeat of the Makuta!

Using the various shelves as hand- and footholds, Onitu scaled the wall, knocking over various treasures and artifacts as he reached for the pieces of the mask. He slipped once or twice going up, at one point sending a stone portrait of a Kanohi Mahiki to the floor, where it shattered into nine pieces.

Onitu hadn’t done this much work with his arms in a while. Even when he was a lava farmer, he didn’t have to move the equivalent weight of his entire body. He felt sort of sorry for himself, unable to do a pull-up without effort.

Finally, after a monumental reach, his fingers brushed against the mask atop the shelf.

Yes, Onitu! Take it! There is no time to waste, we must find the Toa!

His hand slipped, sending the mask plummeting to the floor the same way the image of the Mahiki had fallen. It, too, shattered into three component pieces.

There is no time, Onitu. Grab the other piece and go! The shadowy figure had moved to the doorway. There was stirring in the streets; the Ta-Koro Guard were coming to investigate the noise.

Pushing the fourth piece off of the shelf, Onitu jumped down to the floor, taking the shock hard in his heels. He scrambled to retrieve the three pieces of the mask.

The window, Onitu, the voice said, before the shadow dissipated and the light of the Sacred Flame grew to its normal brightness. The Ta-Matoran clambered up onto the windowsill just as the Guardsman entered the chamber.

“Hey!,” he yelled. “Who goes there?!”

Onitu jumped out of the window to the street, and started off down an alley.

“Stop! Hey!,” the voice of the Guardsman called out after him.

Onitu ran down the back alleys and side streets, not stopping at his home, but instead beelining for one of the auxiliary exits to Ta-Koro. The Guard was already raising an alarm.

“Oh, Mata Nui, what am I doing?,” he wondered aloud as he reached an intersection. Ahead of him, he could see Guardsmen rushing through the street to Vakama’s house.

The Makuta has taken over even the Guard, the voice mused. Quickly, to the gate!

Onitu turned right and soon came to the northern gate of Ta-Koro. It stood wide, the portcullis raised. The guard positions had been abandoned, in fact, due to the disturbance at Vakama’s chamber.

Across the bridge that spanned the lava river, Onitu could see the shadow, standing against the rocky walls of the ravine.

Cross, Onitu! There is no time to waste!

“Stop right there! Drop it!”

Onitu did not obey the orders. Clutching the fragments of the mask tightly under his arm, he dashed across the bridge, which began to lower into the lava.

He yelled. They were retracting the bridge! He saw the shadow watching him from the other side.

There is nothing more I can do, Onitu, the voice said.

Letting instinct take over, Onitu came to a split-second stop, leaned back, and jumped, pushing off from the stone bridge with all his might. He seemed to hang in the air for an eternity, the cliff on the other side growing no closer.

Then, his fingertips brushed it. Digging in hard, Onitu struggled to pull himself up on the other side. Coming to a stand, he allowed himself a moment of self-congratulation.

It wouldn’t last long - the bridge began to raise again, the Guards realizing the error of their choice. Onitu cast his glance back and forth - there, to the left, the shadow had retreated.

Come, Onitu, the voice said. There is much to be done.

2 Likes

Chapter Nine: A Warning

Despite his age, Turaga Vakama made very good time to Po-Koro, Tahu thought. He had refused to let Tahu carry him and use his Mask of Speed - in fact, he had refused to let Tahu lead at all. It wasn’t an important matter, though, as the Turaga’s speed was enough that Tahu found himself having trouble keeping up.

They reached the gate of Po-Koro by sunrise. “Onewa!,” Vakama yelled, the volume of his voice exceeding what his wizened frame suggested. “Onewa! Come out here!”

Generally, Po-Matoran rose early, to begin work on both athletic training regimens and monumental sculpture projects. There was already a stirring in the market square of the town when Vakama and Tahu entered, and the general excitement was increased by the unexpected arrival.

“Onewa!,” Vakama yelled. “I need to speak with you now!”

Pohatu was the first to exit Onewa’s hut, crouching under the door and stretching himself up to his full height. He opened his mouth to speak and greet the Toa and Turaga of Fire, but he closed it upon seeing the anger in the Turaga’s face.

Onewa followed, leaning on his hammer-staff. “Turaga Vakama,” he rasped, “to what do I owe this pleasure?” His face behind his mask featured a sardonic grin.

“Into the hut, carver,” Vakama said, walking past the Turaga of Stone without much more acknowledgment.

Onewa chuckled under his breath. “Toa Pohatu, Your Majesty, please accompany Toa Tahu out into Po-Wahi. As I recall, neither of you have collected your full complement of Kanohi? Perhaps you will find more. Vakama and I will find you once our conference has concluded.”

Pohatu nodded an assent to Onewa. “Good morning, Toa Tahu,” the Toa of Stone said once they were alone.

“Good morning, brother,” Tahu replied, bumping Pohatu’s fist. “Although I fear ‘tis anything but. That mask… the Turaga is very upset.”

“The broken Kanohi? Why?”

“I know not. Vakama said ‘twas the work of the Makuta.”

Pohatu pondered for a moment, hand to chin. “Hast thou obtainedst a Kanohi Huna, brother?”

Tahu nodded, instantly understanding Pohatu’s plan. The two donned their Kanohi Huna - Masks of Concealment - and vanished, leaving only their long shadows in the sunrise.

Pohatu leading, Tahu tripping over his own invisible feet, the two Toa maneuvered quietly to Onewa’s door, pressing their backs to the wall on either side.

“This is not what the agreement meant!,” Vakama was saying as the Toa approached. “You built a temple to it?! Leave it to a carver.”

“That’s enough blame from you, fire-spitter,” came the response. “If we had just told them about the mask, we likely wouldn’t be in this situation! But no, it’s always games, vagueness, and secrets with you!”

“What the Toa do not know cannot hurt them,” Vakama said sternly.

“And you expected them to just leave alone something they did not understand? They’re like new-built Matoran out there! Send them on a quest to find lost masks and they will find lost masks. Even the ones you did not want found.”

“Enough, carver. We are being listened to.”

Both Tahu and Pohatu felt their hearts jump into their throats.

“You may come out now, Toa Tahu and Toa Pohatu.”

Defeatedly, Tahu and Pohatu deactivated their Kanohi Huna, standing in the doorway.

“Step inside, Toa,” Onewa beckoned. “We have much to discuss.”

Even now, Onitu, the shadow of the Makuta spreads across Mata Nui. You must seek the Toa of Ice…

Onitu shrunk back from the shadow as it stalked along the wall in front of him. Since his escape from Ta-Koro, he had moved up into the foothills of the Mangai, and sheltered in a cave until the morning came. With his Ta-Matoran sense, he was able to build a small fire, and the shadows it cast coalesced into the figure from which he assumed the voice must be emanating.

Despite its assistance, Onitu was terrified of the thing. If it was correct, and Mata Nui was already in grave danger, the responsibility rested squarely on him now. And why me?, he thought.

There is something special about you, Onitu, the voice reassured, once more reading his thoughts. You have the prophesied ability, the favor of the Great Spirit…

Onitu looked between the shadow on the wall and the four fragments of the mask in his hands. Taking two of the pieces, he manipulated them, turning them about until they fit together. Golden light shone from the crack as they fused.

The light played across the wall, illuminating the shadow. There was a horrible shriek in Onitu’s mind: the sound of pain. Startled, he jumped backwards, dropping the pieces to the floor. They broke apart again.

My apologies, little one, the voice hissed. I merely did not expect the light. I am a being of shadow, after all… There was a laugh.

Remaining silent, casting a wary glance at the hunched-over figure of the shadow, Onitu returned to the mask pieces, fitting them together once more. In short order, he had assembled what was about two thirds of a mask: the right cheek, half the mouth, and the eyes and forehead. He hefted the wide mask in two hands as he stood.

“What do I need to do?,” he asked, thinking back on the shadow’s words.

Find the Toa of Ice, the voice advised, along the slopes of Mount Ihu. I will not be able to accompany you, but I will be there in spirit.

Shielding his eyes from the sun, Onitu crawled from the cavern, standing upright on the stony mountainside. He stood at the easternmost reach of the mountains of Ko-Wahi, the cold air stinging his face behind his Kanohi.

Practically crawling, Onitu pulled himself up the mountainside, setting out in search of Kopaka amidst the drifts.

“That mask is the locus of the Makuta’s power,” Vakama spoke, slamming a fist down on the carving table in Onewa’s hut. Tahu and Pohatu crouched on the side opposite the Turaga of Fire and Stone.

“I did not want it to come to this,” Vakama sighed. “Not so soon at least.”

“You can’t mean what I think you mean,” Onewa said, stunned.

“Save it, carver. Toa Tahu, Toa Pohatu… you are not the first Toa.” There was defeat in Vakama’s voice.

Pohatu and Tahu exchanged a worried glance. Vakama continued.

“There was a time when the Turaga of Mata Nui… myself, Onewa here, Nokama, Whenua, Nuju, Matau… We were Toa ourselves. We once rescued the Matoran from the shadow of the Makuta… but he returned.” Vakama’s voice was constricted, heavy, laden with horror and regret. “It was by the power of the very mask you six are now trying to recreate!” He reached out and thumped Tahu’s chest with the back of his hand.

“We combined our powers to create Light, and a cage of protodermis to trap the Makuta,” Onewa continued for Vakama. “Somehow, he escaped, and met us when we arrived to this island.”

“It was a terrible battle, but we managed to subdue him, and confiscated the mask, sealing him within the Mangaia, his fortress beneath the volcano. The six of us broke up the mask, and agreed to hide the pieces, such that the Makuta may never find it. It seems some of us don’t quite understand the meaning of ‘hide.’”

“Hey, you can’t blame me. You said it yourself,” Onewa smiled smugly, “I’m a carver.”

Vakama growled, stepping towards Onewa with a raised fist, before dropping it and turning back to the Toa. “You must seek out the other Toa, and stop them from collecting the other pieces of the mask. It will be less safe, but I can take them into my care in Ta-Koro.

“Toa Pohatu, if you would please use your Kanohi Kakama to find them. Toa Tahu… please accompany me back to Ta-Koro.” Vakama hung his head. “I will have some letters to write to the other Turaga.”

Goodbyes were shared between the Turaga and the Toa, and Tahu and Vakama set out on foot back to Ta-Koro. Vakama allowed Tahu to carry him with the aid of the Kanohi Kakama.

Author's note

Starting to get discouraged from posting the story here any longer. Don’t want to sound like I’m holding it captive, but if I don’t get more engagement I’m just going to post it on AO3 and stop mirroring here. It’s a lot of effort for a return of like, 1-2 views per chapter. Thanks for reading if you have, and maybe hop over to AO3 and bookmark if you want reminders. New chapters drop every Friday.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that you aren’t getting as much feedback. It’s a great story, and I’d be sorry if you stopped posting it here! Please keep posting new chapters!

2 Likes

Wanted to post a little update here: the plot twist has arrived. You can read the fic over at Archive of Our Own: BIONICLE: Another Chronicle - Chapter 1 - kdnx - Bionicle - All Media Types [Archive of Our Own]

2 Likes