Anti-Climatic moments

6 Likes

I’d just like to take a second to say that Tropes Are Tools/Tropes Are Not Bad. A lot of anticlimaxes are just the result of writers being lazy, but they aren’t always bad, and can be used to great effect.

“The War of the Worlds” is a classic example–it drives home the point that, while mankind is limited in understanding, nature is amazingly complex and has a way of sorting things out on its own.

This is a bit more controversial, but I LOVED the anticlimactic Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3. It fit with the lighthearted tone of the movie and set the actual plot in motion. Plus, the marketing campaign set up the Mandarin as this impossibly awesome villain–it was a great subversion of expectations.

Not many people will know what I’m talking about, but the anticlimax at the beginning of season 6 of Deep Space Nine, when Sisko convinces the Prophets to destroy the Dominion fleet, is also pretty good in my estimation. It was a good moment of character development for Sisko (finally accepting his role as the Emissary), and it came at a price later on, so it wasn’t a deus ex machina.

1 Like

Right, because the plot needs to go into motion around the end of the film. Any good writer knows that.

(If the plot is set in motion at the END of the film, you have a bad sign.)

This is Iron Man’s arch-nemesis we’re talking about. Spider-Man had Green Goblin, X-Men have Magneto, Thor has Loki. But they completely trashed Iron Man’s arch-nemesis.

Anyways, the twist still doesn’t add anything to the plot anyways. I guess Mandarin isn’t the real threat? The viewer already knew that Killian was the antagonist. Sure, I guess it was a twist, but at the same time they trashed a villain with so much potential.

Anyways, that’s my two cents. I don’t think Iron Man 3 was a good film, anyways.

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. Obviously the plot had been going for quite awhile, but the twist was what lead to the climax by cluing Tony and Rhodey in that they were barking up the wrong tree, in hilarious fashion.

I would argue that they can do whatever the heck they want with the characters…the movies often make a point of not sticking too close to the comics. It would get boring if they kept everything predictable. Plus, the Marvel universe isn’t exactly short on villains, and (if they were to be really accurate to the comics) the whole magic rings thing wouldn’t really fit the tone of the other Iron Man movies. Lastly, I’d much rather Marvel take risks that sometimes are polarizing than play everything safe like DC seems to with their movies.

Sure it does! It actually fits really well with Killian’s preferred mode of operations (getting other people to do his dirty work). And, as mentioned, it gets the heroes on the correct path to defeating Killian.

Right, but the characters didn’t.

Eh, to each his own. It wasn’t my absolute favorite, but I liked it. :slight_smile:

Btw, have you seen the “Hail To the King” short movie from the IM3 blu ray? It heavily implies that the real Mandarin is still out there…

1 Like

I am a little less passionate than @Chronicler seems to be but I still think it was a little depressing to see such a unique marvel character go through such a change. I wont nag you about it more.

2 Likes

Heard of it, and it makes me hope that the Real Mandarin shows up in Phase 4 and totally kicks some butt. Because of his rings, he could be the next threat after Thanos.

2 Likes

off topic, but are they making more avengers movies after Infinity war?

The end of Bionicle G1.
I hit him with a rock!

“It was a big rock…”

7 Likes

Basically every scene in the TBS show Wrecked.

Sailor moon R’s first arc in which the bad guys basically apologize and leave.

Honestly aside from some funny moments Sailor Moon R’s first arc sucked.

The ending to the Journey to One it was very very anti-climatic.

2 Likes

The End of Fallout 4.

The end of Predacons Rising.

FTFY

post must be five charaters.

Does Christmas count?

2 Likes

Me: “Do you want to watch some anime?”

Pot8o: “Sure”

Proceeds to watch 50 trashposts

I haven’t played Fossil Fighters since I was like, eight, but taking the dinosaur lady with me to fight three alien brain things seemed pretty cool back then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno why but that scared the heck out of me for whatever reason way back then; that whole fight. It was a fun game back then, but I find it incredibly boring now.
(Woo getting older)

1 Like