Are original Lego themes dying out?

Whatever. As I said earlier I did not mean to start an argument, and it’s just my opinion that the sets are a little bland in comparison to each other which may have let the line sell worse than others. Also I suppose my argument about comparing the characters to the vehicles wasn’t really the best argument, so sorry. Usually in Lego themes the sets are so unique compared to each other, I was sort of hoping for the same with Nexo knights, and imo the Nexo knights sets are a little bland.

I ask that you back that up, because I can point to a dozen+ lines that are the same as nexo knights.

Ninjago, power miners, space police, bionicle, city, hero factory, and elves to name a few.

You mean the ones that have similar colors, similar designs, and don’t have character based color schemes?

You mean constraction lines that don’t even have many vehicles?

2 Likes

Each of those themes do have original and unique designs for each set. And Payinku never mentioned vehicles when he asked me for examples. Regardless it’s just my opinion that Nexo knights sets are a little bland compared to each other. If you disagree with me fine. That’s your opinion.

Then following that logic Nexo Knights has just as unique and creative designs.

In a discussion about vehicles, it’s assumed examples will be vehicles. You don’t bring a gun to a swordfight.

Alright guys, I think this silly tangent about Nexo Knight’s creativity has gone on long enough. This topic is to discuss whether Lego’s original IPs are dying out, not to discuss the quality of those IPs.

Thanks.

10 Likes

I do feel like there isn’t quite as many original themes due to the popularity of licensed ones. Don’t know if it can be helped or not, but so would like to see a big come back at some point.

2 Likes

If Lego can make something good enough, then it can become popular like the licensed themes. One example of this is Ninjago. But the main issue I see is that there are other things like action figures and stuff for licensed themes while for original Lego themes there is just… Lego, duh. That’s at least the part for the kids, for the older people Lego is seen as a little kids thing and it’s silly and childish etc, etc. So they are most likely to turn away from it because of that. Lego doesn’t really analyze this like we are doing so they don’t see it, for them it’s whatever works, works. Even if they did realize this there isn’t much they could do, at least for the kiddie part. Maybe what they could do for the older part is something that could somehow expose them to it and make them give it a chance, that could also segway kids into it too. But Lego’s target audience is children so they probably wouldn’t care too much about that part. Also normally their licensed themes are well known things and the kiddies with their IPod’s and stuff see it’s popular prompting them to buy merch from the said franchise and Lego makes merch therefore they would probably at some point get Lego, at least until they move onto the next fad. But all that matters is that Lego gets their money in that part, us fans are to care about the getting tossed away part. Yes this last part is kind of me getting on kids of today’s cases with fads and stuff saying Lego is for kids (either though they are kids) but it is kind of true. But that’s pretty much all I have to say until someone else brings up a point or I come up with another thing, so it’s all I have to say for now.

(EDIT: Oi Slime, why’d you delete my post about the Nexo Knights ‘formula?’ That had some good points [in my opinion] you know!)

1 Like

While action themes have dwindled in number, Lego has put more effort into the recent successes, like Ninjago with it’s own TV show, and Nexo Knights with it’s app game and TV show. But while longevity and quality seems to be new trend in Lego’s original themes, the obvious exception to this rule is Bionicle G2, which was a lazy attempt to reboot the line, with poor animations and story, ending in all the sets put on clearance. Doesn’t fit the supposed “Quality over Quantity” that Lego’s taking.

1 Like

I think Bionicle was simply a response to the overwhelming amount of fans who were upset about the line ending, but in their efforts to keep up the quality of their poster toys, they didn’t care too much.

I deleted them because they were not relevant to this topic. Whether Nexo Knights sets are formulaic or not is not relevant to this discussion. This topic is not “Was Lego better in 2007?” It’s “Are original Lego themes dying out?” If you want to make a topic complaining about how unoriginal Lego is, go right for it. Just don’t have that argument here.

Wasn’t really saying Lego is unoriginal, just Nexo Knights is… well we’ve already talked about that. Back to what this is about.

Has anybody mentioned Collectable Minifigures?

I know they have done a few a liscensed series, but the majority is all original…

I think cmf is doing pretty well. I don’t see it dying out anytime soon

I think Lego will make a lot of original themes. Maybe some of them will live a year or two, or maybe others will be like Bionicle…

Yeah I doubt Lego would completely stop making original themes completely, but I doubt they will last as long, or sell as well as they used to

1 Like

I think it’s just that original IPs don’t have the same life cycle that some licensed themes have. They come and go, and that’s always been true I feel

But would licensed themes stay around for long if they weren’t selling well? Many non licensed themes aren’t planned for very long, yes, but wouldn’t they be planned for a longer run if Lego thought they would be popular? I just think the non licensed themes are much less popular then the licensed ones, and Lego knows it.

• Yes, they do
  • No, orifginal LEGO themes are still leading

0 voters

In the past few years, from what I saw, licenced themes are starting to take over original LEGO themes. The only original themes we have now are just Ninjago, Friends and Elves. That is pretty much all (I am not counting NO-STORY themes such as City or Techinc). It seems like LEGO is now trying to increse their popularity amoung adults with this all sourts of licenced themes. This year was Harry Potter, Next Year is OverWatch, and I can bet we are getting a new licenced theme in 2020. Where is LEGO Pirates? Where is LEGO Space? Where is LEGO Racers? Where is LEGO Agents? Where is LEGO Power Miners? Where is LEGO Atlantis? And this can go on and on. LEGO is abandoing their originality for idiots like mandrproductions which only care for licenced themes. Licenced themes are NOT real LEGO. ORIGINAL THEMES ARE THE REAL LEGO. This is what made LEGO so popular and unique. In my opinion, themes like Star Wars are the worst. I love the movies, but I HATE the LEGO theme, which only repeats the same sets year after year. We saw how “cool” was the Cloud City set people waited so much for. If I could, I would go and protest at Billund , Denmark, against this. The only good LEGO theme we have currently is Ninjago, and that is all. It is not worth buying any other theme then this. In 2010, when I first got into LEGO, I remember getting Ataltis, Hero Factory, etc. And I had so much fun makeing my OWN story with that sets! (I was only 6 years old at the time). I bearly even got much sets from licenced themes at the time. If LEGO is doing this just because adults walk across the shelfs and shout "OMG, I love Harry Potter! or OMG I love Star Wars!’ , then they are doing a HUGE mistake. LEGO is a kid’s thing, not an adult’s thing. And much of the Licenced themes Promote PG 13 movies, which are not always friendly to a 7-year old which loves LEGO. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith is rated M (Mature) in some countrys. And 7-year olds buy this things! When a kid goes to a LEGO shop, he does not care about what themes he buys, he just loves LEGO! So why give him sets based on Not-Kid-Friendly movies? This is just my opinion though. Leave yours in the comments below, and make sure to vote on the poll above.

4 Likes