Are original Lego themes dying out?

It’s cuz they get more money from something people love and recognize. Harry potter, for example. It’s so popular, and any harry potter fan who likes legos will get those sets.

They’re appealing to the public. producing stuff that people want to buy, not stuff that makes people go, “What? What’s this from?”

3 Likes

Heck yeah they are. I’m tired of seeing all the liscenced themes everywhere. I guess their just the safest thing for lego to sell, as minifugures and (maybe) brickheads will never go out of style. Its a shame to. Just look at the early 2000s. Bionicle, Adventurers, Racers, and later stuff like Agents, Mars Mission and Exo-Force. I think it has to have something to do with the new out-of-family CEO that Lego got in the 2010s.

6 Likes

Licensed themes are cool, but LEGO needs more original themes.

3 Likes

[quote=“LegoDavid, post:1, topic:46535, full:true”]
Where is LEGO Pirates? Where is LEGO Space? Where is LEGO Racers? Where is LEGO Agents? Where is LEGO Power Miners? Where is LEGO Atlantis?[/quote]

Most of those themes have been cancelled for years.

[quote=“LegoDavid, post:1, topic:46535, full:true”]
Licenced themes are NOT real LEGO. ORIGINAL THEMES ARE THE REAL LEGO.[/quote]

So LEGO isn’t real LEGO? I guess I’ve been buying fake lego then…

I do agree with you though, there’s way too many licensed LEGO themes right now. I am pretty excited for Lego Overwatch though. I would prefer a new original theme over another licensed theme, but licensed themes make LEGO more money so there’s going to be more of them.

5 Likes

If you look at the themes that have/will continue, here’s what we see:

Original: Ninjago (for the foreseeable future), City, Creator, Friends, maybe some more that I can’t remember…

Liscensed: Star Wars, Super Heroes (counting them as one)

I feel like I missed a ton, but really these are the only ones that are lasting, and so the reason behind my opinion that original themes are even with licensed.

LEGOs don’t need to be original to be LEGOs, and things like the LEGO movies prove that whether it’s original or third party that you can still craft your own story about each side, or both combined! As an teen, I’d much rather buy the Spider-Man Homecoming Beware the Vulture compared to something like Nexo Knights. It’s not that I don’t like original (Ninjago is part of my childhood, and I would buy Bionicle in a heartbeat), it’s just that I really like these movies and games that are being made. The last original set I’ve bought off shelves that weren’t clearance was a single minifigure pack.

2 Likes

I would still qualify the licensed themes as true themes, and the churn out new parts for MOCists, but the Heart of LEGO to me is in their IPs, which give them a specific identity, whereas the Star Wars theme is simply a derivative of the brand, and is thus associated with it as opposed to LEGO. The licensed themes still give us good sets, and I hope they still make them, as I want the company to survive financially.

3 Likes

Ninjago is now Lego’s highest-selling theme, being the first to outsell City.

So no.

1 Like

Really? More than Star Wars? Actually, after seeing prices, that’s understandable.

Lego currently has 9 licensed themes, in 2011 they had licenced themes. In 7 years they added/ removed some licneced themes. [quote=“LegoDavid, post:1, topic:46535”]
LEGO is a kid’s thing, not an adult’s thing.
[/quote]

Have you ever considered Lego being a toy that everyone enjoys[quote=“LegoDavid, post:1, topic:46535”]
(I am not counting NO-STORY themes such as City or Techinc)
[/quote]

Yet you complain about [quote=“LegoDavid, post:1, topic:46535”]
LEGO Pirates? Where is LEGO Space? Where is LEGO Racers?
[/quote] Which arent story driven themes.

Honestly your getting mad at nothing, If you dont like star wars just dont buy starwars.

6 Likes

Kids are not the only people who buy from the now extinct Toys’R US
While Star Wars generally sells well, Themes like City, Friends, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Or Elves, which AFOLS are not usually intersted in, are the best-selling amoung kids.

As far as Mandr, No offence, but I don’t like that guy. Half of what he sais in his videos makes my blood boil. I have not watched any of his vidoes since I made that post.[quote=“MistikaFan, post:101, topic:35762”]
oh I love yellow atlantis’
‘air stompers are great’
‘who else loves power miners lava?’
[/quote]

I belive anyone in their right mind likes those.

Yep they are. Why aren’t we getting more of those cool themes? Power Miners, Space Police, all these are great, but I feel Lego just doesn’t want to bring them back. They don’t bring those back, but they bring that Harry Potter just because of that BAD movie! Seriously! Lego is colonizing itself with licenses.

Because they would not make profit. They brought back Bionicle, and look what happened.

Exactly, just because they were ‘cool’ back in their days doesn’t mean they would be cool in these days too. Casette players were the best in the 80s. Should we return to them?

of profit and because a good chunk of their customers love HP.

Excuse me, what?

1 Like

Wow, this topic is active again for one day and we’ve already been brought in. Bravo guys, bravo. As we moderators have had to say a couple times now in topics like these, let’s remain civil and RESPECT, I repeat, RESPECT each others opinions.

I love how you go out of your way to defend your opinion and try to diffuse the situation, only to then post this:

So if I’m not a fan of air stompers then I’m crazy? If you’re so adamant that [quote=“LegoDavid, post:84, topic:35762”]
LEGO is a kid’s thing, not an adult’s thing.
[/quote]
Then maybe you should reconsider being a part of the LEGO community, as being 13 or older, you’re breaking your own set rule. LEGO is for anyone and everyone. Those numbers on the box are a suggestion, not a rule.

Um… I think something was lost in translation there.

The topic of respect can also be applied to you, Mr. Mistika. Disagree with the opposing side all you want, you can’t be argumentative and rude like this no matter how much you disagree, or how flawed their argument is.

And on THAT topic, let’s discuss your argument, David and Radrix. You say that themes like Star Wars are repetitive and are killing LEGO’s creativity, and then wish for something like Exo Force or Pirates or Castle back. You don’t actually want more original themes like you keep claiming, what you want is those themes back, which are just as repetitive as licensed themes. Look at the last release of Pirates from the late 2000s. They were nothing more than modern updates of the classic sets released in the olden days of the '70s and '80s. How is that any different from releasing three different versions of an X-Wing in 3-4 years? Whenever you want to bring up examples of wanting more original themes, maybe don’t mention those that were carbon copies. Say something like “I want a spiritual successor to Chima”. That covers your bases, as you want a new original LEGO theme, but not a repeat of something that’s already happened. Like how NinjaGo is a spiritual successor to BIONICLE.

Now, treat each other better, or all of you are looking at some form of repercussions. This has been happening way too often in the last few months, and we mods are tired of it.

5 Likes

I hope my post was OK.

Exactly! I strongly believe that if all of these themes would be brought back, all of the ‘new’ sets would be nothing but modern remakes, which is not bad but a whole theme of reissues masked as a new theme brought back IS bad, IMO at least.

Wait, really?

4-6 elemental masters battle the forces of evil on an island. That description fits both NinjaGo and BIONICLE. NinjaGo, while not actually intended as the successor to BIONICLE (that was obviously Hero Factory), it’s obviously served as the true successor in the days since Bonkle G1’s ending. Since that wasn’t intended, however, it’s best to refer to it as a spiritual successor.

2 Likes

Yeah, well, I’ve never thought at Ninjago as a successor to Bionicle. I mean, they had similarities, but it was back in the days when every single franchise that had elemental masters was automatically a successful one.

I admit I went too far and I will probably take a break from this topic before I get banned for saying anything silly, I recomend this to everyone else here to though but I am going before this topic gets shut down

Unless people really start to very act badly, this topic won’t be shut down. This is a very controversial topic, but as long as people are respectful, I doubt it would be closed or someone get banned.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:110, topic:35762, full:true”]
Yeah, well, I’ve never thought at Ninjago as a successor to Bionicle. I mean, they had similarities, but it was back in the days when every single franchise that had elemental masters was automatically a successful one.
[/quote]

1 Like

"A MAN HAS FALLEN INTO THE RIVER IN LEGO CITY

2 Likes