Are some Bionicle characters based on comics characters?

So this idea popped into my head recently when I read the book that had Reidak fighting the Toa Nuva, including Pohatu. Now, these two characters in particular seem to be based off Bionicle characters. Reidak seems to be a smarter Doomsday, with the inability to be defeated the same way twice and they’re both brutally savage. Pohatu seems to be based off the Barry Allen Flash, He’s a nice, jovial guy with incredible speed. They both also work alongside a dark, brooding character who doesn’t think highly of them at first. Speaking of the Kopaka/Batman similarities, that’s a big one. Now, this is one of the most obviious (and the only confirmed) examples of DC Comics’s inspiration on the Bionicle Universe, but it is in no way the best example.

That falls to the Shadowed One and Darkseid. Both are manipulative rulers of an evil land/planet, and have an army of the worst beings in existence and fight a never ending war against the rest of the Universe. Both must stand strong against all threats, or their leadership shall be terminated. As far as powers go, both are seemingly immortal, and they have eyebeams that will completely destroy the enemy.

Can any of you think of any?

3 Likes

(Alternate Version Here)

19 Likes

Could Takanuva be Aquaman?

3 Likes

Takanuva is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to good for that.

6 Likes

lol blotted out aquaman!

Person 1: “We can just crop him ou–”
Person 2: “NOPE!”
#blotted
hashtag #blotted, #slashtag

5 Likes

Wonder Woman looks significantly better with the gali mask IMO

3 Likes

Anyways, back to @Makuta_Verakion 's original topic- There are plenty of character stereotypes, but I think the one that we see the most is the “Amazoness” Independent woman kinda thing most Ga-matoran and Toa are like. Which is great, we never see some damsel in distress in the Bionicle Story but eh… Just like Wonder Woman, there’s no real way to describe Gali’s personality other than… ‘Stern’, ‘Caring’ etc etc.

2 Likes

The irony of not making Gali Aquaman, he’s literally the water themed superhero :joy:

2 Likes

That’s gotta be the necroest necropost i have ever seen

I don’t know if any of them are directly inspired by comic characters but I’m pretty sure Greg did say that Marendar would kill toa like an X-men sentinel, by adapting to their powers (hence why i have the headcanon Marendar can shapeshift)

Plus there’s the time bionicle parts were used in this edgy Thor comic

4 Likes

If I recall correctly, Greg said he took inspiration from comics for certain characters’ powers. Nikila’s mask is like Domino, Hewkii Inika’s mask is like Bullseye, Vezon’s kinetic energy absorption was also inspired by someone but I can’t remember who.

Also, I would not be surprised if the fan-created backstory for the Dark Hunter Mimic (which was later adapted and canonized by Greg) was inspired by Taskmaster’s powers.

@Enbeanie Wow, I had no idea that Thor comic existed. That’s wild.

2 Likes

That “mech” in the comic was built irl from Maxilos’ torso, and the legs of Kardas. It’s really close to something LEGO could sue over, but I guess Thor is too powerful to be sued in a US court.

2 Likes

are you suggesting Thor himself would come to court

4 Likes