Art dump (YES ANOTHER! [I've been feeling pretty artistic lately])

BEAM YOUR PITIFUL GROTESQUE EYEBALLS ON MY GLORIOUS ALIEN ART! Yes, you heard it! It iz I za REDPANDALORIAN, who has MASTERPIECES to share. Anyways, lemme upload the images…

First up, the paper stuff.

Here is a cat (the ancestors of the clans are conversing with him)

This was made by sketching, then lightly coloring with colored pencils. After, I painted over everything with watercolors. Finally, I used the colored pencils and graphite to bring in the details. Very cool.

Now, I have proof that I listen to you! And boy of boy were you right because DEAR MATA NUI this looks so much better!

Unlike the other Redpaw art I posted, this was made without a reference.

Then, some ittybittykitty art with a mouse. Same goes here, no references. Once I realized I could draw these cats without references, I stopped using them.

Next up, a BIG evolution! So, for a little while, I have been drawing my cats in the style of the Warrior Cats: The Prophecies Begin Graphic Novel Adaptations. I have decided that I want my own style now, so these next drawings are my journey in evolving some cats.

Then, after this, I did a part two to further perfect V7 into V9.

Quite the journey, wouldn’t you think?

Anyways, after that physical stuff, I have my new digital art. Shoutout to @Au-Plau-Se, who introduced me to FireAlpaca! I’ve watched some tutorials, so I’m ready to draw.

First up, a practice ball.

Then, a cat.

Ur looking good, Redpaw! Very Cool.

And would you squint at that, we are finished for the day! That, my friends, is an art dump!

Tell me what you think about the art!

7 Likes

I think the practice ball needs some work.

There’s a reason everyone uses the ball for lighting and shading practice, and it’s because it has perfectly uniform surfaces on all sides, leaving nothing to guesswork. Since it’s floating in space it’s hard to determine if there’d be reflected light from anything below, but generally speaking shadows tend to be bluer, not just blacker.

There’s also no blend between the light and the shadow, as the light is represented entirely with a thin, fuzzy highlight. Cast light only behaves this way if the object is intensely reflective, and even then, there’s other indicators of light present on the surface of the ball.


Credit: idk I found it on an image search

Here, there is a small, blindingly white highlight in the center of where the light impacts the ball, but there’s also a gradual falloff of the light itself as it heads further across the ball. The shadow edge also wraps the curvature of the ball very tightly, and is a big factor as to why our brains see it as a ball instead of just a circle.

And right where the edge of the ball meets the floor shadow, there’s a bit of light wrapping around the edge. This is diffused reflected light from the ground bouncing back up and partially illuminating the middle of the shadow.


Credit: David Briggs apparently

There is great promise here. I’d give the ball another go.

3 Likes

Dude, I know exactly how to make a ball already. I wasn’t trying to do realism. At all. But if I tried, I could do this:

Credit: Me.

3 Likes

Probably should’ve lead with this then :thinking:

Much better :relieved:

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re developing your own style, and it looks good! The drawing of Redpaw catching the mouse is well-framed and illustrated (though I do feel bad for the mouse). “Putting it all together…” (IMG_2346) looks a little strange, but “Reconstructing” (IMG_2348) is a great improvement.

The green in the first drawing feels unnatural for a cat. I can understand your artistic choice, but I’ve only seen one green cat before, and she was covered in algae because of old-age improper water-drinking. The red/blue color scheme is still strange, but I think that’s more down to how bright the colors are–choosing more muted shades would definitely help.

Still, these drawings are quite good overall, and I can’t wait to see what’s next from you.

3 Likes

I kinda like this style. Though, maybe it’s just me, the proportions make it look a little dog-like instead of catty. I think a longer body may help.

glad you credit the true artist.

I’m no artist, but I think I can see some improvements over some of the earlier stuff you’ve posted. Think I’ve said this before, but I’ll be watching your artistic journey with great interest.

3 Likes

Thank you for the mention! Wow the art dump looks beautiful.

1 Like

I have returned from the shadows and filth to crawl onto my desk and type.

@Zhyndea

Why thank you

HappyDogGIF

The mouse will be eaten.

HungryCatGIFbyNickelodeon

“Putting it all together” (also known by V7) felt like a giraffe with a mismatched head. V9 is just so much better lol.

That was before the MAGICAL idea of color change lol. Also, I hope that old cat is in better care now. :heart:

At least the red n’ blue colors are in the the official Warrior Cats color palette now. I’m thinking of changing the blue to shades like sand blue. Unfortunately, I don’t really have a colored pencil for that…

Hold up, lemme zoom in:

HappyHappyHappyApplauseGIFFor some reason, the only GIF I can find of the happyhappyhappy cat is this one with some random girls in it lol.

@Minethuselah

I would beg to differ

The highlight of the day: :sparkles:

Thanks!

@Au-Plau-Se

Thank you! A lot of encouragement today!

DancingGIF

Did anyone notice Giphy removed TONS of Bionicle GIFs? ARE THEY ERASING OUR LEGACY!? OUTRAGEOUS! TERMINATE THEM! DESTROY GIPHY’S KANOHI! SEND THEM TO KARZAHNI!

Anyways, nice day!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, she passed a few years ago, but my aunt gave her good care after she took the cat out of our hands (the cat was only with us temporarily).

2 Likes

Your welcome. Say have you tried to use the layers on FireAlpaca? I mean you could draw the sketch first, then add another layer and then draw the outline on that first layer you added, then turn the sketch invisible and add another layer again but moving the second layer under the outline to add the color, and after finishing the coloring merging all layers together into a beautiful big art. It helps when I make art. At first I was unaware until I used the layers and it helped me a lot.

1 Like

Yes, I did. MS Paint already has layers, so this was one of the first things I tried in FireAlpaca. They are so helpful!

3 Likes