Artahka, The Ancient Builder (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Entry Photo

For my entry, I wanted to try to create a version of Artahka that sets him apart from other characters in the Matoran universe, or something with an aesthetic that acts as a precursor to what we see in G1 Bionicle, given he was one of the first characters created by the Great Beings. To do this, I used a lot of non-Bionicle pieces, like Ben 10 and system bricks, then attempted to tie it together with technic and classic Bionicle pieces. I wanted to actually use sand green in my model, and the only sand green bricks I had on hand were from the Ben 10 sets, so that’s what I ended up using. I think it works well to establish Artahka as a more alien figure, with elements unfamiliar to most residents of the Matoran universe. I also tried to introduce a geometric/cubic aesthetic unfamiliar to both G1 and G2 Bionicle, but still easily recognizable as Lego.

Front Profile

Side Profile

Back Profile

The model is about 11 inches tall, which makes it roughly consistent with the canon scale the figure should be. It is, for the most part, pretty poseable. I did end up sacrificing a bit of flexibility in the model at the expense of aesthetics, but I figure that’s a little justified given the art contest is ultimately what ends up being canonized.

Breakdown

Hammer

Mask

As you can see, the inner workings of this guy are an absolute mess of technic, ccbs, and a bit of system. I’m not sure if this is enough of a breakdown, so I’m happy to provide more photos if that’s required. The hammer and mask were an attempt to continue the blocky system aesthetic I had established in Artahka’s armour. The mask specifically is an attempt to replicate something resembling the G2 Mask of Creation in a geometric style.

29 Likes

Well… actually…

Yeah… why not?

I like it.

3 Likes

I was actually considered making a cube hammer like that. Interesting take.

1 Like

Artahka the brick

1 Like

Artakha’s out here lookin’ like he’s ready to drop a Ghost cover with that square hammer.

2 Likes

The square armor makes it look like it was made from slabs of stone, a very unique design

1 Like

My first impression upon seeing this was “Artahka: Minecraft Edition.” Jokes aside, I appreciate the unique direction you took with this; it definitely stands out from the crowd.

1 Like

That’s a great brick-built mask.

1 Like