Artakha, A Love Letter (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

{Entry Photo}

I originally had no plans to enter this contest, but the excitement surrounding the entire event was too alluring to pass up on. Like many, Artakha has been one of my favorite characters in the franchise. The entries thus far have been amazing, with so many takes on his design! I took great time and care reading through carefully what you, the fans, wanted to see. Shape, color, qualities. And equally, what you all did not want to see brought to the character’s profile. I have read your comments, concerns, hopes, and all things in-between. While disagreements were scattered across here and there, this is the culmination of what I hope can create a middle-ground. Hoping I can honor all those wishes, so this love letter is for you all! :wink:

Design/Influence:

I have always envisioned Artakha as the Bionicle equivalent of Celebrimbor from Tolkein’s LOTR mythos. Celebrimbor was a master smith, and the one to forge some of the most powerful of the 20 Rings. Those who have played the games he was featured in will know he embodies the perfect balance, of wisdom, grace, authority, and unyielding power. Artakha’s description of his mask …The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace just fits the bill so perfectly. I wanted the blue flames to represent that transcendent almost otherworldly power the Mask of Creation imbues his body and masterpieces with. The black on the legs, and the hands are essentially meant to display as boots and gloves, akin to a blacksmith. :hammer_and_pick:

Mask/Tools:

KhingK created a spectacular 3D design! It can be purchased on several sites, but the free download is here. Super stoked to see what designs the Art contest pushes out, but if they decide to go with this one, I see no complaints. :smile:

Additionally, I wanted the mask and forge hammer to match the same power and grace of one another. Smith hammers are generally small, but I still wanted to pack some detail in on it. This too, was inspired by Turánn, Celebrimbor’s mithril hammer.

Scale:

The big guy stands at 11" tall. Just shy of my light box luckily!

Profile (front, back, side):

Breakdown

Gears :ballot_box_with_check:
Titan Pistons :ballot_box_with_check:

For my purists, all parts are G1; there are no G2 or Hero Factory exclusive parts. BUT I did make an exception with 1.The Ben 10 body frame and forearm , & 2. The Star Wars large figure shinguard and lightsaber handle (on his hammer). I only made these allowances because they are not featured in G2 and are original pieces to their particular franchise. Additionally, there’s just about 4 or 5 system bits (mainly in the hammer, but also the slopes on the chest and the flippers on inner shin.

The blue eyepiece is listed as Item No: 34721c01 on Bricklink and came with the Shark Army Girl minifig. Beautiful part! Just fold it on the axle behind the mask :wink:

These will be more in-depth should the entry win or if the judges require prior :relaxed:

Good luck to the other contestants, and thank you in advanced for the support! :blue_heart:

-BD

37 Likes

I would like this one a lot more if the feet were just a tad longer, but I love the overall regality of this one!

It’s also a refreshing change from the other Bufftaka entries, which is unique!

Overall, a very nice design!

5 Likes

Completely seeing you eye-to-eye on that note.

Thank you so much! :blue_heart:

God that hammer is beautiful! You really hit that lotr vibe!

1 Like

The KhingK mask looks great and so does the hammer, and body. The feet however are a little short, use Mata feet for a slightly longer equivalent.