Artakha by Mister N (Bionicle Canon Contest #2: Meet The Maker, Part 2 (Art))

Bloody hell, it’s almost indistinguishable from the actual Miramax concept art. I really like the mask design, the blend of different cues is genius.

Unfortunately I don’t so much dig it’s color or the overall character look.I can’t quite put my finger on why though.

2 Likes

I love how you managed to replicate the Miramax style although adding hind legs sort of makes him resemble Teridax. My real issue is that the mask is too long and lean to fit well with the actual moc.

2 Likes

I’m honestly not a fan of the Miramax style (never did like it in the movies), but your design process for the mask was very cool, and I like the elements you chose to include in it. Good luck!

I absolutely adore how indepth the art is.

It feels so very much the official concept art behind the movies, and the feel of the mask is great too.

It makes me excited and nostalgic in the same vein.

I didn’t think it was possible to simplify such an intricate design and still make it look good, but you nailed it! It matches the Creative Capers style perfectly. Honestly, not a huge fan of how his ankles have a gap in the middle, but nitpicks aside, this is perfect!

The Miramax aesthetics are so on point, I really thought this was unused concept art directly from Blacksheep itself. Gives me a lot of nostalgic vibes. Great job!

2 Likes

i love your concept art so much
This is a very beautiful design based on the film style, and the degree of completion is very, very high

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments guys! :sweat_smile:

Wow! I can’t tell, is this done with markers Mixed with digital or is it all digital? It looks great! I’m not sure about the Digitigrade(standing on toes/ looks like 3 jointed legs) though.

@Rothanak well, I drew the line on the A2 format by black liner, but color is full digital. It’s imitation of the markers, not the real ones

And… the mask. Yeah, I’m not sold on that one. Looks too blocky for me. I like some of the concepts you made, most notably 3a and 4a, shame these didn’t make it into the final artwork.

@Voxovan I think 3a and 4a matched worse with the Kini-Nui crown, so the final lower half of the mask was inspired by something arctitecture and monumental. I think it fits original character much better

2 Likes

“Monumental” is exactly how I would describe this mask. Though, I’ve noticed the Miramax style masks don’t usually mesh well with MOCs. If you end up winning, would you consider drawing up a “toy” version of the mask for 3D printers to use?

3 Likes

Yeah, I had plans for adaptation my mask as actual lego piece, but I’m not sure that BS01 would consider it as canon if I win lol. It’ll be just another option for fans

Canon or not, I’m sure it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Looking back, this was one of the best looks at Artakha. He looks really cool and you nailed the bionicle wibe.