Artakha the Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Legendary brother of Karzahni who ruled the island of Artakha and created the Toa Mata, the Mask of Light, and the Karda Nui Codrex vehicles.

51 Likes

I like how you managed to make Sand Green be the main color! However, I think the NPU on the staff is really forced, and it could have been done a lot better.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of System-heavy Bionicle builds, but I gotta give you props for that mask though. Grand but grumpy :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As a system builder, I could never find it in me to call this a bad build. But I can’t say I’m a huge fan of it in terms of a BIONICLE MOC. Love the use of the Green Dragon jaw for the torso!

2 Likes

Yo green mech dragon squad, let’s go!

Great build. Despite being mostly system, it still has a G1 feel, though that could just be me. His legs almost remind me of a samurai

2 Likes

Maybe a bit too reliant on system, but he still looks good. Some parts like his arms and shoulders still manage to capture that Bionicley aesthetic.

2 Likes

the details and custom mask you did with system parts are really nice, the tiny hands seem a bit weird to me though.

1 Like

This looks a bit short to be artakha. Plus that’s a lot of system for a G1 Bionicle moc.

That warhammer is one of the more realistic looking hammer I’ve seen so I appreciate that

1 Like

Okay, this is cool.
I love the mask, I love the shape, I love the colors. It looks like a bionicle character, despite being made out of system. I could see arthritis looking like this in some promotional artwork.

Favorite entry I’ve seen so far, has my vote unless I see something better.

2 Likes

It looks like a bionicle character, despite being made out of system

I reassembled brutaka the other night to compare the two, and this moc doesn’t quite resemble a bionicle set. It almost does in some places, but bionicle titans traditionally have exaggerated proportions and this artakha has much more realistic ones. The feet and hands should be massively oversized, the shoulders should be wider, the hip region should be empty, etc. It’s a cool moc but it doesn’t fit the weirdness of bionicle characters. The buff entries do a better job of capturing the bionicle look than this one.

3 Likes

Oof, he good.

That mask, though…I can only really look at it from the front…:laughing:

I really like this one, though, especially the colors!

1 Like

Sadly there is too much system on this guy. It kinda destroys the G1 aesthetic. I like it but (no offense) I have a feeling it won’t make it far as a G1 Artahka moc. Very good work on that intricate build though.

This is a pretty impressive build, and in terms of System-heavy MOCs, it’s definitely feels more G1-esque than a lot of others I’ve seen. And of course, the usage of System parts has allowed you to incorporate a lot more sand green than you would have been able to otherwise.

That said, it still falls short of looking enough like a G1 Bionicle character for my tastes. (And to be clear, I’m ignoring the head since it’s just a placeholder.)

I feel like the lower legs are a bit too square and “blocky”. That’s the part of the MOC that tips it over into “not G1 enough” territory for me. The torso and arms pull of the use of System aprts a lot better in my opinion.

The feet, while perhaps not unrealistic for a human-like character, seem a bit too small for a Bionicle character of this size (just compare his feet to any other titan), and it makes the guy look like he’s going to topple over. His hands feel similarly small by the same measure.

I don’t claim to be a hammer expert, but the handle looks way too tall relative to the size of its head. As someone else pointed out, the usage of the lantern part feels a bit forced, and I’d go as far as saying it makes the handle look fragile… even in one of your own pictures, the handle is slightly bent out of shape. The hammer head definitely looks good, though.

I like the way you used a golden minifig gun to create his heartlight. And the way you did the “ribs” using Ninjago skeleton arms is pretty neat, as is the usage of the dragon head piece.

Overall, this is a pretty good MOC with a lot of neat part usage and shaping, but it doesn’t work in the context of the G1 aesthetic and proportions. In other words, it’s not a good candidate for canonization, but it is an impressive standalone model.

1 Like

the lower legs are a bit too square and “blocky”. That’s the part of the MOC that tips it over into “not G1 enough” territory

This isn’t valid criticism since nearly all of the old bionicle pieces are blocky and meant to fit within the lego grid. The reason the legs are designed as they are is to emulate a metru leg using purist rules while the panels on the forearms are angled inward to emulate pohatu phantoka’s propeller housing.

golden minifig gun

It’s a fireman’s nozzle in yellow while the moc’s eyes are keetorange. They don’t match exactly but they’re close enough that it works.

Eh, I see what you were going for with the legs, and they certainly are cleverly-built, but I just don’t think the end result looks G1-ish enough.

As for “blocky” look, I mean looking overly cubic. G1 parts fit into the LEGO grid, but they rarely look very “square”. Comparing your legs to the Metru ones, I’d say the Metru legs have a lot more nuance to them. Of course, they have the advantage of being a single, specially molded part. Obviously, recreating the same kind of look with multiple parts isn’t easy. That’s not to say the leg design is bad, but it just doesn’t feel “G1” enough to me.

As for the nozzle, nice to know it’s yellow. It looked gold in the pictures. Anyway, I called it a gun because that’s how it was used in the LEGO Agents sets, which were the first time I got my hands on that part. The City Fire Department sets that came out around the same time used a different piece for their fire hose nozzle:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=194cx2&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

1 Like