Artakha the Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet The Maker)

All righty then. Going to give this a go. I’ve had a majority of people say they liked the initial rough draft of this model, but now it’s time for the final product. So here’s my take on Artakha.

And of course, we all know he’s gotta have that big ol’ hammer, so I really went to town for that. The hammer itself is quite heavy, but he can hold it pretty well if posed just right. With the way the hands are constructed, the hands can actually “lock” in place for when he’s holding the hammer. Most of the fingers are posable enough to where you can move them however you see fit for a more realistic or believable feel.

Here is a breakdown of how most of the major parts of him are built. The torso, funny enough, started off as a Phantoka Lewa revamp of sorts until it eventually evolved into what it is now. The wings attach in such a way where you can pose them or fold them down if you wanted to have a back skirt armor, although I don’t show that here. The “mandibles” that close over the torso are also posable if you wanted to move those out of the way. I imagine those as being like extra armor for when/if he ever has to take to the battlefield as extra protection.

The hands, as mentioned, are unique as I’ve never used these hinges before or created hands like this. The technic lift arm piece fits over the ball joint just enough to lock it into place for when he’s not holding the hammer.

Speaking of the hammer, here is a general breakdown of how it is constructed. It uses a lot of different hose parts, as well as the large wheels and technic parts.

The legs are also a new take on an idea I had. I’ve made sure to fill in as many gaps as possible, and I added these heel spurs to help with stability. This idea was a big help for my Karzahni MOC, since he kept wanting to fall over a bunch.

Finally, the mask itself, as created by KhingK (as purchased on Shapeways ) and painted by myself in metallic silver.

So, that’s my take on Artakha. He’s gone through about 3 different revisions, so hopefully I did him justice.

As mentioned before, the mask was purchased off Shapeways from the Forge of the Maskmakers shop owned by KhingK. https://www.shapeways.com/product/YMZAR7FNU/the-legendary-mask-of-creation?optionId=154647400&li=shops

Original 3D model for the mask found HERE

31 Likes

Looks good, the wings are an interesting flair I haven’t seen anyone else include.

2 Likes

I like the torso shape with the Metru mataron torso, although my eyes hurt when I see the hammer literally sagging under its own weight.

2 Likes

I agree. I think a smaller hammer would work better for this MOC. Not even for realism sake.

The handle of the hammer can’t support the hammer head in the fourth photo, and I also find it difficult to imagine a character wielding a large, two handed weapon, while flying in the air.

1 Like

Thank you for entering! Before we can accept this, you need to provide the link to a free download of the mask model.

Thank you!

I think he’s a bit too skinny to make sense as Artakha to me. Definitely titan sized but you should try to scale the width with the height. The color distribution is a bit weird as well, with lime prominent on the legs but silver on the arms. Hammer is neat though.

1 Like

Certainly. My apologies. I have gone ahead and updated my initial post with a link to the download for the mask’s files.

I am unsure if it is too late, but I was wondering if I could have some clarification about the entry rules, specifically with the 60% outwardly green rule. I am unsure if I have overdone it on the green or not, especially with the lower half of the figure.

And after hearing feedback about the size of the hammer, I am wondering if I can possibly change out the hammer head for something that won’t cause it to droop or even break in the worst case scenario.

That’s a fair interpretation, but at least I’d like to see him have the texture/color consistency of Brutaka or Sidorak.

If you truly did, I have documented the building process of him over the last 2 months, before when he was mostly silver. So technically you can, although that version might not have been accepted for the contest. Likewise, I’m going to guess now that I have submitted him, this look is locked into place.

It was like I said in my little explanation that I mistakenly aimed at someone else… which is my mistake, oops. It kinda just happened and I wasn’t sure how to make some of the pieces go to ensure he fell under the 60% mark for green.

I really like that mask on your upper torso design, but I feel the limbs are a bit lacking.

The upper arms feel too skinny to be swinging a massive hammer, and the legs just seem too long.

More chonk on this guy would do him well, but the body is really great!

“Sigh”… yet another victim of oversized hammer syndrome.
Artakha’s hammer is not a weapon. It is a random crafting tool he picked up from the forge and took it with him on his trip to Metru Nui. Size like this doesn’t make sense.

Outside of that, the MOC is cool.

1 Like

Bionicle doesn’t make sense.

If people want big hammer, let them have big hammer.

Giant, imposing guy with tiny hammer doesn’t look very appealing, anyways.

1 Like

Not making sense in the real world. I meant making sense in story. I am okay with oversized weapons (Bionicle has a lot of those), but this is not a weapon.

Not tiny, just appropriate. Several entries managed to nail it.

Are the wings for show are are they supposed to be functional? I don’t know that they’d actually lift him. Hahaha

The legs look good but the lower arms are rather bare. I also can’t ignore the bend in that hammer, I would recommend strengthening it.

I’m worried about it, too, although I’m not sure if I can change it now that I’ve entered it.