Artakha the Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

My entry in the second canon contest. I really wanted to make an entry with sand green as its primarily color. Of course the part selection of Bionicle parts in that color is limits to the parts from Zaktan so I used CCBS parts from Boba Fett and the Ninjago Mech Dragon. As well as from the Ben 10 Swampfire set.

The runes on his armor are mostly stickers from the Mechs from Hero Factory: Invasion from Below.

Front, back and side

Hammer and Mask

His mask is based of the Gen-2 Mask of Creation but custom made to appear bigger for it to match the titan-sized MOC.

Breakdown

And finally a picture without the runes on his armor. In case you wonder how he looks without it

77 Likes

I assumed the eyes were actually higher on the mask until I could identify the trans blue tiles used for his eyes.

The highlights of this model are undoubtedly the feet and torso. The shaping is incredible and the layering excellent for the chest and stomach, and the complex ankle/foot design is one I’m going to be taking inspiration from, for sure.

This is near the top of my list for certain. Good luck in the contest.

4 Likes

He feels so alien, I love it! Not sure if it fits the G1 aesthetic, but it’s absolutely gorgeous. Great use of the stickers for runes!

2 Likes

All the shells blend together nicely, and I love that you managed to find a use for those kraata jar lids lol. Great work!

2 Likes

I love that Mask made of parts!

1 Like

Sand green :white_check_mark:
Runes :white_check_mark:
Hammertime :white_check_mark:
Mask of creation :white_check_mark:
Looks like a G1 Bonkle :x:

Ah Barnicles, I forgot about the most important aspect of the building contest. Silly me

12 Likes

That’s a cool way to make a custom mask. Proportions are nice and it does look interesting, but doesn’t look very G1

I’m surprised the idea hadn’t already gotten hammered into you (heh, “hammered”) the first time around.

1 Like

Honestly, I think Artakha gets a pass on this one.

He is one of the earliest creations of the Great Beings, presumably hand-crafted as a unique, one-of-a-kind being of extreme power. It is reasonable that he doesn’t quite have the same aesthetic as a Matoran or Toa.

But that aside, I love this. It has my preferred colour combination of sand green and gunmetal with a gold mask. It’s a large, powerful-looking build while still remaining proportionate. And it has runes, which weren’t even on my list because I didn’t think anyone would have them.

I really don’t think there’s anything bad that I can say about this.

5 Likes

Such is the pitfall of this particular contest. Sand green G1 pieces, but its studio and can’t be replicated without painting. Metru/Mata/Lime green G1 pieces but can’t be sand green without painting, or CCBS/Technic that’s sand green, can be replicated, but doesn’t look like a BIONICLE.

As for the MOC. I love it personally. It does skew a fair bit outside of the G1 aesthetic but not the point that its unbelievable. Brick built mask is also excellent. Best of luck!

-Solaris Magnus

1 Like

Add to that, he wears a mask that allows him infinite creativity and knowledge of how to create things. It stands to reason he could have modified his person/armor into a complete work of art.

@Sparky this is amazing! I love the overall look. I think it’s neat you also used that sand green curved piece as a collar, because @Kodiak was talking about doing something similar to that. The custom mask is neat, too! I will say, it looks like Artakha’s been doing chest day for months on end, without focusing on the rest oh his body in his workout routine, but it’s a neat stylistic choice!

2 Likes

that’s why the moc portion of the contest allows you to use other shades of green

Indeed. I’m really glad various sand green parts have been put to good use.

This is probably my favorite entry by far. I like the color blocking as well as the use of gunmetal and sand green.

3 Likes

The “G1 aesthetic” was never consistent to begin with. And smooth pieces existed in G1 as well (take the Nuva armor for example). Just because the moc isn’t covered with pointless pistons head to toe doesn’t mean it doesn’t look Bionicle. I for one love this moc, might be my favourite interpretation of Artakha so far (althought I said that about many entries before, the good ones just can’t stop coming).

5 Likes

Delicious.

1 Like

despite the critique of many of the other commentors about the asthetic.
I like that you were bold enough to use stickers instead of trying to overcomplicate the moc with hundreds of tiny pieces. while I agree the moc is a bit to smooth in some places.
the silhouette and general feel of the moc fits the character really well. a towering giant with an air of divinity. being such a significant figure to the matoran.

I got to say the feet and the hip section are my favorite parts of the moc. I would try to integrate some gears and pistons in small gaps in the armor. but so far this is one of the top mocs for this contest.

2 Likes

Oooh, I love that head and that torso. Awesome job.

Wow, that’s something new. At least it stands out.

Absolutely brilliant, my favorite entry so far. Hope it wins.

2 Likes

That custom head is everything I wish my artakha moc head was. Nice job.