Artakha the Tinkerer - Bionicle Canon Contest #2: Meet The Maker, Part 2 (Art)

Well folks, here’s my entry for the art portion of Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker!

For this piece, I really wanted to give it a more painted look. I felt like it felt the character of Artakha a bit more.

On that note, that’s also why I decided to portray Artakha mid-construction of the Toa Mata! I really wanted to emphasize the more creative, inventive side of the character, and I felt like recreating one of the most important moments in Bionicle history would be a good way to do that!

I decided to use KingK’s Mask of Creation here, in part because that’s what @Connor_Hoffman originally used, but also because I genuinely think it looks perfect. A link to that mask can be found here: The Legendary Mask of Creation

As for the more technical details, this took about a month and a half to make (I started on the background before the winner was announced), was made in Adobe Photoshop 2021, and consists of 1,121 layers. (Yeah, my computer nearly died while making it.)

Overall, I’m incredibly proud of this project. I’m super stoked for the rest of the contest and I can’t wait to finally see what Artakha looks like!

48 Likes

I like how Artakha is building his own “MOC”. Very nice color palette and environment. Also, good mask choice!

7 Likes

Huh, I hadn’t even thought of it like that! Good thinking! And thank you! I like the mask design too!

At first glance I thought this was a 3D model, just goes to show how much effort went into it. Very nice!

5 Likes

I’m flattered! Thank you so much!

Seems well worth the insane layer count. Love how it’s shown to be a scene!

1 Like

Amazing job! My favorite so far! Instead of making him standing like some ruler of the world above everything, you showed him just doing his job. It could be even cool if you add Mask of Light hanging above stove (his second most famous creation after Toa Mata).

1 Like

I love the effort you put into this! If I may ask, why did you stay so close to the original moc when designing your own version would’ve been easier?

1 Like

Artakha’s MOCs are the Toa Mata, built out of his very own protodermis LEGO bricks

2 Likes

B-But… paper isn’t canon in MU :anguished:

Great job! I love the sneaky details, such as Lewa’s axe having a scratched out 2015 version next to it :smile:

2 Likes

Wow, great work with the painting. You really make him look set accurate.

:open_mouth: You are right, 0/10, not cannon enough. Now, I’m not sure if the Scroll of Preparations was the only piece of paper in the MU. Maybe the Great Beigns give some to Artakha.

1 Like

Yes, it is the only piece in MU. GBs may have given him some (not that he needs it, when he has the Mask)

1 Like

Lhikan sighing in relief as he wraps the toa stones in parchment paper

3 Likes

@ShonenBag thanks! Now that it’s finished (and now that my computer isn’t at risk of lighting itself on fire anymore) I have to agree!

@ultimo Thank you! That’s definitely what I wanted, I felt like this fit the more reclusive inventor we see in the stories. And dang it, that would have been a good idea! I don’t think I have enough time to change it, but I wish I’d thought of that earlier!

@KanohiReqi To be honest, I just really love this design of the set. I really wanted to include every detail, because it probably would have looked worse without. It’s the perfect balance of complex but still cohesive with the other Bionicle designs, and I didn’t want to risk messing with that balance.

@The_Blue_Panda true!

@ToaKebaka Uh oh. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m just gonna go with what @Huemus said about the Great Beings and Scroll of Preparations, and hope that Lhikan’s parchment paper like @KanohiReqi mentioned is enough. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

That was metal foil, not paper. Either way, I meant it as a joke :smile:

2 Likes

Really liking this design - it’s neat to see Artakha presented as actually in the middle of creating, which I feel fits his character a lot more than if he were in a generic ‘power stance’

1 Like