Artakha with Chest Hair (Canon Contest #2 : Meet the Maker)

I initially wasn’t going to enter this contest, but I had some time, an idea or two came into my head, and I’m decently happy with the result. I need to find a way to strengthen the biceps to shoulder connection.

The build ideas were as follows:

1. Has to be taller than an Inika build, but the scale is flexible from the Mata

2. Has to follow some stereotypes for blacksmiths

3. The hammer had to be more tool than weapon - could not be oversized

4. I had to use a multi-tone green marbled piece because I didn’t like the one tone green color limitation. And that’s admittedly childish, but I only paint 3D printed pieces and I’ve got a Karzahni floating around the parts bin.

That being said, I think it turned out pretty decent. Scroll down further to see the prototype pictures I’ve uploaded to see where the design started.

(Hopefully) old Entry Photo

Front / (New) Entry Photo -

Closeup

Side

Back

Hammer

Scaled to Mata

Breakdown

Prototype

41 Likes

I like the neat resemblance to Karzahni

1 Like

moved to Lego creations

Nice, I love the hordika head shoulders, reminiscent of the piece being used on karzahni. It’s a great piece, but hard to incorporate (speaking from experience)

1 Like

Thanks! The first attempt definitely started as that, but it just never came together. All in all I’m pretty happy with it, although I’ll get some ideas to fix the arms in probably 6 months or so

Yeah. I’ve actually got a few builds that use them - my self MOC and a revamped Bohrok that I haven’t posted anywhere and they use slight variations of the attachment points

I’m a bit limited on pieces that make convincing shoulders, you know?

Turns out you can stick a bar through the eyeholes on a few Hordika masks, and doubling up minifig arms is a good option when you can’t do that.

7 Likes

I like this interpretation quite a lot, since it uses a lot of BIONICLE pieces without being messy. Hope the marbled chestplate isn’t an issue, cause I can see myself voting for this one in finals.

1 Like

Thank man. I’m not calling this my best, but I found a few new techniques in there that really put it among my favorites. I try to use as few bricks as possible in my stuff.

Which is frustrating, but satisfying when everything cleans up

1 Like

I really like the shaping here! This one is really high up on my list. The design is clean and the silhouette is really nice.

1 Like

I really like this take. Simple, clean and effective in many ways, and bears a strong resemblance to Karzahni, embodying the similarities between the brothers. Well done, and best of luck in the contest!

Thanks! I think the inspiration for the prototype stage came from this :

And I imagine Artakha as, not exactly streamlined per say, but practical. Nothing really hanging off the frame in any large way and the armor being less disjointed than most of what we see in official sets.

To your other point, I feel a lot of entries missed the mark of Karzahni’s brother (and a mild resemblance to the image below, which could be my own preferences of the character design) :

3 Likes

Really like this entry, it’s probably the closest to how I imagined Artakha years back. It’s sturdy without being overly bulky and while it’s not overflowing with detail, it has enough to make the MOC visually interesting and also leaves some large flatter spaces for runes. I love how it takes parts from mutated Karzahni but arranges them to emulate the shape of the World depiction. The color blocking on this is fantastic and I think it’s great how the shoulderpads and chestplate make a solid section of green around the neck, it makes me feel like the mask could be any shape or color and still look great on this MOC.

Did my best to make a sand green Stud.io render. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any models for some of the key pieces so I had to replace some of them. Still hope it gives a decent impression of what this might look like with the correct colors.

4 Likes

Dude! That’s sick! Good substitution of the lower half of the original chestplate with the 3x3 T-liftarm. Good choice on the hero factory heads too. It’s the right amount of greebling.

How long did that take to put together? I never really picked up stud.io since I don’t get too much inspiration these days, but this is a convincing argument

1 Like

It’s a really cool program, highly recommended. This took a few hours to put together and then under an hour for posing and rendering. The Biopack organized by SwampKryakwa and co. is a must have for constraction building. It doesn’t have every Bionicle piece (it’s missing the Carapar chest armor and Hordika faces, as you can see) but it has much more than base Stud.io has.

Good luck in the polls!

1 Like