Articulated Metruan Limbs

Hi everyone,

Since I made an account here to vote for the canon contests, I thought I might as well use it to talk a bit about my creations here.

I’ve made quite a few custom parts since 2013 and the latest one is an articulated version of the Metruan limb :

It may look easy, but I’ve actually spent a long time working on it. The reason is that I really wanted to include a functional piston, just like on my articulated Mata leg. However, due to the original Metruan limb being so small, I couldn’t find a proper way to include it without straying away too much from the original part, so I, reluctantly, left it fixed.

There’s still one stylistic change I made : as you can see, I took some liberties and replaced the cross axle with mechanical details.

It may not be to everyone’s taste, so for those who prefer a part that’s more faithful to Lego’s version and easier to integrate into MOCs, I’ve made a variant where both parts have the cross axle :

(Thanks to @Piruk for the renders)

In that case, a cut flex axle or lightsaber has to be used to attach the parts., but the two versions have no functional difference. Their range of motion is the same - about 105° :

4f30u9

The two variants can be ordered on Shapeways, and more options should follow soon. :wink:

44 Likes

Major respect to anyone who does 3D modelling, let alone something meant to be used with Bionicle parts. Great work!

5 Likes

I NEED IT!

2 Likes

This looks awesome! What software do you use?

3 Likes

This is a nice upgrade to the original piece.

4 Likes

This. Is. Awesome.

So many smaller characters will be able to be posed better now. I hope I can print this sometime in the future.

3 Likes

3D printed parts really are the future of Constraction. This is great! I took a look at the other custom parts you have available, and I’m really impressed! I especially like your articulated Mata limb and torso.

4 Likes

This is so cool! For those of us that like to 3D print, are you going to offer the 3D model somewhere?

2 Likes

Where has this been my entire life? :wink: :laughing:

Seriously, that’s one of the best 3D models I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your kind words. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure they can accurately be printed on home printers (I like to offer parts that have the best quality, and parts made with FDM machines are usually crude), but I can send you the files if you want to try.

2 Likes