At Destral's Gate: Honor Guard

Absolutely Incredible!!

Is the voting live? I wanna vote for this masterpeice! !!!

1 Like

Voting isn’t live yet. Eljay is giving people until the end of Monday (not sure as to which timezone) to make final corrections. Voting will likely begin shortly after that.

At first I wasn’t a huge fan because it was hard to make out each toa’s details, but now that we can see them as mocs, I like them a bit more. Probably won’t vote for them, even though the artwork is well made.

2 Likes

Once again, some absolutely fantastic art pieces from you both. Your Artakha’s were my two favorites in the last contest. However, I am pretty confident that I will not be voting for these. First, the entry is incomplete, with only detailed individual shots of Pouks and Gaaki; Bomonga and Kualus are missing. Second, there is a discrepancy with Pouks. In Perp’s group concept art, it appears Pouks has brown Vahki lower legs (which is supported by the reference MOC), but in Crunchbite’s detailed shot, its a CCBS shell. Which one should be considered the “official” version and will be voted on? If it is the CCBS version, I don’t think that works well thematically and also breaks the color placement.

I would have loved to see this if there were more time in the entry period. Perhaps it would’ve changed my vote.

4 Likes

According to Perp, yes, but what about Crunch, who drew Pouks with CCBS legs? Since they collaborated, I would rather wait to hear what they both say. Besides, those recreations may be fairly accurate, but they are not part of the entry and shouldn’t impact how people vote (they won’t for me, at least). For example, if Bomonga is supposed to have Kalmah’s armor on the shoulders, I would’ve liked to see that in the actual entry rather than as an afterthought.

3 Likes

That has none of the distinct features of Kalmah’s armor other than the general shape. There is no way of knowing that’s what it’s supposed to be without being told, which, is disappointing. Show, don’t tell.

Again, this is something that would’ve been clear if Bomonga’s individual shot was given along with Gaaki’s and Pouks’.

5 Likes

It’s not very relevant to make the ‘MOC’ version of the artwork, because the art is what’s getting approved, not an interpretation or the artist’s vision of what it represents. What it literally appears as is what’s being used as reference for canon.

And honestly, I’m completely fine with Bomonga’s appearance in this artwork because the atypical hunched frame implies an atypical Metru build - and breaking the frame is what I’m voting for.

4 Likes

@Perp3tual can I please use your awesome Kualus concept art as my YouTube channel banner?

2 Likes

Since these mask designs won’t really be the true shape of their masks if they win, what power would you assign these kanohi?

Honestly, I don’t really have any powers in mind when it came to these masks. I don’t want to pull a Psychometry by stapling these to an established power there by invalidating some current 2D/3D artists library of work or hamper the creative freedom of an artist that decides to join the community post contests. Making a new power, giving a face to an old one; my main goal with these guys is that Bionicle gets to stay fun beyond the goal post of these contests.

If you want some “Perp3tual suggested” ballparks:

• Gaaki’s mask is based of Crunchy’s pre-contest Mask of Psychometry, so logically I think that can extrapolated in the direction of a mental mask. With how the top of the skull is accentuated like the Noble Komau and Gaaki’s canon mask disposition, I think that’s a solid direction to go with it.

• Bomonga’s mask has a couple of directions you could take with it. It’s original influence was a hammerhead shark, so you can take it in a rahi/nautical focused direction. Alternatively, the connection to the Kiril could influence it towards that direction.

• Kualus’ mask is the Makooti mask, so generally any direction you’ve seen for could work here. A tech interface mask, a controlling type mask, whatever. Noble Biomechanics, Regional Sensory Aptitude; sky’s the limit.

• Pouks’ mask you could argue is closest to a Canon mask power as in early development, it was built off the mask of Adaptation. It’s influence is still there in the top and eyes of the final design, so you can reasonably see it as a variant of the mask. I personally don’t: I think its strayed enough from that mask in the face and shaping of the back side to stand by itself, but you can take it that direction if you want to.

At the end of the day, whatever power the viewer sees in the mask is as equally valid of a direction as anyone else’s to me.

9 Likes

ngl that Kualus shoulder build lookin kinda familiar :thinking:

1 Like

Rothanok finished modeling Bomonga’s and it looks great!

8 Likes

I’m always stunned by how talented the 3D mask modelers are. So sleek yet tough-looking, great translation from 2d to 3d.

2 Likes

I’m working on pouks’ mask now, but its still kinda too flat
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.31.47 AM

9 Likes

I don’t care what’s supposed to be canon, this is what I want Bomonga and Pouks masks to look like. Especially that Bomonga mask. That’s canon to me.

pouks 2
Pouks mask can still be canon if someone uses it in the art and wins

9 Likes

I sure hope they do. Idk what their plans are, but if Perp3tual and Crunchy (I believe those are the people that made this entry, right?) made an updated art entry with the new stuff, I’d almost certainly vote for it because the art currently looks so phenomenal. And that way, that mask for Pouks could be canon too, which I’d love. It’s such a bummer that the Bomonga mask that won did because I’m not really the biggest fan especially because it’s based on the design of a mask that already exists.

2 Likes

Gaaki could use the bomonga mask as well technically

1 Like

That’s true but I think Bomonga’s mask is too flat and angular for Gaaki’s build

1 Like

Here’s the winners with Perp’s masks. The two models are from @Rothanak

13 Likes