Axato, Skull Raider of the Underworld

The newest character from Bionicle chapter book 3: Escape from the Underworld, Axato is described as a tall warrior with a large gem tipped staff.
This was an earlier MOC I had made before reading the book, but altered to more fit the character of Axato.

Minor spoilers ahead for chapter book 3.

He serves as the leader of the Skull Raiders while Kulta is away, and seems to be the second in command of the Skull army.

Nothing in the book describes him as having skeletal wings, however, nothing in the book states he does NOT have wings either. Ekimu logic.

Wings can retract as well.

Back view.

Some height comparisons as well. Umarak is still on top.

And finally, some action shots!

Hope you enjoyed my take on the new character.

27 Likes

He looks epic. With a body like that, what’s stopping him from dethroning Kulta? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The MOC is really good! I love the weapon I just wish those red pins didn’t stick out too much. On a side note wow, that’s a bunch of sets.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

It’s the red pins. The skull army doesn’t like him as much because of that.

4 Likes

i like him but the arms are so skinny they look out of place

1 Like

Awesome, I love the design of his staff and the way you used that crystal armor piece on it.

1 Like

Cool!!! Boy! I think I’m begining to like the new Bionicle sets. (not the story, the sets)
Those red pins!! Watch it, but keep up the good work

1 Like

It would be cool to see just a generic Skull Raider. But that Axato looks great, and I love that you posed him with Gali.

1 Like

Thank you all for the support :slight_smile:

As you can see, I bought two of each summer set for both years to build the combination models as well as the regular ones, because I have no self control.
All of my MOCing pieces are used from the leftovers from those, so I had no other option but to use the red pins. I tried to switch things up, but pretty much every idea I had ended up looking either worse than what I have there, or being way too over the top. Sometimes, less is better than more.

As for the arms being skinny, I could have added thicker lower arms, but wanted to have some sort of “skull villain” aesthetic aside from the mask, so I decided to just keep the bone arms :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I very cheap like this, and need to find the chapter and comic books.
They’re difficult for me to find, IDK why.

I like that you made the build similar to that of Kulta- it works well.

His legs could definitely benefit from having larger shells covering them, as the shorter ones make the legs look a little too skinny and spindly. I also think that the Skull Basher’s chestplate print would look better on this guy. However, that’s just my opinion, and the Quake Beast chestplate works fine as well.

Overall, could use some work, but looks cool for the most part.

I’ve got to say this looks pretty great.
Though it could use some more trans-purple.

Nice interpretation. Glad to see the Skull villains getting development by the story team and fan creations like this help with context while reading.