Bee - Hive Mechs - First Wave

Introduction

So as some of you may know, I submitted an entry to @Jayfa’s Plague Mech Moc contest (that you should all check out) and I created the Plague Mech Bee. Now this got me thinking, what if I could create more Mechs in different military roles and styles based off this Moc? A whole Hive of Bee Mechs. Then I got to thinking and creating a world with this in it separate from Jayfa’s canon. This isn’t a copy of Jayfa’s stuff it’s just going further with the ideas I had with my original Mech design.

So behold! The first 3 of my Hive Mechs!

Hive Mechs

The first wave of the Hive Mechs consists of 3 units, Stinger, Light trooper and Drone commander (middle, right, left).

##Stinger
The Stinger unit is the flagship unit of the Hive’s fleet, it is the most versatile Mech out of all the units available to the Hive. This updated unit has 2 Pole-N power cores like all Hive Mechs, one within the main body that powers the limbs and one at the ‘tailbone’ which powers external functions such as any wings or flight and weapons. The main core can be used to power the weapons in the event the secondary core is damaged, the secondary core is well protected for an obvious weak spot and the speed and engagements of the Hive Mechs usually reduce the severity of this.

This design is mostly the same aside from the changes to the original Plague Mech, being the tubing and back connector to the secondary core and changes to the colour scheme. In the Hive Mech canon, the Plague Mech was an earlier version of the Stinger.

Piece count: 1021

#drone Commander
The Drone commander is a unit designed to carry a large payload of drones with a fully service bay to maintain these drones, it carries a large drone bay on it’s back capable of supporting 6 drones. This bay can repair the drones outside of combat, in combat, the drones can be directed by the commander to perform reconnaissance or even combat as they each possess 2 miniature versions of standard impulse sting weapons. The Drone commander can carry 6 drones but can command up to 16 if they are available.

An interesting feature of this Mech is it’s legs, which are in fact longer than the Stinger unit’s, this is to carry the drone payload into battle as well as let it move with relative speed. Whilst it is still slower than a majority of all Hive Mechs, it is incapable of flight but is capable of booster-assisted jumps that it’s legs are capable of.

The small Bee drone units have 2 small stinger impulse weapons and a small Pole-N core, these drones are capable of flight and are usually deployed in swarms of at least 6. 3 of the bays are in the central hexagonal design, these are deployed as reserve units, any scouting operations are carried out by the external 3 drones.

The Drone commander unit comes with 4 weapons, 2 powered sting blades and 2 secondary missile pods. It is possible to augment the Drone commander with artillery unit weaponry, this is not pictured.

Piece count:
Drone Commander: 1309
Drone: 49

Light Trooper

The Light trooper is designed to be a unit that can be deployed in large numbers, essentially a smaller version of the Stinger unit, carrying similar weapons and power core. This unit however is slightly faster and more agile than it’s larger cousin but this is at the cost of slightly weaker weapons.

This unit is fitted with 2 sting blades and 2 impulse stinger weapons on the same arms, like all Hive Mechs, it has 2 additional arms for close quarters melee or manipulation and labour use.

This unit is capable of flight and it’s power source prioritizes flight over weapons, meaning this unit can fly longer proportionally to the Stinger, it has similar wing designs to the Stinger using the same ion-impulse wing jet system.

Piece count: 707

Conclusion

I really love this idea and I want to do more and I think I may do some individually but I’m still gonna group them up into these “waves”. I may also do some lore into these guys and the Hives. My ideas for the next few Hive Mechs are artillery, assassin, scout and sniper units.

Comments and criticisms are as always welcome! :smile:
If you have any other ideas for units, I’m open to suggestions

29 Likes

The yellow and black seem a bit chaotic. Maybe try to connect the stripes a bit more.

11 Likes

I may try in some sections like the torsos in V2s but the limbs seem ok to me. I dunno, I would make the stripes wrap around the limbs more but this removes the mech look in a couple of my test designs so I think it won’t be done around the limbs.

Again, I’m open to any new unit ideas :slight_smile:

You don’t have to wrap them around, but just give them a bit more order. When looking at real bees, most of the time they’re either majority yellow with black accents or vice versa, and they’re in large chunks. Looking at the mocs again, it might just be there are too many stripes.

2 Likes

Hmm, I think I get what you mean, basically have different segments strictly one colour?

The issue with that is that in some parts it’ll remove the detailing because of the way bluerender renders these, I may just try for less chaotic rather than too large a chunk.

1 Like

The over all concept looks nice, you thinking of making other insect themed Mechsuits like dragonflys mantis’s or maybe a Scarab

1 Like

No since that was the concept of Jayfa’s plaguemech contest, once I do some more bees I may do other hive mechs like ants or wasps but only once I do some more bees.

2 Likes

im sure they look good but the colour scheme gives me a visual headache

1 Like

I’m working on simplifying them a bit, I currently have exams so there’s not much I can do, but I’m primarily focusing on new classes of mech.

1 Like