big mech: Solar Storm

The Sky Guardian’s color scheme is a bit unfortunate: the white and yellow clash with each other and completely drown out the dark blue. So I threw out the white and added a lot more dark blue (and also a bit of yellow) and I present to you a big robot battle machine which I call Solar Storm!

I also looked at the instructions for some recent big Lego mecha and thought, “I can do better!” So this model has ratcheted knee joints for stability, but ball jointed ankles for poseability. There’s also a big Technic turntable between the upper torso and the hips.

The friction in the ankles is increased by a mechanism similar to Bionicle giants, and I’m baffled Lego aren’t doing this in their own mecha. It’s still not quite enough to securely hold the model up on one foot when the center of gravity isn’t perfectly aligned. I think I need to invest in some CCBS friction sockets.
Anyway here’s a picture of a leg without armor:

The knee can bend by a full 90°. The hip can go 30° back and also inward, and even almost 45° out!

19 Likes

Ooh this mech moc looks pretty cool! It looks a bit bare in some places - particularly the upper arms and lower torso - but overall it’s a neat build.

2 Likes

I like that you went to the trouble of stabilizing the body and adding posability. Sometimes that extra beef can subtract from the visual aesthetic, but that isn’t the case here. I’ve never seen the set you based this on but if this were available on a shelf, I’d definitely put some money into it.

10/10!

2 Likes

oh wow
this looks really cool!
i love da colors!

2 Likes

Yes. All the yes. This not only looks awesome, but the posability is fantastic and works well with the aesthetic. And the name makes it even cooler!

I may or may not have to steal/modify that leg design for Exo-Force MOCs down the line. =P

4 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words!

I think there’s a conflict of styles going on here. The legs are very bulky because they’re based on the way Lego currently build their large mecha. The arms are built more like actual Exo-Force models, especially from the first two years, which had very skimpy armor on their upper limbs.
The reason I built it this way is I ran out of dark blue pieces XD

The sword and wings and thrusters are from the Sky Guardian I mentioned, the lower legs are stolen from Zane’s Titan Mech, and everything else is from my brain.
Sky Guardian
Zane's Titan Mech

If you do, make sure to put three Knights Kingdom joints per hip, not just two like I did. The running pose was very instable.

4 Likes