Bionicle 2015's "Atmosphere"

*Cacboo sorry.

1 Like

I’m on your side @Cordak_the_Last_Makuta, a few frames of dark/thundery imagery does little to impact the overall tone of the episode. IMO, the tone isn’t dark, but is more like a mythical legend or an epic tale being told around a fire or something. It feels…like a “grand” adventure story… if you know what I mean, not mysterious.

6 Likes

Anywho, I think the WHOLE atmosphere of Bionicle is okay for now, but for the skull villains I kinda think isn’t innovative like the Bohrok, Vahki, or the fan-favorite Piraka. To me they don’t convey the whole mythical/sci-fi feeling, you know there just…well skeletons, sure. But until they give good back story’s and world building, I’ll just be iffy about them.

1 Like

“Very dark, much serious”

14 Likes

I think the Skullies were meant to be a homage to the original “voodoo heads” idea that Lego had during the developpement of Bionicle. The overall look of the Skull villains with their flashy colours and horns and spikes are similar to native Indian body paint and their animal bone accessories.

9 Likes

Yeah, I can see that.

5 Likes

I “Toatally” See what your saying, personally I think Bone Heads Of Voodoo Island was pretty cool. It kinda but doesn’t really suck that it never went through. But at least we have bionicle.

2 Likes

So I compiled all the videos for the 2015 Winter Wave of Bionicle animations. What do you guys think of them?

Pros: The artstyle and some panoramic shots are really good.

Cons: Voice acting, cheesy dialogue, too short.

The Atmosphere is there, just the dang voice acting puts you off. I would have liked it if it was more mute like the Samurai Jack Episodes usually tended to be, but get real voice actors to do the small lines when needed.

7 Likes

Fresh as the morning dew!
(fresh in like swegness).

The Boneheads were abominations and it is a blessing that they never came to fruition.

I’m gonna have to disagree if you’re also talking about skull waddler, blockhead, sledgehammer dude, and MMA boxing tank machine.

9 Likes

But… What if the skull villains are the boneheads? What if they were inspired by them, or the name of the group literally is the boneheads?

4 Likes

i take it you meant the Voodoo Heads?

2 Likes

Boneheads of Voodoo Island, is the name.

1 Like

oh

ok

1 Like

'Fraid I’m still not seeing the appeal there, but I agree with you elsewhere.

I take it you’re not a fan of TransFormers: Animated then?

Actually I loved that show, but more for the story and characters. Also, at least that animation knew how to shade things properly and create the illusion of depth.

Nooot seeing it. :confused:

6 Likes

Tahu still looks like a flat piece of cardboard, but I’m referring more to stuff like this:

or
http://i.imgur.com/GuKR2sr.png

It just looks off. Heck, it’s not even just the shading. The latter image goes to some pretty hilarious lengths to try and add depth with the shot, but it’s so sloppily done it looks like their legs shrank. I hesitate to say it’s Pat-Lee-bad, but I still find it very unappealing. The shading in Animated looks at least marginally smoother. I can look at them and say “Yeah, there seems to be a third dimension there.” The 2015 animations never give me that vibe, especially when they’re in motion. Don’t even get me started on those gaps in the joints. I don’t care what kind of stylistic purpose they’re supposed to serve, they look downright lazy.

5 Likes