BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

#Toa Image Reviews

My problems with the Toa are mostly thematic, though one of my main disappointments (which is reflected in all of the Toa) is their lack of weapon dual-functionality and generally, in several cases, their weird weapons.

The chest pieces, being one whole part, do no justice to the colour distribution of these sets, however they do a better job at covering the body and some of the Toa’s printing helps to negate this issue.

Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait and see if the new gear function was worth moving to the lower half of the torso. The new positioning is probably why half of the Toa have two-handed weapons: try picturing yourself repeatedly beating on a guy with one-handed swords by only turning your waist. Yeah, doesn’t feel very effective, does it? I definitely haven’t seen that done in movies.

I’m really glad they’re moving towards a more custom building system. Technic sets were far more fun to build. However, you can start to see how that complexity makes the sets look a bit less ‘polished’ (open pins, limited armour coverage, etc.). Whether complexity excuses the flaws CCBS was intended to eliminate is up to you.

#Kopaka
As I’ve said before, Kopaka’s design has strayed away from a theme that I think they nailed for 2015 (bulky, snow-coat-like armour), but I’m glad he has less gold.

#Pohatu
I quite enjoyed Pohatu before listening to the podcast and noticing his flaws. My main problem with him is his weapon: he is supposed to be a strong, agile Toa. So why does he have a ridiculous spear-flail thing? It’s not practical at all.
ADDITIONALLY, if you compare Pohatu with Gali, you can see that he lacks a ‘rotary’ piece (circled faintly on Gali’s spear) in between his hands on the spear. It is instead located on the flail, which is useless, which means he (unlike Gali) has no articulation in the weapon. This could have easily been avoided.

When I saw the initial leaks and noticed the gears on Pohatu’s ‘backside’, I got excited because I thought that meant he might have a gear function on his legs again. This would have been a brilliant way to give him the uniqueness he’s been lacking lately when compared to other sets.
The main upside to Pohatu is his mask, which is my personal favourite from this year.

The dirty brown colour on his body is another issue in itself. I think someone said earlier that the mesh of dull and bright colours makes him look barbaric, which is a cool thematic choice but I don’t think it was executed well if this was the case. I hope those trans-green knees are a rendering error.

When LEGO come to the conclusion once again that brown sets aren’t selling well, it won’t be because of their colour.

#Tahu
My only major problem with Tahu is his weapons: I understand how they work but all the images we’ve been getting show them ‘splayed out’ and gappy, which isn’t warranted for the sake of an extra function.
I don’t have a problem with his excess of gold but his upper legs are poorly armoured.
WAIT. How could I forget? HIS MASK. WHAT IS WITH THE GREY. HE LOOKS LIKE AN OLD MAN.

All the other sets seem to pull off the ‘grey hair’ kind of well all things considered, but Tahu? I’m afraid that, if I built him, I’d be subjected to his endless monologues about times when he still had all of his faculties.

#Onua
There’s almost nothing wrong with Onua except for his weird shoulder pieces. Kopaka’s 2015 shoulder pieces would have worked well here, I think.

Even Onua has a rotary piece on his hammer, unlike Pohatu. I really feel like they just gave up with Pohatu this year.

#Lewa
Lewa’s mask is my second favourite. It’s a real improvement from the weird ‘plated’ style of 2015.
I’m really disappointed that they didn’t retain some sort of weapon that acts secondarily for flying. Lewa’s weapons this year are downright weird, and I suspect they will spin about with every chance they get.

My main thematic issue with this set is the excess of silver, since Lewa is a Toa of Jungle (an organic element) - silver ( a metallic colour) doesn’t mesh well with this theme, though I think it does work well from a completely artistic point of view (the silver of his mask works really well here).

#Gali
I don’t have a problem with Gali’s spear, except for the impractical keychain thing attached to the end. Its similarity to Pohatu’s begs the question of whether they just gave up designing a new weapon for him.
Another really good mask design, whose silver ‘hair’ works kind of well.
I’m not too fond of the armour asymmetry but I think I can live with it. I think it would only take a few pieces to fix that, anyway.

Uploading…
Another well-rounded set with no more than a few flaws.

#Final Thoughts
The revived complexity of Bionicle sets is getting me very excited for the coming year. The sets display great improvements but also great flaws. However, drawing conclusions is unwise until we have them for ourselves.

Don’t take my opinions as fact, as the best reviews come from hands-on experience. If anyone receives the sets early, I’d appreciate if you could tell me whether my opinions are reflected in the sets themselves.

-Hazash-

4 Likes

No Umarak? Btw nice review, it’s always a pleasure to read some.

Now I’m wishing all the creatures had gold masks, so you could swap out creatures on your toa

1 Like

Not a bad idea, it would fix the color clashing issue the smaller sets have. (however I still wished we had gotten silver masks)

2 Likes

I appreciate the comment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Contrary to the popular opinion I like the silver masks on the gold better than the gold on gold. Not only is silver a more useful color, but when combined it actually looks like a helmet or pelt. The gold creature masks just look like they form an awkwardly shaped golden head.

To be honest I was expecting it to look a lot worse than from what I’ve seen. Gold and silver don’t necessarily clash, just look at Ekimu’s sheild.

3 Likes

What’s your definition of “useful color”? LOL
Btw, I think putting Creatures Heads on regular Masks solves most of the problems and that’s what I’m gonna do.

Well, a color that can have wider use on multiple color schemes. These are usually the “dull” or neutral colors of black, grey, silver, gunmetal, etc.

Just to be clear useful does not always equal beautiful in my book.

That’s what I’m definitely going to do with the the larger Toa, but for the smaller I think I’ll keep the gold mask when combined.

2 Likes

Silver is a really usefull color for MOCs that use armor, or want to look robotic in a clasic way, sortof. It also fits nicely with almost every other color without clashing too much, at least to me.

@TheEsquire while I HATED the moving mouths, Everything else looked a lot better than TLR and Hero factory animation style.

Speak for yourself. The movie trilogy characters looked pretty ugly what with their moving mouths and eyebrows on masks.

7 Likes

why do people dislike the end of gali’s spear. it’s not meant as a weapon it’s there to look nice.

2 Likes

Cause Jewelry Jewlwery Jewelry Fancy fancy, next year Gali is going to be filled with Rings and earings I suppose :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I would argue that in fact is perfect for him, quick strikes with the blade, heavy swing with the flail. plus it matches the whole ‘wastelander’ thing he has going.

5 Likes

OK, for all you saying it’s an impractical weapon, you forget one crucial thing…
POHATU
CONTROLS
ROCKS.
Not only does he have a spear-sword, (which is an awesome weapon) but that rock on the end can be moved with his mind to clobber anyone in his way. To him, that rock is completely weightless. You all saw how he chucked that boulder in the animations, his description on bionicle.com says he can lift rocks effortlessly and he has the mask of stone. This weapon is impractical for other toa, but for a toa of stone, it’s perfect.

8 Likes

Silver and Gold?

If you want to, you can. I keep a compilation of all of my fanart here.

26 Likes

You and @Payinku make good points, however you have to also consider how the set looks in a completely visual sense. Just because it makes sense canonically, it doesn’t mean it makes sense on the set without background knowledge of the character.

Suppose a set had an upturned ice cream cone on its head, you’d be a bit confused by it if you didn’t know it’s how the character keeps cool… That was an awful analogy… Never mind… My point still stands, though I do agree with you in a way.

I just want to make sure everyone knows that it’s possible to separate Pohatu’s “spear” so that he uses the flail in one hand and has a staff in another.

Seriously though, If Tahu can combine his swords into a spear, then Pohatu can take apart his spear and have a flail and staff.

8 Likes

PRAISE THE LORD

Wait, can Tahu combine his swords?

Yup, He’s a rahkshi

2 Likes

Yep. seems to be the thing.