BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

I’m sure I’ve seen concept art with a ‘2012’ mark on it for the G2 line… may have been mistaken.

With the media, i think from what it seems, they’ve got a bunch of people who are actually trying to do the best for the line such as Ryder Wilhelm and Merlin P. Mann - and they are the people who are trying to make sure everything is good and that the fans enjoy it.

However the general thing from Lego seems to be to make it as generic as possible, from comments I’ve heard, such a in the Ryder Wilhelm interview when (paraphrased via comments form a TTV member) “Lego wanted him to just call the Protectors by their set names such as ‘Protector of Fire’.”

Similar thing with the sets, we’ve got lots of good concept artists and good designers - but it seems Lego is preventing them from going all-out with the parts or pieces or price range the sets really need.

8 Likes

Which again, is a huge shame. They could be making amazing sets and get money off of it. They could have more advertisement and stuff. It would be awesome.

5 Likes

It seems like in G1 the fans killed bionicle because they were taking the line for granted and just did not buy the sets. But now it seems like Lego is killing Bionicle because they keep trying to push the line away from its full potential.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’m reading this right, but I wouldn’t say bringing back Bionicle was detrimental to Lego, let alone for no reason. Heck, I enjoyed these two years and anticipate the summer and 2017 waves. I know Lego doesn’t do much for G2, but it’s still a nice story and I apprecate what we have. I will say that I still have small hopes that Bionicle will surpass its “expiration date”, but in case they don’t, I have thoroughly enjoyed G2.

4 Likes

I don’t regret G2. In fact, I almost love G2 more than G1 because of certain aspects. I’m not sure how I’d take the line ending after only a three year run though. There’s just so much potential, and I wanted more than anything to see a brand new Toa team made by the G2 designers.

12 Likes

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not, but I think the “Two-Toa” combiners are designed to be the upgraded versions of Tahu and Kopaka to combat with their respective elemental beasts.

First, their choices of which Toa to combine together seem to get along with what some considered to be the combination of element for the beasts.
Lava beast = fire + stone = Tahu + Pohatu
Storm beast = ice + water = Kopaka + Gali
(Quake beast = earth + jungle = Onua + Lewa ?)

Second, these combiners were designed to have Tahu and Kopaka as the prominent features with Pohatu and Gali being only additional parts and armors, making them look more like upgraded $20 Toa rather than actual fusions of the two. And guess whose corrupted masks the beasts come with?

Finally, this might be a bit of a strech, but since it is now confirmed that Lava beast could fly, guess which of the Two-Toa have the wing-like add-on. Yep, it’s Tahu combiner, the character shown to battle the Lava Beast.

I’m not saying these combiners are gonna be canon upgrade storywise, but I just think they were designed for kids to rebuild their Toa to battle their respective Beasts, encouraging them to play with last wave’s Toa when the Beasts are out. If this is true, we might even get manual for the Onua+Lewa combiner later this year. I mean, Quake Beast need to fight with someone, right?

EDIT: I also have a thought about the state of Okoto before and after the Great Cataclysm I (kinda necro-) posted in 2015 topic and didn’t received many responds, which this topic might be more suitable since the theory involve the Creatures which appeared the year. So I’ll post it here again.

3 Likes

so… in a way, this is how you feel?

im a bit more causious about doing something like this, because i don’t know how people would react to it.

anyway, no matter what happends with Bionicle, i know that i will blame one theme, in the same way other people blamed one theme for the “seemingly” canselation of a theme they liked: Nexo Knight.

Yes, i still do not like it story wise. Toy wise its a meh from me.

…How does Nexo Knights affect BIONICLE in any way? BIONICLE existed an entire year before Nexo Knights was released, but sales were still (presumably) not that great in 2015–despite Nexo Knights not even existing.

9 Likes

People just bash on Nexo Knights because of jealousy, tbh.

6 Likes

I love Nexo Knights, but BIONICLE and Nexo Knights have very different audiences. I’d say the only thing Nexo Knights has that I’m jealous of are the nexo powers, which is pretty much the concept of mask powers, and is just as (if not more) complex. If Nexo Knights can have different powers attributed to collectable items, why can’t BIONICLE? BIONICLE was started out with such simplicity last year, while Nexo Knights was arguably quite complex from the get-go. BIONICLE has grown a lot this year, but it’s still odd that they’d make the first year so bare-bones and simple in terms of items and powers (a big draw for young boys) does what, when compared to Nexo Knights with its complex powers and attributes that the shield abilities can bring.

Also, part of me wonders if putting the 2016 sets into the action figure isle might be a lot more helpful to its sales. LEGO sets attract a different type of customer than an action figure set. In fact, back in G1 every store around me would display them in the action figure isle. That’s how I found them in 2001. Before that I was really big into Transformers and things of that nature. It may not seem like it, but strategic product placement is KEY

5 Likes

i cant follow nexo knights its 2 complex :c they should cancel it

/s

But seriously though why are they putting more effort into a new theme as opposed to something that has proven itself successful in the past?

5 Likes

people just ignore the dislike, because of foolishness.

the same way people shrug off any negative opinion by making the negative persion look like a ignorant fool, who’s opinion does not matter.

seriously, i do not like it when people brush away my opinions and make me feel like im a fool who is not only wrong, but a fool who likes something everyone else hate with every fiber in their body.

apparently because it contains all of the things kids love: Knights, advanced technology, demons, magic, and of course humans that people can identify with.

1 Like

No actually they don’t. The people that I’ve seen bashing on Nexo Knights are complaining on how stupid and annoying the tv series and suffers from childishness. It’s just like Chima, good sets but lacking in good execution of story.

Now to get back on topic did we ever get any actual numbers on hero factory sales? No I don’t think we did. Hero Factory lasted for 5 years and I’m pretty sure it didn’t do all that well yet somehow it lasted 5 years. I wouldn’t worry too much until we get confirmation that bionicle is ending

5 Likes

Because audiences change.

That’s part of it, yes. But I’d say a large majority of complainers on this site are complaining because Nexo Knights has had a much large marketing campaign, while Bionicle hasn’t, hence the jealousy.

3 Likes

when I look at g2 I see

I just they would let make some other company make a game for it. and not stupid mobile trash. but a big AAA game.

12 Likes

Tahu’s legs look oddly short without the extenders in his hips.

All of this talk about wasted potential and LEGO not giving it any marketing and cutting down on everything…

Now you know how us HF fans feel.

Sure sucks, doesn’t it.

9 Likes

Eh, there certainly was and is potential, but again I’m not gonna say G2 was a total waste. I’m happy Bionicle at least got a new story, and the lore this time around is as interesting as G1 in my opinion. Really, I think we’re just waiting for summer and then leaks, because there isn’t much else to talk about, but I’ve actually enjoyed this so far.

2 Likes