BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Cough like the trans melded Kopaka mask cough

But I doubt they will try to redeem Umarak. If they did they would have to remake him as a good guy set, and that would be alot of Umaraks all in a short period of time.

6 Likes

At the same time, they can’t kill off Umarak, because he is shadow incarnate. He’ll probably just go back to hunting and being a third party. But I could see Ekimu dying.

2 Likes

That’s likely, but with how much love they’ve put into Umarak’s character, and the very fact that Umarak doesn’t WANT to do what he’s being forced to do, I think that the most interesting direction would be for Umarak to be the one saved here. Out of all of the Toa and even Ekimu, Umarak is the one who would have the strongest personal vendetta against Makuta. For the Toa, Makuta is some evil guy they’ve heard about in stories. For Ekimu, Makuta is his poor brother who got carried away and ended up being controlled by his desires (it’s funny to think that the MoUP is literally a metaphor of Makuta’s desires controlling him).

If we were ever to add another “hero” onto the team rather than bringing back someone like Takanuva or creating a new “knight in shining armor”, I’d actually prefer it to be Umarak. He’s pretty much the opposite of everything the Toa value, and yet I think putting him in a spot where he has to grow and adapt to these new ideologies in his own way and in the end help take down someone he has a vendetta against would be pretty spectacular. It’d be fun to watch someone so malicious become something more noble, with a little bit of those twisted habits of his still lingering and present in how he operates as a “good guy”.

Edit: On another note, it’d be pretty amusing to see him take the place of Ekimu. Umarak has lived since the beginning of time, so he technically knows a lot more, and might be able to mentor them further than Ekimu would have.

6 Likes

At the same time, though, would the Okotans be OK with this?

1 Like

No, which means Umarak would have to prove himself to the okotoans, and possibly sacrifice himself to defeat Makuta.

sadly the chances of this happening are like 0.000001% of 0.00000001%

4 Likes

They don’t have to be okay with it. I wouldn’t see Umarak as being a permanent part of the team anyway, it’d just be a one-off partnership I think. He would grow to have mutual respect for the Toa and just leave them alone after Makuta is defeated most likely

5 Likes

I think what I’d really like to see from Umarak is the realization that shadow and the other elements all need each other in order to keep balance in the world, and that he hasn’t been serving his true purpose all along. I’d even like to see the creatures and Umarak create a counsel for Okoto, one that reminds the Okotans of what’s important and makes sure that ancient knowledge and balance between all elements remains intact.

5 Likes

I don’t really see Umarak working with the Toa in the near future.

Aside from the fact that he’s a ruthless killer who has tried to harm the Toa and their Creatures on multiple occasions, I don’t think the writers would go that direction in his character growth. It would mean extensively developing his character toward redemption, carefully writing his interactions with Toa, and avoiding any confusion the target audience may have.

I can see him striking Makuta on his own if he ever regains freedom, revenge is a pretty good motivator. I just don’t think he would work alongside the Toa. I mean, he doesn’t even seem to like his Shadow Traps working with him. Dude’s got some major work to do on his social skills.

7 Likes

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

7 Likes

Which is sad, because it would’ve been an interesting plot twist.

5 Likes

The USA thought that in WWII with Russia.

Look where that went.

10 Likes

Not all phrases are universal for every situation, but Umarak would want Makuta dead. Regardless of whether he’d join the Toa or not (that’s a whole different debate), he’d want Makuta’s head on a pike. Whether it be on his own or with the Toa, something tells me he’d use and manipulate our heroes to whatever extent his plans required. Why would Umarak try and take on Makuta without using the innocent unsuspecting and easily manipulable delinquents around him?

2 Likes

Here’s the thing, though: you presume Umarak isn’t going to be led to his death with the Mask of Control on.

Personally I find the mask to be a collectible, something to make people want the Ekimu set as a bonus. G2 has done that a good amount of times.

Personally, I think he’s going to die under Makuta’s control. If Makuta is smart, he’d know not to leave Umarak alive. He could probably force Umarak to suck and get killed.

2 Likes

Considering that Umarak is to shadow as the creatures are to their respective elements, killing off Umarak could be devastating, and might result in the destruction of everything, even Makuta. Also, you’re giving Makuta too much credit. You’re assuming that third party wouldn’t be able to challenge his plan to destroy Umarak, but Makuta has no physical form. If someone were to take the Mask of Control from Umarak, Makuta wouldn’t be able to do anything about it afterward.

1 Like

Except Makuta wouldn’t die, at all.

He’s not even connected to the creatures. OR Umarak.

And the creatures would actually have easier lives and Okoto would be a peace. Since, you know, Umarak disrupts the elemental creatures.

Why is Umarak being alive good again?

Not really. A lot of these theories, if anything, revolve around potential story-lines, but something about the end of the 2015 animations with the face of Makuta looking over Okoto suggested to me that Makuta is in control of everything.

While I hope Umarak lives and continues to develop, I’m not sure. After all, his transformations seems more permanent. I think he may be destroyed, but I hope not.

1 Like

Except it wouldn’t. You disturb the balance, and everything goes into disarray. You kill Akida? Water evaporates forever. You kill Uxar? Say goodbye to plant life. You kill Umarak? Then you’d never have shade or shadow again, and you can’t have something without nothing, if shadow is nothing, then destroying nothing would get rid of something. It would all be one big reset switch for the universe in G2.

5 Likes

Destroy nothing.

So I’m not going to destroy anything.

Gotcha.

2 Likes

You’re not looking at this from the perspective that the world is set up with. The elements are a real thing in G2, they’re actual mystical driving forces. There is a balance, like yin and yang. You get rid of the yin, and the yang will also cease to function. This isn’t meant to be fully explainable like everything was in G1. In G1 everything had a weird logic to it, but in G2 everything is a lot more fantasy-like. You just have to accept that in this world things like elemental forces and balance are actual tangable things.

3 Likes

Or, I dunno, the “yang” becomes the more dominant force.

I get what you are saying, but from what I’ve seen Lego do for it’s storytelling, it’s not gonna work.

1 Like