BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Like the TTV cast said, that is incredible out of context. There were a bunch of comments just like that related to other themes and such and Lego replied the EXACT same way.

3 Likes

I think the whole “there is too much G1 lore for kids to learn so the story can never be continued” is kind of a straw man argument.

Nobody is saying G2 should have tried to teach kids about G1; they are saying it should have been set in the set in the same continuity as G1, using some of the same characters etc.

It’s like how The Hobbit is a free-standing story from the Lord of the Rings. You don’t need to know what happens in the former to understand the latter, even though one continues the overarching story of the other. (eg. It’s fine to celebrate Bilbo’s eleventy-first birthday in LOTR without the book telling you the names of the dwarves he once travelled with.)

If done properly, G2 could have continued G1’s story without needing new fans to pick up any pre-2015 story material, because not all stories have to start with the beginning of the universe and then list off every detail that’s happened since.

If anything, the existence of ten years of relevant backstory / comics / online games about G2’s characters may have given new fans something to stick around for, rather than them drifting away after they had watched the whole year’s content in 15 minutes… I certainly can’t imagine it could have made G2 end any sooner!

10 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, personally I find no problem in uncovering past plots and stories in a franchise, it’s what got me invested into G1 actually. However, Lego as a company takes a different view regarding this topic since it is much easier (and more profitable on balance of probability) to start from scratch; they likely completely rebooted Bionicle because of that hanging doubt that G1’s lore would be too much for kids to take in; their stance on G2’s story execution corroborates my point.

That aside, I still believe restarting the G1 storyline from the exact point where it concluded wouldn’t be the altogether best move, as most of the story arcs were not all that smoothly redirected to an abrupt conclusion in the wake of G1’s cancellation. If you ask me, the best way in which G2’s storyline could be executed would be if it began with the events of the 2009 storyline, the Glatorian, the arrival of Mata Nui, and then progressed down the path Greg originally had planned for 2010 and the 5th Bionicle movie. Thus, we could, through Mata Nui’s journeys, gradually rediscover the Matoran Universe of G1 while keeping things interesting for newer fans (with G1 content of course being made readily available for those who wished to understand everything about Bionicle, in a sense like the Silmarillion).

8 Likes

Its like making a Sonic game, you can experiment all you want but ultimetly the best formula is one made and understood by fans (Sonic Mania). As said it can be applied to Bionicle and all the story decisions regarding it.

No wonder it didnt do well, they didnt cover even all the basics of why the theme was sucessful in the first place (aka why people liked it). Its like LEGO didnt even create the original Bionicle or even have the source material about the development of it. How on earth with all the jumpstart they had they screwed up royaly?

Its definitely not the kids and the generation gaps fault, its LEGOs fault for not researching their own theme and adapting almost everything good about it in the next generation.

Why is it that people praise the figures and artwork/artstyle, cause its the closests to that formula of researching the past while adapting for a new situation, the rest was a jumbled experiment that just harmed the brand.

I actually really like that idea.

5 Likes

That being said, I did enjoy the way they rebooted the story. To me, it gave me the same feeling the earlier years of Bionicle gave me, and I enjoyed the new characters and the way they changed the story.
Now, the story has a lot of plot-holes, there’s no denying that. However, for one reason or another, I am invested in what’s been given. The Toa arriving in comets instead of canisters, the element of Jungle replacing Air, Makuta being a Mask Maker, even the Skull Raiders. What they’ve tried to do with the story is really interesting to me, and really inspired me to see how they can work without the flaws the canon has, even if it’s affected by my personal taste. This theme introduces concepts that I thought made little appearance in G1: Conquering armies, necromancy, the island itself emitting elemental energy.
What I’m saying is although I like these ideas of how the story could’ve been, I do appreciate what the team was trying to do with their story and how much they wanted it to be as good as G1. They seem like fans of the line and wanted to reflect that in G2.

8 Likes

All these issues we’ve had with G2 have already been laid out for us to see. It’s pretty simple. Marketing, not having consistent canon, not allowing writers to have much breathing room, subpar summer sets, etc.

I still like G2 for what it was, but gosh they trashed it and destroyed it. They gave us a horrible ending. I feel bad myself for refusing to see the signs of the cancellation sooner. (Doesn’t mean those who DID have to brag and call us all idiots, like I’m sure a few did.)

I appreciated the sets and some of the cool lore elements though. Too bad they ruined it.

I’m definitely open for a G3 though, as long as they actually improve the marketing and storytelling.

6 Likes

Well, I don’t feel G2 was altogether ruined. And I feel a G3 wouldn’t be much better if it actually happened.

I’m ok with the concept of a G3.

I just want them to wait a few years since any kid who wasn’t aware G2 ever ended is gonna be confused as snot.

Moreover this is a great time for lego to go back and redecide what made the first Bionicle so good and use that to improve on the things that G2 did well.

My ideal G3 would simply be one that builds upon the foundations of both gens and learns from both of their mistakes.

If Lego does that I’d be a very happy power armored dude.

6 Likes

Guys, you’re missing the point.
They’re clearly going to reboot Hero Factory next year, that’s what they’re teasing

4 Likes

Even if you didnt mention it as a joke, there is no indication of such a thing happening.

2 Likes

inb4 it’s galidor

2 Likes

Everybody calm the heck down. Lego already confirmed the surprise was video game related (so probably not Bionicle) and Bzpower posted this recently:

Not sure why everyone started acting like G3 was confirmed, but hopefully this resolves everything.

Into good news, Bzpower also just got their art book in mail so scans coming soon!!!

10 Likes

Yeah I think it’s just that BrickHeadz VR game that they accidentally released early.

2 Likes

This has been said before, but there seems to be some confusion about the artbook going online digitally. As stated in the BS01 open letter, LEGO will be supplying BS01 with a high quality digital version to be uploaded on their site, not a scan, but the original version.

Anyways, you guys are in for a treat, I had a flip through earlier this week and it is pretty sweet!

18 Likes

Hey! Thanks man! Always nice to here from you. I actually didn’t know that A Lego was going to be giving out a digital version, any info on when that’ll be?

1 Like

I am not 100% sure, I think some time after the Makuta contest winners receive theirs. Should not be long now.

10 Likes

Gasp what could it be? Is it the Art Book, the story bible, or am I thinking to hard about this. I bet it’s number 3.

This is about the art book! Before this gets out of hand. : p

8 Likes

welp, R.I.P Bionicle G3, you didnt even had a chance to start

1 Like