BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

I quite like the traps using the IFB beast heads

2 Likes

i wonder what this image from the artbook is suppost to mean though

5 Likes

Wow, that’s freaking brutal. If we were to rewrite the G2 story using the concept art they gave us, A Pohatu would be the death to spur the Toa into actually having an emotionally invested reason to fight (it also gives Ekimu a reason to become the Toa of Light).

Anyway, the concept art really breathes life into Okoto and its characters. I really wish we could’ve gotten comics in this exact artstyle, with this exact tone (okay, maybe not the brutal Pohatu death, but I love the atmosphere). Just by looking at the concept art you can tell the designers were taking this all VERY seriously. Seems to me like corporate LEGO doesn’t like serious though, so the team couldn’t tell the story they wanted to tell.

5 Likes

Hnnnng, the Mask of Control looked so much better in the concept art, down to the horn shapes. (Heck, if they filled up the upper part the horns and the lower jaw area would still look better than the released versions).

6 Likes

5/9/14
I find it interesting how the creatures were already being designed all the way back in 2014, around the time we discovered that Bionicle was coming back.

I know that G2 had been planned for a few years prior to its release in 2015, but I still find it quite interesting.

5 Likes

Surprisingly, Scorpio looks nicer with the Skull Spider mask (with added mandibules)

15 Likes

Whew, wasn’t prepared for the concept blues. Lots of great stuff here that I wish was used like the Uniter and Creature concepts. The landscape portraits are very beautiful too.

This image in particular is very interesting. It’s placed at the end of the villain concepts and it doesn’t seem to fit any of the other concept stage in the book. It’s obviously not for 2015, and if it was for 2016 there’s no creatures. It all follows a Water/Lightning theme compared to 2016’s Jungle or Doomsday themes. The bad guy here is also pretty different from any Umarak variations, and since the bear trap minions seemed to be an early concept it doesn’t really explain the copter-minions. Even Tahu looks way more different than any other picture. With the MoUP placed in the background and the lack of resemblance to any other year, I think this could have actually been a concept to 2017.

18 Likes

It looks a bit more Asiatic based compared to the rest, plus with the “humans?” in the image, this looks like it was trying to make the Bionicle character look more like they are giant mechs.

Given how large they are compared to the humans, it might be possible.

2 Likes

Or, more like Ninjagoes. How appropriate.

PS: The artbook is published by Makuta Prints, I smell a conspiracy!

1 Like

Another interesting thing with the picture. The small brown dudes definitely look pretty human. Could be placeholders perhaps, or something else entirely.

The twist of G2 would be that Bionicle was real

1 Like

Now I have to say this, SOMEBODY START MOCING THESE, I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE!!!

2 Likes

FULL ARTBOOK

8 Likes

Tahu looks awesome in molten and black, especially with the cape. Also, “Monster Hunter” and “Elemental”. So, 2016 was meant to be a “monster-hunter” year, definitely looked like something from Monster Hunter.

1 Like

We could totally remake that guy! Please someone do it!

FULL AWESOMNESS

That is Onua Mata! Gen 1 connection to Gen 2 confirmed! /s?

3 Likes

I wonder if the Toa lost their elemental power at a certain point, maybe when Kulta overpowered them? That would be interesting. The Toa have to find these creatures to regain elemental power.

Only one problem, the colors are reverse on the sword.

Oh, all the missed potentials

Kaboom-arang > Storm-arang

5 Likes

I love the style they use for all of the art! Also, at one point in the book, they said two things that bug me. “Iconic villains” and “ever-expanding universe”. The only cool villain we really got was Umarak, and Bionicle sure isn’t expanding anymore, lol. Still though, I really, really love the art.

1 Like

It still can in the possible future. :wink:

1 Like

A future in the trash can of forgotten LEGO themes.

PS: Biosector01 Released a more detailed Artbook scan (120 MB) than what BZP did (25MB).

1 Like