BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Meh, I don’t mind all the textures. I do like how smooth CCBS was, but I do like these textures, too. They’re just a little too inconsistent, that’s all.

7 Likes

Four pieces do not balance make, unfortunately. The torso is a much larger piece, and takes up the predominant focus of that area. The side pieces don’t do much to help balance out that aesthetic, just enforce the issue that’s now present due to the inclusion of this new design.

2 Likes

You know what? Might as well concede. I’ll agree that the design is inconsistent and the set does look cluttered. I just got angry when people were saying a lot of bad things when having the set in hand and worried that I wouldn’t enjoy the set as much as I thought, so I was making excuses for the set’s flaws. You have more experience with Bionicle sets than me, a person who just think the sets look cool. I still like the 2016 sets despite the inconsistencies and design flaws and will still purchase them. It was a fun debate.

4 Likes

I swear we were more excited about these sets before we got finalized pics…

I’m good with “greebles”, it’s what I asked for.

4 Likes

What you prefer is completely up to you, and I hope I didn’t come off as claiming you were wrong in liking it. If you like it and you enjoy the set, more power to you! I apologize if I came off as down putting. And yeah, it twas fun indeed.

5 Likes

yeah, pretty much this for me

2 Likes

Not at all, in fact, I learned a lot. I wasn’t really the one for analyzing things. In fact, I apologize for sounding like I wanted to convince you that you (of all people) were wrong.

Oh no, don’t worry about it! Debate is perfectly healthy, and I really enjoyed it.

It’s actually kind of funny, because I released a video discussing this very topic on Vessel today, comparing the two designs. Odd how things work out like that. XD

6 Likes

Couldn’t be a better time. I feel good about this year. Even if it isn’t as good as the last, it would make 2017 even more exciting nevertheless.

2 Likes

Well, Terak seems very cute, although I don’t like the lack of eyes tho…
Tahu’s, well, it was never my favorite set of this wave so… Yeah, I’ll let it pass.
As for the topic of the textures, I agree that they seem to be too cluttered, its just too much and not that justifiable IMO, I never liked this new torso armor because of the excessive amount of ‘greebles’ I mean, seriously, why so many piston’s!?.
Anyways, its nice to have reviews incoming and in hand photos :smiley:

1 Like

IDK what it is, but I don’t mind the textures

also I’m gonna wait to pass judgement (for myself) on the sets, I gotta have them in hand first, but wait, the waist swivel is stable right? has a bunch of friction?

Yeah, I agree 'cause believe me I tried. I think Tahu was just meant to show off a lot of the new pieces like a mannequin.

4 Likes

Seriously?
That was my theory. You were one of the few people who openly disagreed about it. This is an actual quote from then:
"@king328 He’s not similar to a Wendigo aesthetically speaking. Not at all. A Wendigo(if we’re talking about native legends here) is the urge for cannibalism personified and is used to explain the strange psychological behavior of those who begin to crave human’s as a food source. Believe me, Umarak looks nothing like a hunger depraved human being.

If anything, Umarak looks like a deer man. Specifically, his aesthetics bring to mind the hind legs of a deer, and the antlers of one to boot. He looks like some sort of jungle spirit."
I’m not angry exactly, it’s just funny how before you were like “No way he’s a wendigo” and now you’re like “I stand by my theory that he’s a Wendigo.” Again, no hard feelings, it’s just funny to me.

Thanks for backing up my original point, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, I am liking how the creatures look. I’m getting everyone again.

1 Like

that is a way harder process than one might think. my friend Corvin, who got a job as a set designer last year, explained me the process of designing a set, and he said he gave me the short version. took about two hours. i would just recite it here but that would take me too long.
point is, making a new piece is actually a very complicated process that has to be thought out alot before it actually even happens.

7 Likes

I think it’s totally justifiable. Lego doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on a mold for a complicated grebe piece and have it only used in one wave. It’s only reasonable that Lego want to get as much “mileage” out of it as possible to justify the cost of making the new mold.

1 Like

the new peices that they have made for the 2016 sets , i really like. can’t wait till i can see the sets irl though >.<

also hi @cat ! i really like your art :smiley:

@Fidda i reeeaalllyyy want a video of tahu

2 Likes

someone has tahu and ikir?
but will he make a video or just pics?

EDIT: ok, saw the pics, tahu´s upper torso looks good, but those legs?
they dont fit him

1 Like

There will be videos on BZP and our BZP youtube channel by the end of the week. A full write-up with detailed photos will be on BZPower as well, for both sets.

4 Likes

Hah! I told you! I knew BZpower is gonna review them first this time!

It’s funny. When I look at the 2015 sets I think they look a bit to osmooth, however the 2016 sets looks a bit cluttered at times. I feel like there is a huge mass of middle ground LEGO missed. All in all I don’t think any of the problems are set breaking for me, but I think there are things that could have been done better. It does seem like LEGO really did listen to customer feedback from 2015 (though the execution could have been done better) so I think we will see a lot of these problems fixed in 2017.

Peoples opinions on the 2015 sets were pretty polarizing at times. I saw some peoples favorite Toa go down as other peoples worst. I can’t say I will stake too much on one persons opinion because how different they were in 2015.

I think these are sets I really wan’t to see in hand and form my own opinion of. Though these reviews are very insightful for me, I won’t form a full opinion until I own the sets myself.

7 Likes