Bionicle 2023?

Apparently, there is a leaked photo of a 2023 GWP Tahu set for January 2023. Is this true and is Lego going to make a Tahu set?

5 Likes

I just hope it’s compatible with g1 and 2

1 Like

Keep in mind that there are two separate rumours here.

All of the images floating around are multiple months old, and were introduced without any kind of backstory or explanation.

The reason this is picking up again now is because an account on Instagram with an alleged reputation for predicting sets before they are officially announced claims that Set 40580 in early 2023 will be a Tahu GWP. The recent claim included no pictures or anything, nor was there any implication that the old images are legitimate.

7 Likes

Jerminator is correct, and there are three possibilities here:

The leak was fake, and someone assumed it was real
The leak was fake, but based on real info (like the Voloctoreb leak), so the set is real and the number changed
Both are real, and the number changed.

I am inclined to believe that the second leak is real. The first one is likely not.

8 Likes

The part that makes the least sense to me about the original images is the larger figure in the bottom right; it looks a lot like Akamai, but why would a one-off promotional set combine with other sets?

EDIT: Some people on the subreddit have interpreted this larger figure as being Tahu in Exo-Toa armour made from the display base. That sounds awesome if it’s real (plus it makes more sense than being Akamai).

5 Likes

Please let this be true! :pray: :weary:

2 Likes

…
is that the best lego can do

That looks like a slightly modified Nexo Knights battle suit figure. Sad to say, but that actually makes it a bit more believable to me when it looks like it really has no new parts, just printed slopes, and a body anyone could make by purchasing a cheap $10 set from 5 years ago. (Apologies for the rant. I just am slightly disappointed that that appears to be the best they can do. But if I’m proved wrong, that’s on me).

2 Likes

Agreed. They should have at least made a brick-built head since the head is just a slope and it doesn’t look good.

5 Likes

hopefuly its a fake or thats just the early stages

Is that a thing that Lego does? Is there any precedent for thinking that Lego would make a stickered face as a placeholder, rather than just waiting until a simple brick-built head was done?

The only way that would make sense to me would be if it were a placeholder for a new mold that wasn’t done yet, but that doesn’t make sense either in this case for different reasons.

6 Likes

Now if they made the Mata as minifigures…

3 Likes

I think it’s great. Doesn’t need to be fully furnished with bells and whistles every time they put it on a shelf. There’s also the opportunity for a UCS line of Bionicle sets, if this takes off and justifies it, and we meganerds can get our kicks on that route. In the meantime, Lego’s gotta pour a brand foundation, and with petroleum prices primed to skyrocket 24/7, keeping the set simple favors customer accessibility. It ain’t '07 G1, but it’s still pretty good considering the economic factors at play. I think it’s best to support this effort, because if we don’t, they’ll just cancel it again and we’ll never get our “bigger-and-better” dream sets.

5 Likes

that is true - lego is giving us a chance, so lets show them that we will take it and we will buy bionicle agian!

2 Likes

What’s in the bottom left of the second picture?

It seems to be some sort of alternate model.

At first, I thought it was Akamai, but then multiple people on the subreddit pointed out that it might actually be an Exo-Toa built from the display base.

The Exo-Toa makes more sense; assuming this is real, why would a one-off GWP set combine with other sets?

3 Likes

If it is just a one off set then I hope these are fake and instead we get a matanui robot.

1 Like

wait
what if
@Axelford
he may be yours
he may be the gsr’s gwp
it’s a stretch, but a welcome one

2 Likes

I’ve seen other people thinking that, and I’ve even considered it myself, but I’m not sure if that works out chronologically; if Axelford’s project is accepted, it would be announced in early 2023, and then I don’t think it would actually release until mid-to-late 2023, well past the predicted release date for the GWP.

It becomes even more chronologically impossible if the current images turn out to be accurate, since that would mean that the GWP was in production well before the Ideas project even hit 10,000 supporters.

So unless Lego has so much faith in Axelford’s project that they made promotional material for it before it even achieved support, and will have a model ready for an announcement-day release, I don’t think this GWP can be for the project.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just the tahu figure shown semi-deconstructed and fully built. presumably a reference to this imagery from the instruction booklets:

(Sorry about the low quality, BMP’s scans aren’t the greatest.)

On another note, I’ve seen an article regarding this set as well as at least one other recently rumored set that seems believable and I think is important that people know about:

TL;DR: Rather than being a traditional GWP, the tahu set will be an exclusive perk for a paid subscription service that acts as a sortof add-on to the LEGO VIP program.

I haven’t heard of this site before and am not sure how reliable of a track record they have, but I think people should at least be aware of the possibility of this scenario.

4 Likes